Forums

Soft Spikes: Which model is best for Icons?

•  

I noticed when I played a prominent golf course recently that they changed out my soft spikes that came standard on the Icon's and noticed a large playing difference and feel.  It got me wondering...of all the different brands and models of soft spikes on the market does anyone have any specific model they believe to be the best performing for the Icon?  Do any tour pros use special brands? 

•  

Seems like a lot of the pros are using the Stingers that come in the ICON.  I've heard of places banning the original Black Widow spikes, but a course changing out your Stingers is a new one on me - are you sure it was because of the spike difference, and not another reason?  I ask because I've had my spikes changed out like that, but it was because the course I was playing is so anal about their bent-grass greens.  They didn't want to chance anyone tracking and leaving Poa seed on their greens.

•  

Can you add this to the list of questions here... http://www.footjoy.com/community/forums/t/1280.aspx

I will be sure to ask tomorrow when I am there.

• 4775 points

I was using Stingers before my first pair of ICONS.  I think they are by far the best soft spike and FJ made a great decision going with them.  I too would be interested in the reason why the course changed out your spikes. 

•  

Chris92009

I noticed when I played a prominent golf course recently that they changed out my soft spikes that came standard on the Icon's and noticed a large playing difference and feel.  It got me wondering...of all the different brands and models of soft spikes on the market does anyone have any specific model they believe to be the best performing for the Icon?  Do any tour pros use special brands? 

I've never heard of a place changing out specific soft spikes for the course, weird.

•  

If I did wish to want to replace my Softspikes, which size/style should I purchase Q-Lok etc...??

•  

jas904

I was using Stingers before my first pair of ICONS.  I think they are by far the best soft spike and FJ made a great decision going with them.  I too would be interested in the reason why the course changed out your spikes. 

It was Muirfield Village Stadium Course in Columbus Ohio, I asked the member I was with and he said that the course was concerned of people having the wrong softspikes and that sometimes you can bring diseases on the spikes so this way it remedies this situation...

Not certain if these makes sense but it is their course so they can do what they want!

•  

Chris92009

jas904

It was Muirfield Village Stadium Course in Columbus Ohio, I asked the member I was with and he said that the course was concerned of people having the wrong softspikes and that sometimes you can bring diseases on the spikes so this way it remedies this situation...

Not certain if these makes sense but it is their course so they can do what they want!

Did they charge you for the spikes? LOL

•  

No they did not charge me for the spikes, the staff was excellent at Muifield...

• 877 points

I had a course change my spikes as well one time. The reason is for disease. They don't want anyone tracking it on to the course with their spikes. Is it probable i'd say no but possible, I guess it is. I guess it's cheaper to change them out than fix fairways and greens!

E

•  

I just purchased some of the Stinger Q-Lok for my FJ shoes...they are the same as Fast Twist which is another "name" out there for the style that spike FJ shoes need.