Spikes that PGA Tour pros use?

Spikes that PGA Tour pros use?

•  

I noticed at Tournament this week some pros using what appears to be spikes in their FJ shoes... Is this correct? Also does anyone know what percentage use non spikes? 

•  

Funny, I had just read this article in GD.

www.golfdigest.com/.../gawr-johnson-equipment-0409

TT

•  

I think it is about 25% from an article a while back.  Some events will not allow metal spikes any longer.  A few Master's ago, I think VJ went at it with Phil over his spikes.  Must have been rigth after he sprayed himself with deer antler spray and was having a "rage" moment.

•  

BostonBuzza
    I think it is about 25% from an article a while back.  Some events will not allow metal spikes any longer.  A few Master's ago, I think VJ went at it with Phil over his spikes.  Must have been rigth after he sprayed himself with deer antler spray and was having a "rage" moment.

I think It may actually be higher then that, 30 - 40%, many wear a hybrid softspike and metal combo, I believe it is made by Champs.

•  

Devin, is the hybrid spike the ones with the metal in the middle and soft spikes surrounding the centered middle spike?

I can't remember when I last had a pair of metal spikes on, but I can tell you it was back during my caddying days, and I certainly remember holding on to the back of a golf cart in the cart barn and creating sparks all over the place.  It was like bumber riding.  Boy the things you do as a youngster.

• 2781 points

I can't believe that it is as high as 30-40% I figured it would be lower with the improvement of technology in softer spikes.

•  

i always liked metal spikes and resisted switching until the end.  i think i heard Furyk wears them on one foot?

• 4180 points

I don't know that at any time where I've golfed that metal spikes were real common (I'm a young'n!).  It's interesting that the pros will do things like metal on one foot and plastic on the other.  Anything to get that edge you need right?

•  

BostonBuzza
    Devin, is the hybrid spike the ones with the metal in the middle and soft spikes surrounding the centered middle spike?

I can't remember when I last had a pair of metal spikes on, but I can tell you it was back during my caddying days, and I certainly remember holding on to the back of a golf cart in the cart barn and creating sparks all over the place.  It was like bumber riding.  Boy the things you do as a youngster.

yes they are

•  

Metal spikes are a vivid memory for me.  That meant you were at the golf course and that sound is unmistakable.  Plus the marks on the floors at courses from those days.

TT

• 784 points

loved metal spikes, wish most courses allowed them...

•  

Remember the big deal created by VJ over the length of Phil's metal spikes.  

•  

wow, it feels like forever since metal spikes. I don't mind plastic spikes at all.