Forums

If Slammin Sam Snead wore FJ's

• 1281 points

I can't find anything that suggests that he didn't but did Snead ever wear FootJoys, that is instead of being barefoot, how much more comfortable could he be? If Sam could pick a pair today, which would he choose? Silly question but I haven't seen anything about shoe endorcements for players in the 50's, 60"s or 70's. What am I missing? Did they all get custom shoes made, or just drive nails through the soles and file them down. Now I've done it... gone through the fairway, huh? tell us what you know about it. Forrrrrre!

•  

Maybe 19th can chime in, but the only big golf shoe manufacturers in the 50's were Footjoy, Etonic, and Johnston and Murphy (I sure there are more but these are the only ones I remember). Some of the pictures of Sam in the late 50's early 60's look like they had patent leather. I believe both Etonic and Footjoy did patent leather models but not J&M.

The only product placement money back in the old days was pretty much Golf Clubs and Cigarettes.

The Squire took a puff before and after his famous "double eagle" at Augusta. His playing partner Walter Hagen was somewhat irritated because Sarazen was taking longer than usual. Hurry up, will ya!" Hagen supposedly shouted. "I've got a date tonight."

•  

Slammin' Sam would have been rocking some crazy wingtips no doubt.

•  

I wish I could help with this one, but I can't. I bet Chris could search through the archives at FootJoy and come up with some info.

•  

Ah the memories this conjures up!

Bholl actually gives us a good advertisement to draw from. Given the small numbers of manufacturers, one could assume that the better dress shoe manufacturers made golf shoes as well; hence J&M and FootJoy. I'm sure we could imagine the line of Classics as the early models, with leather soles and a variety of wing tips and cap toe styles.

Since golf was a more affluent game, people would only buy better grade items, so shoes of this type were the choice I'm sure.

Not sure about you, but I'd love to hear if FJ has a few snaps in their "hall of fame" museum up there.

•  

Some great wingtip styles were worn for sure back then, guessing Sam would have a ton of fun doing some great color combos on the My Joys webpage.

•  

Footjoy ad notice the KILTIES

Advertisements are always a good look into past society. I once attended a historical meeting where Theodore Roosevelt was the topic. TR's advice to his successor William Howard Taft was not to let anyone see him playing golf. Taft was not only our first golfing president but was the first President to get stuck in a bath tub.

The moderator droned on about how Roosevelt would have disapproved of the current administration and on and on basically inserting his political views as those of TR. Before walking out I told the audience the only thing which we could be absolutely sure was Roosevelt would be rather disappointed about the way his old "Outdoor and Sporting Goods Supplier" Abercrombie and Fitch turned out.

•  

Interesting question posed and about the only ones who could answer it would be the folks at FootJoy. But as a kid I do remember all the ads that showed golfers with cigarettes and cigars, and of course shirts and ties. It was rare to see a Pro golfer without a tie , but they always seemed to have that permanent sweater on. Great old ad and fun to see some of this "OLD" stuff again.

• 1281 points

I like those old lace protectors, were they called kilties? I'd actually like to see them again, especially on the Icon Wingtip saddles.

•  

I am not a fan of kilties and that photo reminds me why.  They are tacky in my opinion but that doesn't mean other will love them.

• 1281 points

I remember having them but I don't remember not liking them. Maybe I'm just lamenting nastalgic today with the tournament at the Grennbrier.

•  

EMKelly0106

I am not a fan of kilties and that photo reminds me why.  They are tacky in my opinion but that doesn't mean other will love them.

In the "A LOOK BACK AT FJ SHOES" post Chris mentions the kilties may be coming back.

•  

EMKelly0106

The best thing about wearing a kiltie is you don't have to wear underwear

•  

Grumpy... I know.  I wasn't an advocate there either lol.  I guess it's just not for me.  I certainly couldn't see any of the younger demographic wearing them but what do I know?  That's what FJ's marketing/product development team is for.  If they find out it will be worth it, they will do it.