Shoe Tree Maintenance

Shoe Tree Maintenance

• 3296 points

How does one preserve the efficacy of shoe trees?  Newer tree's are aromatic and feel/look less dense compared to ones that I've used for years.  

I'm thinking that older ones could be lightly sanded?  Any thoughts? Common practices?

• 4131 points

I use a fine grit sand paper every couple of years on mine.

•  

I never really gave it any thought.....but will consider the sand paper......I just put them in the shoes and take them out....I have noticed the quality going down over the years......I just took into consideration where they are being made and how much I paid for them.......cz  : )

•  

Not tried the sandpaper every couple of years but I will give it a shot!  It makes sense!

•  

Light sandpaper and cedar oil!

• 1362 points

This is great advice, thank you very much.

• 3688 points

Yeah definitely give em a light sanding on occasion (not too often of course) and make sure its very light!

• 3296 points

[quote user="TNT009"]Light sandpaper and cedar oil![/quote

Hadn't thought about the oil. Is that for just for fragrance or does it add anything else (e.g. allow the wood the absorb moisture, etc). What grit is considered ligh?

•  

TNT009
    Light sandpaper and cedar oil!

Doesn't the oil absorb into the shoe?

• 4131 points

I use 100 or higher grit paper.

•  

Not if you sand the tree and put oil on a paper towel in a very light coat! It's mostly for the smell effect!