Forums

SoftSpikes or Metal?

•  

Does anyone still use metal spikes? I ask as a number of guys I play with moan and groan that they HATE non-metal spikes. I personally will never play in them again. I think that they are bad for the greens, are much harder on your feet and it is impossible to stand on any hard surface (cart path) and swing. Before anyone reminds me about the Rule that will provide relief from having to stand on a cart path, sometimes your lie is just so good you don't want to risk getting a bad one from the drop.

What are all of your opinions?

•  

I wish we were still allowed to wear metal spikes.  I would rock the Stinger Pros which are a soft spike with a metal spike in the middle.  Best of both world.  Too bad my club has a soft spike policy though.

Tim

• 5 points

I wish I could still were meatal spikes, Tiger still does

• 280 points

Does Tiger still always use metal spikes? I'm in the younger generation after the big transition so I know nothing but some soft spikes. Seems like metal spikes would be uncomfortable...

•  

I have 2 pairs of shoes with metal spikes in them.  My club also has the "no metal spikes" rule but I do go against it from time to time, especially when it hasn't rained or had moisture for awhile.  I just am very careful to make sure I pick up my feet when I walk.

I almost always wear the soft spikes, but I have to replace them every couple months or they wear down too much and I lose my stability.  Soft spikes are easier on the greens but I have seen people who leave worse marks in the greens with soft spikes than I do with my metal spikes.

Glad you pointed out the rule... I was going to toss it your way, but you make a very valid point.  At least if you hate the lie after the drop, you have one more attempt to get it right!

•  

I wonder if they don't let the metal spikes because of the rule where you can't repair spike marks on greens... since they seem to cause a little more of an indentation, this could cause trouble for others if you aren't careful.

Along those lines, I know Phil wears metal spikes, Vijay blasted him awhile back because of all the scuff marks he left in the greens...

•  

Most places have "banned" metal spikes for a number of reasons. Mostly because of the damage that they do to the greens.

The most visable is that they tend to spike up the greens. We all hate this because it can really add the luck factor back into our putting. Remember, no tapping down those spike marks!!!

The less obvious is that as the spike wear, the tips tend to form a small mushroom shape. This shape picks up different material (mostly grass) that is transplanted all over the course. Imagine walking through clover in the rough and then having that move into the green complex. Superindendants hate this. It is very difficult to kill all of the unwanted grass species in a green without spending a lot of time and money. You also risk longterm damage to the green root system.

I will personally never wear metal again. The alternatives not only work very well but are better for the course.

Look at the Champion Tour players, very few if any wear metal. It is just to hard on your feet.

•  

I agree soft spikes are better for the course, but sometimes I need to wear the metal spikes.  I like to think I am careful when wearing them and I make sure they are new. 

I can see the super's hating them though, they work hard on those greens, it's what people look at most closely and they don't need people like me screwing them up.

•  

I am glad that you understand why people don't like the metal and a concious of the damage they can do if you aren't careful when they are worn. I am sure your super appreciates that.

Maybe someday you will come over to the dark side.........

• 1033 points

Personally, I miss metal spikes.  I think they wear much better than soft spikes and I never lost a metal spike out of my shoe (I lose soft spikes all the time when I change them out, because of the fast-twist technology).  As for the argument about the greens -- I must be playing somewhere other than where most of you are playing because I notice much more damage to the greens from soft spikes than I ever did with metal spikes.  People who drag their feet are going to do it whether they are wearing metal or plastic--the difference is that most of the "soft" spikes have numerous contact points with the ground and allow for these people to actually rip and tear the greens.  I have played with people who have literally turned on the ball of their foot and annihilated the green right next to the hole.  Of course, if people knew proper etiquette and how to conduct themselves on a course (i.e. - picking your feet up when walking on the greens), then this wouldn't be an issue.  The only valid reason I can see for banning metal is the damage it does to permanent structures (cart paths, bridges, floors in the clubhouse).

•  

EMKelly0106

IAlong those lines, I know Phil wears metal spikes, Vijay blasted him awhile back because of all the scuff marks he left in the greens...

Watching the PGA yesterday I noticed that Phil is not wearing metal. Direct TV in HD is great for this stuff!

•  

Have never played in metal spikes, but would think walking 18 in them could be pretty hard on the knees.

•  

19hole

Does anyone still use metal spikes? I ask as a number of guys I play with moan and groan that they HATE non-metal spikes. I personally will never play in them again. I think that they are bad for the greens, are much harder on your feet and it is impossible to stand on any hard surface (cart path) and swing. Before anyone reminds me about the Rule that will provide relief from having to stand on a cart path, sometimes your lie is just so good you don't want to risk getting a bad one from the drop.

What are all of your opinions?

19hole - I agree with all of your points.  I would never switch back to metal spikes for all of the reasons that you mentioned.  Do you remember when Steve Elkington got DQ'd from US Open qualifying (I think) for wearing metal spikes when the local rules sheet said soft spikes only?

•  

memphis, I don't remember that.

•  

Oh,  I am already a regular on the dark side.  Just occassionally do I wear the metal spikes, not often at all.

I don't remember that either memphis.. you're knowledge of metal spike disqualifications is unparallel (just joking).  :)