M Project versus XPS-1 Versus iCONs versus Dry Joys, etc..

M Project versus XPS-1 Versus iCONs versus Dry Joys, etc..

• 5378 points

Foot Joy continues to widen the array of shoe styles and models available to golfers. The last two models (I think) introduced are the XPS-1 line and now the M Project line. To my eye, it would seem like you could not find to more different shoes. The XPS shoe seems to be a solid, substantial platform raised off the ground but quite lightweight. The new M Project seems to be the opposite direction - a minimalist shoe emphasizing feel and contact with the whole of the foot and the ground. meanwhile ICON, Dry Joy, and Contour seem to be high performance golfing platforms in their own right(s). Closer to the middle of the range defined by XPS and M Project.

Can you wear tall FootJoy shoe styles or is there a last and shoe model that is best for each golfer based on fit and feel? Can I really rip loose on shots wearing the XPS -1 secure in knowing the platform holds steady under the stresses and perhaps enhances my confidence? Or do I need and want my feet to feel the ground, the contours of the turf so that I can have a more accurate idea of how my swing will work wearing the M Project?

Comments anyone? Will your swing vary with these different styles of golf shoe? By the way, I love 'em all!

•  

Good question Pistol.  There definitely a difference in feel.  I have worn  Dry Joys forever, then a foot injury caused me to by a pair of super lights and they are very low.  I believe there is more stability in the Dry Joy.  Technology has advance so much though that  almost all (Foot Joy) provide a very good base to play from.

• 1979 points

Great question.

I prefer Icon's when I walk and XPS-1's when ridding in a cart. Either way I will buy a pair of these new M Project's to see how they feel!

•  

The XPS-1 certainly is a very stable shoe and may give you more confidence with your swing. This may in turn lead to a better shot.  For others, a lighter shoe with greater feel may instill that confidence.  It is really preference.

Having said that, I believe that the construction of the shoe has a significant impact on the overall performance of the golf swing.  I have found major differences in the ball flight based on the type of shoe I am wearing.  I have been on the monitor so the stats were available to see and compare. There were differences in the launch angle based on the shoe I am wearing - up to nearly a 4 degree variance based on the model of the shoe.  This is with the driver.  

I have not noticed a "playable" difference between the spiked shoes and the  spike-less versions - which I suspected that I would.  Initially, I suspected that the "spike-less" shoes would act much like the spiked version when it becomes clogged with grass.  I was wrong.  They have some great grip and are less prone to the "grass clog".  

As for a swing varying based on the shoe, I would say no.  If your swing is inconsistent, it is probably not the result of the shoes, but rather your ability or skill.  

•  

I think the light weight M is going to win a lot of old school FJ  enthusiasts over!

•  

I too have spent a lot of time in "the Box" and for me I hit the ball almost exactly the same in every shoe. The exception is the DryJoy Tour. For some reason I just can't get back to my left side when I wear them.

I don't swing nearly as hard as some of the guys here (ToddL, OUTIGER, Whaql1) but I am around 100-105 driver clubhead speed. I normally play in ICONs, but I have a few pair on Contours that get worn too. I have played in Contour Casuals and XPS-1s. I like the comfort of the XPS but the style is not my favorite. I have hit balls in both the M Project line, spiked and spikeless. I actually preferred the spikeless.

The biggeset difference I can say it that in The Box it is dry. I found the first time I used my Contour Casuals and it was a bit damp, they felt like they slipped a bit. Changed to a pair of ICONs and that went away.

Pick a shoe the first of all fits properly and is comfortable to walk in.It then becomes personal preference with the style, what gives you the best stability in all playing conditions.

As Todd says, If you lack a bit of consistancy in you swing the shoe isn't the cure, but it will help a bit.

•  

I play in what is comfortable and looks good to me.  My preference is the Icon or the XPS-1.  I have other types but they are mostly for practice. I tried on the M Project and it is not for me while playing.

Trial and error is the only way to know what will work for you.  Just like clubs, get fitted and know what shoes fit you.

TT

•  

Shoe is no different than a golf club, some are going to "fit" well and work with our game, some will not, and some will need to be tweaked to meet our needs. I have used many different styles of Footjoys and I always come back to the ICON for the fit, comfort, and confidence in the grip.

I was sure I would love the XPS-1 because my front foot tends to slip out on my downswing but when I tested a pair it caused me to shift my weight too much on my front side and my balance was all off. The ICONs let me foot slip a little for my balance but not too much, to each their own.  

We wouldn't take a club off the rack and start playing with it would we? Shoes are no different!

•  

i agree with what is being said, shoes are a preference thing.  i love my icons and, even though i tend to swing hard, i don't feel the need to go with the XPS-1.  i've really focused on keeping my swing balanced the last few years and because of that, i have confidence that i won't slip no matter what i'm going to wear.  and as we all know, having confidence in a shot is one of the most important factors.

•  

The golf shoe is like your clubs, and thus a very personal choice. I have always like the look and the feel of  a more athletic style shoe, so the SYNR-G and now the XPS-1's are my shoes of choice. The other shoe I have that I like is FJ Street, but tend to wear those for more casual rounds or practice. One of these days I will pull the trigger on a pair of Icon's, but just have not fiound the right one yet (trust me, I have designed a TON on MyJoys)

The best part of FJ is the ability to have all of these great products under one roof, and you know the quality will be top of the line regardless of the shoe you pick.

•  

This is a great thread Pete.  I prefer the XPS-1 while playing competive golf or rounds I am really focusing on my game.  I get a better sense of being "grounded" knowing I have the traction I expect.  I love the contours when I am walking or playing around with my kids or trying to work on specific parts of my game.  I have tried the M Projects and really get the "feel" sense and feedback and preffered the spikeless version.

• 5378 points

You guys have all made excellent points about the suitability of the Foot Joy lines -  Indeed, FJ has done a great job of putting out a diverse line of high quality shoes to suit a wide variety of preferences of a demanding clientele. I look forward to trying the new M Project shoe -  while I  have worn DryJoys and Icons and love them, the idea of a lighter, less structured shoe is appealing. Keep sharing your thoughts and preferences.. Great stuff!

• 335 points

Pistolpete I see you are living in Mass,  would you like to come into the FJ Shoe box and see first hand how they differ?

•  

Pistol, take Joe up on this offer...you will love it!

•  

19hole
    Pistol, take Joe up on this offer...you will love it!

i agree.  take him up on that.  you won't regret it!  i live 6 hours away and it's a good enough offer, i would consider driving that far to do it.