Forums

Sizing..contour vs icon...vs dry joys

• 8 points

Hi all

I have established that the 12 narrow in the contour is a perfect foot for myself, and have bought two pairs in different colours online in the last few months.

Needing a waterproof shoeY ) ***the contours leak through the tongue when walking through wet grass), I ordered the 12 narrow in the icon 52366, however, these were barely big enough to squeeze my foot in to, the heel also being too short-feeling like the shoe would come off.

Obviously I need at least the medium in the icon, but what should I expect if I go to the dryjoys?

Are indeed these shoes more waterproof, do they leak if the tongue gets wet?

I'm writing from Australia, footjoys in Australia come in only the wide sizing, so I have to buy online, so getting the sizing wrong is a costly exercise.

If anyone could help out here that would be great.

•  

Are you sure you are not getting wet because of socks/trouser's legs getting moisture?

•  

The last on which the Contour shoe is built on is a very generous fit which would explain the tighter fit on the Icons. In my experience, the Icon would have the most narrow last. Wearing a narrow in a Countour would be closer to a Medium in an Icon. As for the DJ Tours... it is more generous in terms of width than the Icon but not as much as the Contour.

My suggestion, try a 12N in a DryJoy Tour.

Where you are talking about leaking may be in the tongue design, is it a blucher tongue? If so, that is in the design aspect (2 little holes at the bottom caused by the stitching process). Can't go wrong with the DJTour in terms of comfort, stability, and certainly waterproofing.

•  

dzabkar
    The last on which the Contour shoe is built on is a very generous fit which would explain the tighter fit on the Icons. In my experience, the Icon would have the most narrow last. Wearing a narrow in a Countour would be closer to a Medium in an Icon. As for the DJ Tours... it is more generous in terms of width than the Icon but not as much as the Contour.

My suggestion, try a 12N in a DryJoy Tour.

Where you are talking about leaking may be in the tongue design, is it a blucher tongue? If so, that is in the design aspect (2 little holes at the bottom caused by the stitching process). Can't go wrong with the DJTour in terms of comfort, stability, and certainly waterproofing.

Mr. Zabkar hit the nail on the head with this one.  Unfortunately little can be done from water entering the top of the shoe, the contour does have a wider U-throat opening so it is possible more water could enter this way.

• 8 points

No  water is not coming over the top of the shoe via the ankles!. ,nor is my foot sweating.....just when the course is wet.

The tongue leaks like a sieve, the tongue area starts at least an inch lower than the  ankle..  I actually have an older solid brown pair, think they are the same as the 54135, with a proper leather tongue and no problem in this regard, nor have I had this problem in other golf shoes.

The two more recent pair of contours 54163 and 54184 are a different style with a synthetic/mesh like tongue, are anyone wearing these?

The inrush of wetness can be felt directly on the tongue area as soon as wet grass touches it or raindrops directly.

When I take the shoes off,the wetness on the sock can be seen to emanate from the tongue area, it seems to be a more recent feature of the contour to have this mesh like breathable tongue, no it's not my foot sweating,  the problem only exists when the course is wet.  How they can claim the shoe is waterproof when rain or just a slither of wet grass leaks through here is puzzling indeed.

I don't see any value in returning them to footjoy, they'll just tell me they are fine and/or give me another pair that just leak exactly the same, though their claim of reasonable waterproofness surely would not hold up to any consumer levels of scrutiny.

What I was hoping to find out was were the same issues prevalent in the icon and the dryjoys and the sizing differences between the contours/icons and dryjoys.

Thwnkyou

•  

narrowfoot
    No  water is not coming over the top of the shoe via the ankles!. ,nor is my foot sweating.....just when the course is wet.

The tongue leaks like a sieve, the tongue area starts at least an inch lower than the  ankle..  I actually have an older solid brown pair, think they are the same as the 54135, with a proper leather tongue and no problem in this regard, nor have I had this problem in other golf shoes.

The two more recent pair of contours 54163 and 54184 are a different style with a synthetic/mesh like tongue, are anyone wearing these?

The inrush of wetness can be felt directly on the tongue area as soon as wet grass touches it or raindrops directly.

When I take the shoes off,the wetness on the sock can be seen to emanate from the tongue area, it seems to be a more recent feature of the contour to have this mesh like breathable tongue, no it's not my foot sweating,  the problem only exists when the course is wet.  How they can claim the shoe is waterproof when rain or just a slither of wet grass leaks through here is puzzling indeed.

I don't see any value in returning them to footjoy, they'll just tell me they are fine and/or give me another pair that just leak exactly the same, though their claim of reasonable waterproofness surely would not hold up to any consumer levels of scrutiny.

What I was hoping to find out was were the same issues prevalent in the icon and the dryjoys and the sizing differences between the contours/icons and dryjoys.

Thwnkyou

The two models you speak of (54163 and 54184) are both from the 2011 ineup.  These did feature some mesh on the tongue, but not to my knowledge was there an influx of complaints caused by the shoes leaking.  

With that being said all of the new Contour models no longer have mesh on the tongue.  Also, all the shoes you are looking into have a two year waterproof warranty, none are more waterproof than the other.   We cannot judge waterproofing of a shoe based on the tongue area, because water will find a way into the tongue area of all shoes.  Some shoes may have a more protected tongue area, which may inhibit wetness from entering, but it is something you cannot stop with a traditional lace and tongue.  

•  

Well said, Devo.  Having worn DryJoys, DryJoys Tours, Icons, Sports, and more recently MProjects, I can safely say that each is as waterproof as the others.  Have yet to find any pair of FJ shoes that leaks, though I have a friend who complained to me about his FJ shoes leaking and told me that was why he would not buy another pair.  I tried to convince him otherwise, but to no avail.  He did, however, wear without any problem a complementary pair he received at a tournament in which he played.  I wear FJ because of their comfort and their waterproof guarantee.  No problems here in either situation.

•  

Guess that I am one of the lucky ones as well.  Have not had a problem with fit or leaking in all the years that I have worn FJ shoes.  Have worn primarily DryJoys, Contours, and DryJoy Tours.......am a walker and considered a dew chaser......I wear them till they have nothing left and that is way past two years.....super shoes....have tried Dexter, Nike, Callaway, and Adidas over 28 year period....FJ far superior shoe and have stuck with it......