ICON SPIKES

ICON SPIKES

• 989 points

Do you replace spikes each season or wait until they are wore out. I just replaced icons after 1 year and 3 or 4 were hard to get out. You could still see the C on spike

•  

I've heard from other people to put your shoes in a shallow pan with just enough water to get to the spikes. Then let them soak for about an hour and the spikes come out easy. I have not tried this yet, but I am planning on doing this next time.

As far as time to change the spikes, just when ever I think they need to be changed. Since I play all year long and have many pairs, it's just a matter of looking at the wear of the spikes and making a judgement call. Cheers!

•  

I'm like Don when it comes to changing spikes.  One trick I've found to taking the spikes out is to use needle-nose pliers.  Just grab on and any spike will come out, even those that won't come out with a spike wrench.

•  

I also use the Champ Stinger Spikes and change them when the C wears thin.....I play around four rounds a week and rotate my shoes as well.....I use a ratchet style spike changer and it makes changing spikes a lot easier.....this style was recommended to me by our proshop a few years ago......

• 404 points

Chuck:  I also us the Champ Stinger Spikes and use the ratchet style spike wrench as well and agree it makes changing the spikes much easier.  I have never had any issues since using this style spike wrench.

• 989 points

OK THANKS. THE ONES THAT WERE STUCK DID HAVE DRIED MUD IN THE SLOT

• 989 points

I DO HAVE 3 PAIR THAT I ROTATE AND THE C WAS VISABLE BUT THE SPIKES WERE WORE. WISH WE COULD STILL USE METAL SPIKES

•  

No you don't.  Not really.  Metal spikes wore down also; marked fairways, greens, walkways, and floors; and we frequently had "spinners," spikes that would not come out regardless of what you tried to get them out.  Led to having to replace the shoe.  Plus, the soft spikes are far more comfortable on the feet.

• 989 points

I started playing golf in 1966 and can count on one hand the number greens that had marks that were any worse than the soft spike drag mark. And i never had to change a metal spike cause it was wore out. Any type spike for any sport is there to grip which will lead to some marks. I still have classics with metal that i take out sometimes.

• 4131 points

golferdrmjr
    I've heard from other people to put your shoes in a shallow pan with just enough water to get to the spikes. Then let them soak for about an hour and the spikes come out easy. I have not tried this yet, but I am planning on doing this next time.

As far as time to change the spikes, just when ever I think they need to be changed. Since I play all year long and have many pairs, it's just a matter of looking at the wear of the spikes and making a judgement call. Cheers!

That is a neat trick.

•  

golferdrmjr

Great idea! I am going to have to try this going forward.  

Obviously, the spikes wear out after use..it depends on how many shoes you have in your rotation...if you are like Bobby and have lots of good looking shoes to match your outfits you may only change once a year...if you have only one or two shoes you may need to change every couple of months...also depends on the surfaces your walk on...such as asphalt at a public course putting your shoes on in the parking lot and walking a long distance to the facility etc... Basically, watch the wear of your spikes.  I notice that my heel spikes wear out frequently so I tend to change them twice as often as the other spikes on my shoes.  Overall, I would suggest do whatever works best for you.  Great topic!

•  

One additional trick is to make sure you have the spike wrench with a T handle. It allows for much better leverage to turn the spikes out easily. Never had an issue using this equipment.

Here's one additional trick. Before you wear the shoes, loosen each spike and then tighten it back up. Sometimes the torque in the factory is a tad tighter and once you start to walk on the shoe the spike tightens more. Works equally well, and I have never lost a spike or had an issue using this method.

This does remind me I have a couple shoes to change out right now....

•  

Looks like there's plenty good info on spikes up there.

Don & Randy, thanks for those tips!

. . . and it's probably time for mink oil and shoe lace replace/maintenance, too.  At least a couple of my white laced need to be white again... they're fine and won't break... they would just look better new and white again.

Me, too, I also, don't want to go back to metals...  I still remember the first time when a friend put his foot on my car bumper to tie his shoes- I freaked out!  (not on my 3 year old Toyota Corolla!  lol)  Then he showed me they were cool plastic spikes...  I couldn't wait to get them fast enough.  

• 989 points

I also noticed that the replacements are yellow. The white must just be for factory use.

•  

lm14134

I also noticed that the replacements are yellow. The white must just be for factory use.

If you get the spikes labeled "FootJoy" and not "Champ" there are four colors available. White, Blue, Orange, and Red are the colors you can get, although you might have to order them from someone online to get the color you want. Cheers!