Spikes

Spikes

•  

When you play, how do you choose the type of spike for a particular course condition? Is there a preference for the Cyclone or Tour Flex or Standard Soft Spike?

•  

I keep the same spikes on my shoes and never change. The Champ Stinger is the ideal spike that I have found thanks to one of the Pros we have in this forum, 19hole, who recommended it to me. Darn glad he did and if you will take note, all ICONS and several other FootJoy shoes come with that brand of spike as standard. That tell you something??

•  

I use Black Widow Tour that allow me two setting positions, firm and comfort, according to the course conditions.

•  

no i just use the ones that comes with me shoes and then after a year or so i get the same spike that where on the shoes

•  

Thomas

First, I do not think I've properly welcomed you to the forums. I hope you enjoy the interactions here.

Your question is good. I use the Champs Stinger model, which is what Eagle mentions. I wear Icons, and so I have found the Stinger suits my needs quite well. And they have a variety of colors so you ca neven personalize them. And they wear vey nicely, much better than other brands.

As for things like Black Widows, I have used them but grown away from them. I find they are hard to clean and then they wear very quickly. Do they hold your feet solid? Absolutely, but with the issues I mention.

•  
    Tar Heel

Thomas

First, I do not think I've properly welcomed you to the forums. I hope you enjoy the interactions here.

Your question is good. I use the Champs Stinger model, which is what Eagle mentions. I wear Icons, and so I have found the Stinger suits my needs quite well. And they have a variety of colors so you ca neven personalize them. And they wear vey nicely, much better than other brands.

As for things like Black Widows, I have used them but grown away from them. I find they are hard to clean and then they wear very quickly. Do they hold your feet solid? Absolutely, but with the issues I mention.

I agree Tar Heel they do wear really easy and they are hard to clean
    • 3500 points

You can't really go wrong. I thought the Cyclone spike was exclusive to the XPS and DJ Tour shoes. The Champ spike is good enough for the ICON, its good enough for any shoe. I like the Cyclone however, it does rip up softer greens. But its a solid spike. Ill let ya know after I play more rounds in them to see the wear and tear.

Thanks, and welcome Thomas

•  

i use the same spikes no matter what.  never really thought about changing for different conditions.  seems like too much work for not enough gain.

•  

Tar Heel

Thomas

Thank you for the Welcome, Glad to be here.

- ICONs for ALL

•  

dzabkar

You can't really go wrong. I thought the Cyclone spike was exclusive to the XPS and DJ Tour shoes. The Champ spike is good enough for the ICON, its good enough for any shoe. I like the Cyclone however, it does rip up softer greens. But its a solid spike. Ill let ya know after I play more rounds in them to see the wear and tear.

Thanks, and welcome Thomas

Thank you for the Welcome, Glad to be here.

I purchased the Cyclones from Golf Galaxy so that I could play (just after the snow melted). Those things grip like Claws...

-ICONs for ALL

•  

I don't think it matters too much which ones you use, the shoes now have all kind of grips on the soles and heels.  Change spikes often.  I remember having to switch from metal spikes and thought it was the end of the world.  The soft spikes are easier on the feetthough.

•  

I have three different types of spikes on my various FJ shoes.  The Icons and the Sport have Champ Stinger spikes.  My two DJTours have the SoftSpikes Cyclone.  And I still have black widows on my tow remaining pairs of DryJoys.  I agree with the comment that Black Widow are hard to clean and wear quickly, but each of the spikes wears over time.  Playing five days a week, my shoes each get worn about once a week.  I have noticed some odd wear on my Cyclones--a couple of the spikes have lost tines, while others on the same shoe show very little wear.  That's probably more a testament to how I move my feet than the quality of the spike.  Find what you like and stick to it.  I'll keep Cyclones on the DJTours and gradually move to Stingers on all the others.

•  

NCBob

I don't think it matters too much which ones you use, the shoes now have all kind of grips on the soles and heels.  Change spikes often.  I remember having to switch from metal spikes and thought it was the end of the world.  The soft spikes are easier on the feetthough.

just remember to replace your spikes before they get worn down and the built-in spikes begin to wear.

• 2671 points

Unfortunately with my addiction to FJ shoes I don't go thru spikes very often. I don't often wear the same pair for a while. And by the looks of all of this years choices I don't see and end in sight. Thank you FJ

•  

The std softspikes that come with FJ Icons seem to work very well.  I have tried the Black Widow's and they work fine however I did not see enough of a performance differential to make the switch going forward.  In fact, to Eagle and Tar Heels' point...they did wear down quicker...

IMHO