Another entry in the golf shoe market

Another entry in the golf shoe market

•  

Not sure when these guys are going to figure out that it's hard to get traction (pun intended) with a new, as in just produced, golf shoe in the market, especially when there is a clear market leader in FootJoy.

First we saw Spieth's UnderArmor shoes in Hawaii. I got a press release today that New Balance is coming out with golf shoes. I'm sure they'll have some appeal to those who prefer New Balance in running/fitness shoes, but will it really be worth NB's investment? 

Here's the link to the news release, and in it is the link to New Balance where you can see the shoes. Yawn. 

http://www.thegolfwire.com/stories/308211

•  

UGLY

everyone wants a piece of FJ's pie...  and we all know Devin loves his desserts ;-)

•  

Thanks for sharing! ....This is terrible news since the last thing the golf shoe market needs are more choices in an already crazy segment...however they always seem to go after the "wide" width shoe market (which FJ already covers successfully from my perspective) and it seems like they are doing the same in the golf segment...I thought it interesting that they are using a running shoe last for their golf shoes.  Maybe if I was playing speed golf it would be of value! LOL  

• 1373 points

While I'm always a proponent of competition in any business, my feet and business will be sticking with FJ.  

•  

"Hey, everyone else is in the golf market. Why don't we jump in too. We make shoes!"

Companies creating line extensions "just because they are in a related segment" doesn't always drive the best outcome, especially when you come up against the big boys. In many ways, the move makes perfect sense, since NB brand is sold in a very limited way, so they can control this launch to some extent. But it will be VERY expensive for them to break into green grass locations and other retail, and in all likelihood they will be forced to buy their way in.

It's not really bad news at all. It makes a company like FJ, who is very focused on the golf only market, stay their course and continue to tell their story about how and why they are the market leader. Many come and go. The strongest and smartest survive.

• 1373 points

What I wanted to add, but hit "reply" too early is that I think NB can successful, to a point.  They're probably not going to get converts from FJ since I have never seen anything like the brand loyal FJ fosters.  (And for good reason.  Once you enjoy the best, you don't leave.)

For newer golfers, or others who that may not have golf shoes already, and if they wear NB running shoes, they walk into a store see NB, it's familiar and they may be able to carve out a small niche for themselves on that principle.  

I wonder if this is the start of something more for NB and the next play is to get into apparel.  

• 688 points

Sketchers has jumped into the golf shoe market also. They call them GOgolf. Prices run from $110-115 a pair. From their website: "Featuring the award-winning performance innovations found in our running footwear, Skechers GOgolf is one of the lightest golf shoes available. The zero drop design keeps your foot in a neutral position that's low to the ground for a solid foundation."

•  

They will very quickly find out that the golf shoe is not just another atheltic shoe. It is a very specialized market and product. The consumer will quickly tell them if they have managed to get it right or not!

•  

I don't think NB will be able to make money with golf shoes. If someone is a runner and a golfer then chances are they are already using a golf shoe that works well for them. Just because someone runs in NBs doesnt mean they will golf in them. With all the the sporty options already I am not sure how they will do something different.

• 3688 points

They certainly look like a NB shoe (style).  But they also look very vanilla.  Nothing real awesome jumps out at me and I'd look them over in a heartbeat if I was in a store.  There's nothing to catch my eye.

• 19 points

Chris92009
    Thanks for sharing! ....This is terrible news since the last thing the golf shoe market needs are more choices in an already crazy segment...however they always seem to go after the "wide" width shoe market (which FJ already covers successfully from my perspective) and it seems like they are doing the same in the golf segment...I thought it interesting that they are using a running shoe last for their golf shoes.  Maybe if I was playing speed golf it would be of value! LOL

I can't agree that FJ covers the "wide" market. The only option I have from FJ is MyJoys and only some shoes there. I have a 4E width and New Balance has pretty much been my only choice for street shoes too.

•  

It's really tough to beat an array of great styles from FootJoy (preaching to the choir).

And it's also even tougher to beat an array of quality in durability performance standard golf shoes, not to mention, functionality from FootJoy (choir responding to preacher)

Backed by a guarantee! (all together now- lol)

•  

Maybe their distribution will be through SAM's, COSTCO, etc

•  

New Balance introduced a golf shoe about 6 years ago. A friend of mine was a NB salesman and he gave me a pair of black and a pair of brown shoes. The shoes were built on the same last as their dress shoes. The sole separated from the upper, on the brown pair, I still have the black pair.

• 2420 points

All it is is someone in  NB development trying to keep their job...."I now lets create a golf shoe line "....... Yuck !

From the looks of those shoes their folks in development have swung and missed IMO.