Forums

Footjoy Classics care

• 225 points

I'm not sure where to post this but I'm having trouble finding the answer. I am a new owner of a pair of Classic Dry Premiere Purple Patent/White shoes. They are amazing right out of the box! Although I'm confused on the care for the leather sole and welt area. Footjoys care site says wipe with damp cloth and treat with leather oil. Well the first time I wore them it was wet outside and the dark brown around the sole came off on both toes and some in other areas.

So I went to my local shoe guy and he sold me some Neats Foot Oil which is leather oil. Is this what footjoy recommends to keep the soles good on the Dry Premieres? Or should I be using something different? It did bring back some of the brown I was seeking but.... Just doesn't look the same as when I first put them on. I loved them so much I got a 2nd pair on the way and as soon as the Icon MyJoys are out I will have a pair of those too! Once again if this is in the wrong section please move :)

Thanks

•  

I have been wearing CDPs for years and I find that they last a very long time (I have a pair that is 7 years old!) with just a little care.

This is what I do:

Don't wear them two rounds in a row. I find that I rotate my shoes so that they are not worn for at least 3 days between round. I play almost every day, so I have quite a few pair of shoes.

After the round be sure to fully clean all of the grass from the soles and the union of the upper to the sole. Then wipe them off with a dry towel.

Get some good quality shoe trees and keep them in the shoes. These help a lot with drying the inside of the shoes, not from outside water  but from foot moisture.

Get some quality leather cleaner, I use Lexol, and fully clean the uppers regularly. After you clean them, apply a polish ( I use Kiwi) and buff to the desires shine.

If your club locker room attendand offers shoe service, check them out before you use them. I lot of them just hold the shoes under running water and then use a liquid wax/polish. This really doesn't help the shoes at all.

Good Luck....

•  

lrose -

We sent your comment over to Tom Downs, our Manager of Footwear Quality Worldwide.  

He says the Neats Foot Oil is just fine for preserving the leather sole.  

Regarding the outsole edges ... Classics are a goodyear welted product and the excess edge is trimmed around as part of the outsole application process.  This leaves a raw leather edge which is buffed and polished as part of the final finishing step.  That edge will naturally weather over tim, but Tom recommends using a shoe wax or liquid shoe polish to keep the edges as new looking as possible.   Depending on the color of the edge, you can either use a neutral (for a natural look) or colored polish (for black or brown edges) for your desired effect.

To keep the shape of your shoes and to help with the drying process, 19hole is right, a good quality cedar shoe tree is a must.

Hope this helps.

ML

• 225 points

Thats great stuff. Exactly the information I needed. Now one further question. Would liquid wax be ok and is the sole on my shoes ( white/purple patent wingtips ) be brown or neutral? They seem brown to me so I just picked up some brown liquid wax.  Hope this does the trick....

•  

lrose -

Your plum patent wingtips have what we refer to as a 'natural edge'  The color you see is the natural layers of the leather outsole with a clear finish coat applied before they leave the factory.  The leather has a natural brown color so the liquid brown wax should be fine. 

If you want to keep the 'layered' look, you will want to stick with a clear polish, paste or cream.  Wax is used at cobbler/ shoe repair shops, but this is more of an industrial solution (there is a mounted wax block and the shoe edge is run along this block to seal any scuffs or scratches before additional polishing is done.  

I have looked around online and if you are opting for home care (using the old elbow grease method), you can stick with a clear polish, paste or cream.  Apply with a soft cloth or rag.  This would be the desired solution while the edges remain in good shape and free of scratches.

If you find that the edges get scuffed or scratched over time, you will probably want to use a light coat of either brown or black polish, paste or cream (depending on which matches your shoe) to hide any surface imperfections.

There is never any substitute for professional shoe care  Treat your shoes with a visit to your local cobbler/ shoe care service every once in a while and that should significantly extend the life of your shoes.

Hope this helps.

ML 

• 225 points

Great, thanks so much for your input. I just picked up some Kiwi Neutral Polish for the soles. I'm pretty good at keeping the uppers in good shape, just this is my first pair with a leather sole. Hoping to keep these looking great for years to come :) Thanks again.

•  

The shoe tree will not only abosrb excess moisture in the shoes, but they also help to maintain the shape.  Throughout the round the leather will soften and will form more to the shape of your foot.  If you just put the shoes away, without shoe trees, the leather will dry up and shrink back to the original shape.  The shoes trees prevent this so the shoe will fit more comfortably the next time you wear them.

Tim

• 245 points

I have some classics as well. theu are all black. I have been using just plain old kiwi shoe polish and just wiping them down with a damp cloth. They look the same as when I just bought them. Footjoy shoes are the only golf shoes I would ever buy and wear hands down. No wonder they are number 1 on Tour.

•  

19hole

I have been wearing CDPs for years and I find that they last a very long time (I have a pair that is 7 years old!) with just a little care.

This is what I do:

Don't wear them two rounds in a row. I find that I rotate my shoes so that they are not worn for at least 3 days between round. I play almost every day, so I have quite a few pair of shoes.

After the round be sure to fully clean all of the grass from the soles and the union of the upper to the sole. Then wipe them off with a dry towel.

Get some good quality shoe trees and keep them in the shoes. These help a lot with drying the inside of the shoes, not from outside water  but from foot moisture.

Get some quality leather cleaner, I use Lexol, and fully clean the uppers regularly. After you clean them, apply a polish ( I use Kiwi) and buff to the desires shine.

If your club locker room attendand offers shoe service, check them out before you use them. I lot of them just hold the shoes under running water and then use a liquid wax/polish. This really doesn't help the shoes at all.

Good Luck....

+1, this is some great advice.  It's a lot of work but you need to keep your shoes looking fresh.  Just don't slack on the cleaning and caring of your FJ's and you will have a great pair for years to come.  Congratulations with the new shoes!