Forums

Keeping it clean?

• 1495 points

Whats the best way that the footboy community has found to keep your new footboys clean? I have a pair of Dry Joys and they just don't look like they used too. The toes on them are beat up and scuff beyond help. Looking into a new pair and want to make them last as long as I can.

•  

While FJ recommends just wiping them off after use. I always wipe them off and treat them with  leather cleaner/conditioner after each use and use shoe trees to  help keep them in good shape. Another thing is to always use a shoe horn when putting them on to keep the last in good shape. Also have 2 other pairs that I rotate so as not to keep using same pair as it does have a tendency to make them wear out faster. I currently have 2 pair that are over 6  yrs. old and still look good.

• 691 points

Mink oil, saddle soap, shoe polish. About every five rounds (unless they are really dirty) use saddle soap and thoroughly clean the leather and follow with a coat of shoe polish to help them retain shine and water repellency. Twice a year, usually the beginning and end of the season, treat the leather with mink oil so that the leather stays soft and water repellent while not in use. For the more athletic FootJoys or other white leather shoes, use a combination of the saddle soap, mink oil, neutral shoe polish, and to cover any deep or stubborn scuffs use the kiwi white athletic shoe whitener. Icons are made on the course, for the course.
  •  
    The shoe horn gets overlooked quite often and I've been guilty of heel slamming a shoe on- not FJ's though! Wipe down after every few shots!
    • 370 points

I just wipe mine off after each round with a wet rag, maybe a brush for the heavy stuff. Having at leat 2 pair of shoes really extends the mileage for each.

•  

Miguel, you are getting sound advice here from the team. Shoe trees, using shoe horns, and cleaning after each use, plus rotating will keep the FJ's looking new for a long time.

Now @ Jonathan.... one thing to consider and be careful with is shoe polish. My advise is to NOT use it, because it can actually dry the leather on your shoes out. Instead, try to use a good leather conditioner, like a Meguiers Car Care type. It's made for the leather in a car, and the emolients will keep the leather supple, and shiny all at the same time.

I never, ever have put polish on any of my Classics or Icons. But I put some letaher conditioner on after each wearing and then gently buff, leaving a nice shine and protectant on the shoe.

And yes, a little saddle soap, some mink oil, and for white shoes, a touch of Soft Scub rubbed on gently will make any shoe look brand new.

•  
    Randy, which brands do you use?
  •  
    TNT009
    Randy, which brands do you use?
    I use a combination of leather conditioner; Kiwi and Meguiers. I have also used leather care stuff from Giots Garage, a car care catalog. I use Kiwi Mink Oil and if I put a touch of polish on, it's Foot Joy.
    • 1495 points

Appreciate all the information on the shoe car guys. If ya can't play well ya might as well dress well, clean shoes are a good start to that.

•  

the best way i know to keep your shoes clean is dont wear them but if you do after the round just take some soap and water and wipe them down after the round

•  

Wheelez3030

the best way i know to keep your shoes clean is dont wear them but if you do after the round just take some soap and water and wipe them down after the round

It is NEVER, ever recommended to use soap and water to clean leather products. Proper shoes care is to be done with saddle soap, which is what I hope you meant. Regular soap contains chemicals that dry the leathers and will cause cracking. If you want your shoes to last, proper shoe care is absolutely a must, as stated above by others.

•  

Tar Heel

Wheelez3030

It is NEVER, ever recommended to use soap and water to clean leather products. Proper shoes care is to be done with saddle soap, which is what I hope you meant. Regular soap contains chemicals that dry the leathers and will cause cracking. If you want your shoes to last, proper shoe care is absolutely a must, as stated above by others.

Hey Randy, this is what it says on the FootJoy Shoe Care site;

Post-Round Upper Cleaning and Care
    - Clean leather or synthetic shoes after each round by removing dirt and residue using FootJoy shoe cleaner or mild soap and water.

Personally, I clean my shoes after every round. I clean the soles as best as I can at the course. Then, when I get home, I wash off the soles and uppers using as little water as I can. Then using one drop of mild soap, I clean the uppers to get any remaining stuff off. The soap is only on the shoes for, maybe one minute. Then a good rinse with clean water, light towel dry, and finish air drying at room temp. Some leather conditioner follows, with shoe cream if necessary after conditioner, buffing always for the finished look.

They always look great, but there are always special steps for damage from unexpected wear and tear. These are tricks you learn over time, or you ask for help for fixing the damage.

Of course, you could always do as Wheelez says and don't wear them. Find a nice shadow box to put FootJoys in and display them in your favorite spot. :-)

•  

Don....

Well now, I stand somewhat corrected. Every shoe expert I have spoken to says "no soap" on shoe leather because of the chemicals. I get that you want to use it on the soles for the composite material, but never on the leather. My only conclusion would be the waterproof nature of a golf shoe versus a Cole Hahn or a Allen Edmonds shoe.

Personally, I can say I have never used any soap on a golf shoe, focusing on using conditioner and a bit of the mink oil. And you've seen my FJ collection; they look brand new- every pair.

As for the shadow box. What fun is that? I like to wear my FJ's on course and let others see them. Too pretty to hide away!

•  

Tar Heel

Don....

Well now, I stand somewhat corrected. Every shoe expert I have spoken to says "no soap" on shoe leather because of the chemicals. I get that you want to use it on the soles for the composite material, but never on the leather. My only conclusion would be the waterproof nature of a golf shoe versus a Cole Hahn or a Allen Edmonds shoe.

Personally, I can say I have never used any soap on a golf shoe, focusing on using conditioner and a bit of the mink oil. And you've seen my FJ collection; they look brand new- every pair.

As for the shadow box. What fun is that? I like to wear my FJ's on course and let others see them. Too pretty to hide away!

Not wearing them was Wheelez's idea, not mine. I wear mine every chance I get.

•  

After each wear, I place the shoe trees back in the shoes, wipe them down, then use Meguiar's Leather Cleaner to clean them.  After cleaning, I apply Meguiar's Leather Conditioner followed by some buffing...keeps my FJs looking new and protects the leather.