FootJoy ReelFit golf shoes

FootJoy ReelFit golf shoes

• 63 points

I purchased a pair of ReelFit two months ago, and love the fit.  One BIG problem: the cable sticks when I pull the release, and thus the shoe doesn't loosen with out a great deal of effort.  The situation has continued to worsen each time I wear them, but after they've sat in my garage for a couple weeks the release works.

I contacted FootJoy and they said they'd send a repair kit, or I could send the shoes to them and the would fix them.  I've waited a month and haven't got the repair kit.  I'm histant to send them my shoes as I'm not sure when I'll get them back or that their fix would permanently resolve the problem.

I've read that sand sometimes causes the problem.

I live in Colorado so I don't think it's a moisture problem. 

I really like these shoes, and just want to fix the release.

•  

I had this problem as well on 1 of my shoes. What I did was,pull out the knob and run warm water over it .The  I would tighten the shoe(w/out my foot in it) and repeat this 2-3 more times.This seemed to solve the problem as it hasn't occured again. Hope this helps.

•  

IBGOLFIN

I purchased a pair of ReelFit two months ago, and love the fit.  One BIG problem: the cable sticks when I pull the release, and thus the shoe doesn't loosen with out a great deal of effort.  The situation has continued to worsen each time I wear them, but after they've sat in my garage for a couple weeks the release works.

I contacted FootJoy and they said they'd send a repair kit, or I could send the shoes to them and the would fix them.  I've waited a month and haven't got the repair kit.  I'm histant to send them my shoes as I'm not sure when I'll get them back or that their fix would permanently resolve the problem.

I've read that sand sometimes causes the problem.

I live in Colorado so I don't think it's a moisture problem. 

I really like these shoes, and just want to fix the release.

IBGOLFIN --

I will contact you offline to make sure you get taken care of.

Regards,

ML

• 63 points

Thanks, I tried it and it did loosen things up.  Hopefully it will last.  Guess if it doesn't I'll just do it again......

•  

Hey Mike, your efforts to help a FJ customer like that shows why there are so many loyal FJ customers.

IB --- you're in good hands with FJ (wow --- I sound like an Allstate commercial)

•  

I've been lucky enough to not have any issues with my FootJoys, but I everything I hear about the service is so great - FJ does the best job in the industry hands down as far as players I've talked with are concerned.  Great job standing behind your product.

• 35 points

i think that i might be in the same boat but my reelfits are about a year old and for some reason i can't get the left shoe to loosen up anymore, but the right shoes works perfectly. I see that some people have given some advice but i am not sure what you mean by the hot water solution? Some advice would be greatly appreciated.  Also i have a a pair of all Black reel fits and they are great so I am kinda bummed that I might lose my white ones.

•  

I could just never get into the ReelFits, I think because I have a very high arch.  Anyone else have that problem?

• 36 points

Same thing here. Left shoe would tighten but not loosen. I was told to try repair myself, I received simple instruction, or return shoe for repair. The tool I used to unscrew the metal screw at the center of the knob was a hand held wire cutter with sharp, pointed tips. Place both tips in the small indentations ( like a small version of unscrewing cleats off a golf shoe ). Remove the pin. Remove the knob. You will see the plastic spool that holds the black plastic laces. I removed the spool slightly, unwound the lace one revolution and rewound tightly. I took a moist cue tip and cleaned all the nooks and crannies. I took the knob and ran hot water over it. Replaced the spool and held it in tightly woven clockwise. I placed the knob over the spool and tightned down the spool with the knob turning clockwise. At this point I replaced the screw and tightened down. Viola! Works like a charm again. John 

•  

Johnnygolfer

Really wonderful detail in your assistance to the fellow FJ folks here. Thank you so much for reaching out and sahring your insights.

IB and alez, I hope this helps you both out. If not, as Mike has said, send him a note and I know he'll get you all the info you need to correct this in your shoes.

Remember... FootJoy. THE number 1 shoe in golf. It's not just a marketing slogan!

•  

Hi everyone -

If you are having problems, you can contact our FJ Warranty Department at (800) 224-8501 or click here for an online form.  They have the repair kits available.

Best Regards,

ML

• 248 points

How do we go about in getting this tool and instructions to fix my ReelFit shoes?

• 15 points

I have the same problem. I live in the UK but I bought a pair of Reelfit Shoes while on holiday in the USA last September'09.

They have been great until yesterday when the quick release mechanism on both shoes failed. I have read the replies here and I think i may have some sand inside the mechanism. I dont want to risk opening the mechanism myself if i can help it. I see some people used hot water, should i just pour it through / over the heel twist ?.. Many thanks in advance.

•  

You know, any time I have witnessed a problem with  any FJ product, staff always comes thru and makes good on the problem with excellent repair or replacement. And we all notice that this is the case with problems within this Communtiy. I can't remember whose idea it was to create this communtiy, but Mike & Chris have come to the rescue numerous times. They both deserve many ATTA BOYS for their dedication and expertise and I, for one, am deeply grateful for their efforts. The parent company, Acushnet, should be very proud to have these two in their employ.

• 115 points

Same issue, same left shoe will tighten nicely, but when release knob pulled steel cable doesn't loosen. I've owned this black pair for at least 5-years and have noticed slow cable release on the left shoe for a year or so. I tried water, wd-40, blowing air and nothing helped. So I followed the instructions listed in this forum and removed the center screw, pulled off the knob and discovered a piece of the plastic cable-reel had broken off and caused binding. I removed the broken piece, pulled the cable taught, and reinstalled the center screw. After operating the mechanism multiple times so-far-so-good. Proof will be after tomorrows round! (Hope the broken piece of spool is non-essential...) Yours in Golfing!