Forums

Classics to Icons...

• 2756 points

Just wondering if one of the FJ staffers, or resident FJ experts, can share the history behind the decision to drop the "Classics" name in favor of "Icons"?

Not that I don't like the name/acronym  "Icons", just curious what came about a few years ago that changed the name.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan :)

•  

They are two totally different shoe lines. The ICON replaced the Classic/Classic Dry Premiere in 2009. There are a number of older posts on the subject, but the short answer is that the cost of Classics would have been so high that the only guys wearing them would be the Tour guys. The ICON is a better shoe on all accounts; it is lighter, more comfortable out of the box, is really waterproof and has a great retail price point.

•  

By no means an expert but when FJ made the (sad) decision to stop making classics because of the cost imagine they wanted a new name to differentiate the new from the old.

Not exactly sure where "ICON" came from but great name to carry on the FJ tradition of classic golf shoe production.

I like many others on this forum am a huge ICON fan and despite the great other shoes in the FJ range - it's only ICON for me.

OZ-Crocman

•  

Icon definition- "An important and enduring symbol." That is of course second after you migrate through all the religious iconography and definitions.

The "Icon" shoe came in to be additive to the Classics and Classics Premier line up. Change is inevitable, and if you don't change, you die. I still have many pairs of the Classics, each with craftsmanship that rivals the finest footwear in the world. But in today's world, completely unaffordable and totally unsustainable for the industry.

For those of us here who have worn both ranges of shoes, while we love and still cherish our Classics, we would never for a minute stop wearing our new Icons, because the new is simply more comfortable with much higher performance levels. Period.

Classics were. Icons are.

•  

Interesting topic, Ryan. . . and thanks Guys, for all the information.  I didn't know that.  But what I know is that I am glad the Icons are here today.  I love my Classics and will forever keep them.

• 2756 points

Thanks to those who shared their knowledge.  Love the history of these things.

Ryan

• 506 points

I'm not sure everyone would agree that Icons are better than Classics...

WW

•  

After wearing ICONs, I would NEVER wear any of my Classics. As nice as the Classics are/were they are not nearly as nice to play in as the ICONs!

•  

Icons all the way for me. My dad had a pair of classics and I wore them many times with delight. However, the Icon is far better in every way. The amount of technology in "just" a golf shoe...amazing. Kind of like when you break up with a 7 female for a 9: sure that 7 has got some good qualities but shes a beauty, that number 9 :).

•  

wwhitehead

I'm not sure everyone would agree that Icons are better than Classics...

WW

While I'm sure you are correct that not everyone thinks that Icons are better than Classics, most people do. I have four pair of Classics and eight pair of Icons and would not even think about walking 18 holes in the Classics now. The Icons are just more comfortable, lighter, and more high tech. I still love my Classics but only wear them on the occasional round when I have to use a cart. Most of us here feel the same way. But wear what you want, as long as they're FootJoys. :-)

• 164 points

classics all the way

•  

I'm glad I have three pairs of Classics, nothing is more dressy, even the Icons! The technology is better now and they are lighter! Pick your poison, I should say Joy!

•  

I agree TNT. Still have a pair in the locker I love

•  

Count me in on the ICON love -  haven't had a pair of Classics on for six months - now if I just had someone that wanted 23 pair of Classics.

• 5452 points

Love 'em both! Old world craftmanship from Brockton, Massachusetts did, alas, meet its match in the ICON line. Icons are very comfortable shoes, very high quality and as many have stated, the performance equal of the old Classics line with more comfort! Foot Joy's decision in 2008-2009 closed the last US-based Foot Joy plant - I am sure that at the time the economics compelled the company to move in this direction. You cannot lose money making a product and stay in business very long, regardless of how well made that product might be...