Forums

Best winter shoes for The Dan Plan playing through the Portland winter.

• 272 points

Hello my FJ friends.    I'm located in Portland, OR and the rains are just starting here.  Last year I wore Nike Bandon's as those seemed to be a good winter shoe that were waterproof enough to stop the mud and water, but I am looking for a solid FJ that I can wear throughout the season here.  What would everyone recommend?  The Pacific Northwest sees a ton of rain, although there is minimal snow so we can play throughout the winter as long as the feet are warm and dry.

I currently have one pair of DryJoys and have just ordered  pair of FJ Sport, but think that I may need a pair of something else to survive the season.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thank you!

• 1652 points

Get some Icons, XPS-1, or DryJouys Tour shoes, those offer the best waterproofing I have seen.  I use the DJT's and I do not think my feet have ever been wet from wearing them.  And also look into some FJ wet weather gear also.  Maybe the Tour XP rain jacket and pants to go along with your new shoes.  Lots to pick from, and you will get many different responses on the forums.  Hope you find something you like.

• 1393 points

FJ used to make a winter golf boot. I've seen images online and i think they were sold in the UK. Anyone else heard of these?

•  

Professor3
    FJ used to make a winter golf boot. I've seen images online and i think they were sold in the UK. Anyone else heard of these?

We sell these in the UK and in the Pacific Northwest, so that is a viable option.  However, all of our top tier shoes carry are two year waterproof warranty.  ICON, DryJoys Tour, XPS-1, FJ Sport, M:Project, Contour, all carry this warranty.  One does not possess a superior waterproofing than another.  If water gets in the shoes it is often because the sock gets wet, usually from pants getting wet from walking through taller grass, there is little we can do for that!

•  

I have found that all my FJ's do a great job in wet and snow weather...Yes Snow!

• 272 points

Devin_Gmitter
    Professor3FJ used to make a winter golf boot. I've seen images online and i think they were sold in the UK. Anyone else heard of these?  We sell these in the UK and in the Pacific Northwest, so that is a viable option.  However, all of our top tier shoes carry are two year waterproof warranty.  ICON, DryJoys Tour, XPS-1, FJ Sport, M:Project, Contour, all carry this warranty.  One does not possess a superior waterproofing than another.  If water gets in the shoes it is often because the sock gets wet, usually from pants getting wet from walking through taller grass, there is little we can do for that!

Good point with water getting into the shoe from wet pants.  This often happens to me even when I strap down that velcro of my FJ rain pants.  Is there a good solution here to keeping water from getting through that barrier?

• 272 points

Chris92009
    I have found that all my FJ's do a great job in wet and snow weather...Yes Snow!

nice.  I love snow golf!  We don't get much of that up here, just a ton of 35 degrees and rainy. Hopefully this year we will get some snow to change things up a bit..

•  

DanPlan
    Devin_GmitterProfessor3FJ used to make a winter golf boot. I've seen images online and i think they were sold in the UK. Anyone else heard of these?  We sell these in the UK and in the Pacific Northwest, so that is a viable option.  However, all of our top tier shoes carry are two year waterproof warranty.  ICON, DryJoys Tour, XPS-1, FJ Sport, M:Project, Contour, all carry this warranty.  One does not possess a superior waterproofing than another.  If water gets in the shoes it is often because the sock gets wet, usually from pants getting wet from walking through taller grass, there is little we can do for that!

Good point with water getting into the shoe from wet pants.  This often happens to me even when I strap down that velcro of my FJ rain pants.  Is there a good solution here to keeping water from getting through that barrier?

The best plan I've ever heard for avoiding this issue is to keep the ball in the short grass!

• 3506 points

DanPlan
    Devin_GmitterProfessor3FJ used to make a winter golf boot. I've seen images online and i think they were sold in the UK. Anyone else heard of these?  We sell these in the UK and in the Pacific Northwest, so that is a viable option.  However, all of our top tier shoes carry are two year waterproof warranty.  ICON, DryJoys Tour, XPS-1, FJ Sport, M:Project, Contour, all carry this warranty.  One does not possess a superior waterproofing than another.  If water gets in the shoes it is often because the sock gets wet, usually from pants getting wet from walking through taller grass, there is little we can do for that!

Ensuring the rain pant is of proper length and your trousers are not dangling too low. I have heard of people rolling them up a bit to ensure that they do not get wet. Never hurts to have an extra pair of socks in the bag!

• 1716 points

I think I would start with wool socks.

• 11 points

I am in Portland as well and Icons or DryJoys Tours are both great

•  

DanPlan

Get some gaiters. Hunters and skiers wear them -- I don't know why they wouldn't work for golfers.

•  

But if you do, make sure you put them on carefully, teeth out. They can be snappy.

What? Gaiters, not Gators..... Oh, sorry. Please disregard