Metal Spikes vs. Soft Spikes

Metal Spikes vs. Soft Spikes

•  

I would rather wear metal, but trying to find the replacements is a problem. Many suppliers don't carry them. I have switched all my shoes to Black Widow brand and am finding them better than Soft Spikes, both in stability and wear.

•  

My course still allows metal spikes but it has been a few years since anybody has worn them.  We had a couple holdouts but they finally ditched the metal and changed to softspikes.  

• 40 points

Would much prefer putting through spike marks than the indents that the soft spikes make. Better grip and feel.

BRING BACK METAL SPIKES!!!!

•  

Interesting eagle, I guess I never really realized the instability in plastic versus metal.

I used to wear metal but really don't remember if I felt any more stable with them than I do today with plastic.

Obviously litigation with make any course change their policies however...

•  

I must disagree. I will NEVER wear metal again. The Black Widow series from SoftSpikes is a very good spike. The new ICON shoes come with the Champ spikes and they are every bit as stable as metal. They are also much more comfortable and a lot better for the greens.

•  

19hole

I must disagree. I will NEVER wear metal again. The Black Widow series from SoftSpikes is a very good spike. The new ICON shoes come with the Champ spikes and they are every bit as stable as metal. They are also much more comfortable and a lot better for the greens.

I agree with 19. I wore metal spikes for a long long time and I much prefer Soft Spikes. Plus not having greens chewed up is so much better.

•  

bholley

19hole

I agree with 19. I wore metal spikes for a long long time and I much prefer Soft Spikes. Plus not having greens chewed up is so much better.

Not only chewed up greens but chewed up golf cart floors, wooden decks, wooden bridges, and torn carpet.  Soft spikes are better all the way around

•  

nickpoz

bholley

19hole

Not only chewed up greens but chewed up golf cart floors, wooden decks, wooden bridges, and torn carpet.  Soft spikes are better all the way around

Yeah, I remember the good old days of chewed up carts, carpets and wooden pathways. I just forgot about those. I now use only Black Widow and will be trying the Stinger as soon as I get them when we get down to Texas. The Academy Sporting Goods store carries them. They are supposedly as good as metal and that is right up my alley.

Thanks for the reminder about the 'GOOD OLD DAYS"  Nick

•  

eagle, I'm glad you are a convert. Your feet and your facility will both love you for it!

• 63 points

I really miss the sound of metal spikes walking towards the clubhouse.  I'm of the opinion that if you can't walk on a golf green in metal spikes without tearing it apart, you shouldn't be allowed on a golf course. I guess they could hang out at the driving range until they discover how to pick up their feet when they walk.  Although, I have seen some badly gauged greens from soft spikes too.  So I think it's more laziness than anything.  Why should we all suffer because a few people can't pick up their feet!!

•  

I think with the quality of the plastic spikes out there nowadays that stability shouldn't really be a concern...at least not to a golfer of my ability.

•  

To be honest, the only time you should even need spikes is when it is wet. If you are swinging within yourself your should be able to play in almost any kind of shoes. It is not uncommon for me to play in my spikeless shoes. If I have them on and get the chance to play, I may not bother to change them. During a round I don't think that I would say I wished I had spikes on unles I get a very severe sidehill lie or if the ground is wet.

Try to practice in non-spiked shoes and I bet you balance and tempo will really improve.

•  

I have seen a couple people practicing on the range bare foot.  I know that helps a lot with tempo because if you swing too fast, your going to lose your balance.  One doctor I know, does this all the time and he has a nice smooth swing.

I don't like to play without spikes because I feel I lose some stability and control in my feet and I don't want to run the risk of slipping during any part of my swing.