Forums

DryJoy Tour Spikes

•  

I was trying to change the spikes in my DJ Tours today and experienced major difficulty in removing factory installed Softspikes.  They were not completely worn down and I was using a Softspikes rachet wrench which normally will remove any spike.  I ended up taking them to a golf shop and paying them to remove the spikes and replace them with Champ Stingers.  I normally do this myself on all my FJ shoes, but this is the first time I have changed used spikes on tours.   I have two new pair and am removing the factory spikes before wearing them and experiencing the same problem. Has anyone else experienced this.  Guess I will go back to my old habit of removing factory spikes and replacing them with stingers upon arrival.  

•  

Were you using the wrench with the "ripper" head, I have never met a spike that could not take out.

• 1809 points

Soak them in a little water, just enough to cover the spikes for a few minutes.  I replaced the spikes on my XPS-1s a about a month ago and it worked like a charm after wrestling with them dry at first.  There was a lot of dirt and grit in there.  Work the wrench back and forth a few times and they should pop out.

•  

kmcmellen

Soak them in a little water, just enough to cover the spikes for a few minutes.  I replaced the spikes on my XPS-1s a about a month ago and it worked like a charm after wrestling with them dry at first.  There was a lot of dirt and grit in there.  Work the wrench back and forth a few times and they should pop out.

This works really well, just soaking them for a few minutes makes a big difference in loosening them. I changed some spikes the other day, right after I washed the shoes, they all came right out. Piece of cake.

•  

Thanks guys for the input.....had some trouble with one spike and took it to the proshop and they took care of it.....it took them 45 minutes to change the spikes in two pairs of my DJ tours yesterday because of the problems and they do this for a living......and again the spikes were not worn down....I take good care of my shoes.....again, thanks to everyone and will remember that tip in the future...........  :-)

• 1764 points

And I thought it was just me.

•  
    Yup, I think I read that simple technique here... Great tip- Works great!
    • 5024 points

The "ripper" attachment has never failed in removing a sticky spike.
    • 2736 points

If I have a really difficult spike that The Gripper won't budge  I loosen it by gripping the spike with pliers.

• 4315 points

Hmm.  I've had a few spikes in the past that gave me issues.  Never thought to grab the ripper removal tool.  I'll have to do that!

•  

miniwarmth
    The "ripper" attachment has never failed in removing a sticky spike.

Just will not work on the cyclone spikes on the tours.......not enough to grab......