Forums

Icon Sizing - please help!

• 30 points

Hi all, just registered as a forum member today. This is a long post, but please bear with me.

Need some help. I live in India (can't find Icons here!) and will be asking a relative to bring me a pair of Icons from the USA. However, am worried that the size won't be correct, which would be a shame and a waste.

Here's the dilemma - I wear Superlites, bought in India. They are made in China, Size 8.5W. I assume that these are UK sizing, which would indicate a 9.5 in US sizing. I checked some websites which convert measurements to US shoe sizing, and with socks on, my feet are 10.5 inches and 4.1 inches wide. All sites show that this equates to a US 9.5, which corroborates my guess that the superlites are a UK size. The worry, however, is the width. Some sites show that 4.1" is a Wide fit. Others show this as an Extra Wide fit.

Does anyone know how my foot measurements would translate to Footjoy Icon sizes? I have written to Footjoy, however they haven't responded. May I humbly request anyone wearing Icons in US 9.5 to measure their feet with golf socks on, and let me know what width Icons fit them well? May I also request Chris to let me know if he has any idea how my foot measurements would translate to Footjoy Icon sizing? I really wish Footjoy had a measurement conversion chart based on their different lasts - it would be so easy for those purchasing online!

It would have been simple if the fit of the superlites was the same as the icons, but given they have different lasts, I suspect that this isn't the case.

•  

J...

Thank you for writing. Two bits of advice... I am certain Devin from the FJ staff will be able to assist you. He is probably seeking information regarding UK sizing and all the specifics you need.

This is a very responsive group, so please be patient. I know you will get what you need.

All the best!

•  

Welcome to the FJA, jtank

FJ customer service is exceptional and will assist you in due time. Quick question, did you look at the FJ U.K site for information?

www.footjoy.co.uk

The MyJoys site has E.U sizing (just as a thought to assist).

-ICONs for ALL

• 30 points

Hi Tar Heel and Thomas

Thanks for your responses. I look forward to hearing from others.

I went to the pro shop and checked the footjoys available (no icons). Non of the shoes/boxes clarify whether the size is UK or USA. As per the conversion tables, I tried size 9.5 and they were far too big, so I'm guessing these are UK sizes.

There was a brannock measuring device available, so I measured my feet on this....9.5 medium. Now I'm assuming the brannocks device here is USA based, so this would be my USA size. But here's the million dollar question - does Footjoy size as per the brannock device? Could someone from Footjoy help me here?

•  

jtank,

Sorry for the delay on this matter.  Which model superlight is the shoe? This could help identify whether it is US or UK based sizing. I have also forwarded your dilemma to our UK team to see if they could shed any light on the situation.

Best,

DG

• 30 points

Hi Devin

I cannot determine what model my Superlites are - the tag inside says "58013S, 8 1/2 W, J3J, Made in China. From what I see on footjoy.com, there appears to be only one model for the superlites. Am I missing something?

Many thanks for your help.

•  

Is this your shoe?  If so, I believe you will need an XXW in the ICON as the shoe above features the competition last.  The competition last means the shoe will have a full rounded toe character, fuller fit across forefoot, full instep, with a slightly narrow heel.

ICON's have a narrower fit in almost every way (Contemporary, slightly square toe character, standard fit across forefoot and instep, with a slightly narrow heel).

I am still waiting to here whether India follows the US or UK scale.

• 30 points

Yes, these are my shoes. Today I received a reply from Acushnet, the relevant lines of which are as under

"The SuperLite shoes you currently have would be in US sizing if you have
    ordered them from a US retailer. The SuperLite is built on an Austin Last
    which is the most generous of all the Shoe Lasts we offer. The Austin Last
    features the fullest round toe character as well as across the forefoot.
    The FJ Icons are built on Laser or Laser Plus Lasts and you will find these
    Lasts a little more 'fitted' than the SuperLites when you put one on. We
    recommend that you try on any shoes before you buy them. The many different
    styling and Lasts used on shoes can provide you different feel when on your
    feet, even though you may be on trying on similar sized shoes."

I'll wait to get your clarification as to whether Footjoys in India are UK on US sizes.

•  

jtank

Yes, these are my shoes. Today I received a reply from Acushnet, the relevant lines of which are as under

"The SuperLite shoes you currently have would be in US sizing if you have
    ordered them from a US retailer. The SuperLite is built on an Austin Last
    which is the most generous of all the Shoe Lasts we offer. The Austin Last
    features the fullest round toe character as well as across the forefoot.
    The FJ Icons are built on Laser or Laser Plus Lasts and you will find these
    Lasts a little more 'fitted' than the SuperLites when you put one on. We
    recommend that you try on any shoes before you buy them. The many different
    styling and Lasts used on shoes can provide you different feel when on your
    feet, even though you may be on trying on similar sized shoes."

I'll wait to get your clarification as to whether Footjoys in India are UK on US sizes.

Jtank,

Your question traversed the globe and just landed back on my desk.  India now follows US sizing, in the past (pre 2006) they carried UK sizing that is why it was difficult to lock down an answer.

Hope this helps and let us know how you make out.

Best,

Devin Gmitter

• 30 points

Devin

many thanks. this clarifies it. fyi, fj's agent in India also got in touch (as advised by fj global) and advised me that there's going to be an icon promo in bangalore in the next 10 days! What luck?!

Even if I don;t like the models they have on offer, I'll get he sizing sorted out and order from the US as originally planned.

Really appreciate your help.

Cheers and regards