Forums

Dan Plan here, ready to talk comfort and looking for a second pair of FJs

• 272 points

I've played a ton of rounds in the past year in my first pair of FJs and am sold on the brand.  Through my project (thedanplan.com) I am out in the golfing field at least 6 days a week either putting in hours on the range or walking at least 18 holes a day. For the first two years I tried a number of different shoes, but finally found my feet in a pair of FJ DryJoys this April and have loved them since.  It took a while to break them in, but I have since found those shoes like a second sock on my feet.  Now…  I want to know what pair to purchase next.  Any thoughts??

•  

DanPlan

Welcome. The answer to your question is..... it depends. I personally prefer the Icons to anything, though many here are fond of other styles. If you're playing 6 times per week, you are going to need at least 3 pairs of shoes, minimum. If you walk, there is more moisture in the shoe and they should be completely dry before you wear them again. It's a must.

Try the XPS as well. It's a close cousin to the DryJoy. Many here will give you their input as well, so stay tuned.

• 3299 points

Hi Dan, Welcome to the FJC. I love my DryJoy Tours as well.  For many, that is their shoe of choice.

Earlier this year, I picked up some Icons and Contour Casuals. While I like them all, I really like the DJT's. Solid feel, but not too rigid. Soft but not unstructured.

•  

Like Randy said.  You need to have multiple pairs available playing that many times per week.  Try the different FJ models for yourself and go with what is best for you.  I personally prefer the XPS-1's over other models.

Good Luck

TT

•  

Welcome.  I read about your story a while back and found it to be fascinating.  Good luck as you keep moving forward.

As for your question about shoes, I'm an Icon man myself.  I feel there just isn't a better shoe on the market.  But, depending on your needs and preferences, you might like something different.  I also have a couple of pairs of contour casuals for every day use and they are extremely comfortable.  As much time as you spend on the range/course, I would recommend at least one pair of those for a very comfortable easy day.  And like Tim and Randy said, you will need multiple pairs.  Rotating will keep your shoes in better shape and help them last longer.  When it comes to FootJoy, if you take care of the shoes, in my experiences, they will last longer than any other shoe on the market.

Good luck and make sure you keep us all posted on your progress.

•  

Welcome, Dan.  I, too, ave a variety of FJ shoes:  Icons, DJT's, Sport, MProject.  I like each model for different reasons, but have focused in on multiple pairs of Icons.  When and if I can afford them, I pick up another pair and fall in love again.  Others, like OUTIGER, like the XPS-1, but I've not tried them so cannot speak to their comfort or performance.  I have Contour Casuals, but do not wear them for golf, so again, cannot comment on them as golf shoes.  They are terrific for everyday wear, especially to and from the course.  Try one style--if you like it, get another pair.  I am sure you'll find them all just as comfortable and supportive on the course.

• 1181 points

I really don't believe you can find a better shoe than FootJoy.

• 1146 points

Shoe trees are another great idea. They're usually made of cedar which will draw the moisture from the shoes. They also help to maintain the form/shape of the shoes. I use shoe trees in my dress shoes and my golf shoes. Good shoes are expensive and shoe trees definitely extend the life of your shoes. And remember, never wear the same shoes two days in a row.

Btw, I've been following our progress for some time and want to wish you all the best! You're living the dream for the rest of us.

Cheers

• 272 points

That's good to know.  I have been looking at the Icons for a while, as well as the FJ Sports, but am wondering if it's better to go with the classic laced version or if that twist thing on the back of the Boas is a good idea.   I'll just have to go try them all on :)

• 272 points

Do you have a favorite amongst those?  Thanks!  Dan

• 272 points

Good point.  I have worn the same pair every single day (I golf at least 6 days a week) for the past 7 months and think that if I varied my shoes they would last longer.

Thanks,

Dan

• 272 points

Hi tdogg,

Thanks for finding my story fascinating.  It's definitely one that requires comfy shoes..  I will check out those Icons, the FJ Sports, and the WPS-1 and hopefully have an arsenal of shoes down the road where I can choose the right shoe for the course/conditions I am playing in.

Cheers!

• 272 points

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback.  Seems like everyone has their personal favorite, but also enjoys the other varieties around.  I guess I'll just have to stock up when I can afford some other pairs and find the ones that fit me best.

Enjoy the shoes,

Dan

•  

Dan

So I saw a photo of your shoes on the FJ Twitter feed and have a couple points of view.

First, if you look at your shoes you'll see evidence of what some of us have mentioned. The shoe is starting to curl due to excessive wear and use. This is due to the fact that you're wearing it every day and probably not using shoe trees, and clearly not letting the leather rest. So here are some FJ tips and tools:

Always let a shoe dry completely before you wear it again.

Always clean after each use and apply some leather conditioner. It will keep the leather moisturized and supple

Always put a good cedar shoe tree in to keep the leather in it's proper position and stretched. It also helps the shoe to dry and not smell

You really need a couple more pairs of shoes. This is the best time to pick a few pairs up on closeouts at end of season. eBay has Icons as low as $89.99 right now.

So rotate those shoes.

I promise you will continue your quest with feet that are even more pleased than they are right now. Play on!

•  

Dan - Welcome to the FJC.  As for a personal preference, I like the ICON's.  Having said that, I have 20 different FJ's at home and all perform great - 8 ICON's, 3 Sports, 3 XPS-1, 1 M Project, 1 Contour Casual, 1 DJT, 1 Greenjoys, and 2 Professional spikeless.  They do have some unique characteristics.  The XPS-1 are by far the most stable shoe in the line.  The M Project gives me the most "feel".  The Sports are very comfortable and stable. The Greenjoys are the sandals, so they offer a totally different experience (especially with early morning dew).  The Contours (spikeless) are the most comfortable on and off the course.  The ICON's are, in my opinion, the best combination of all the great characteristics from the FJ line.  I wear the Professional spikeless to work everyday - they are fantastic business shoes.  Style and comfort, all in one!

The advice above is great - especially the info about the shoe trees and cleaning after each use.  Randy, Tim, Tim, and Ted are all outstanding in their knowledge of the products (they are all FJA's), and spot on with their advice.

Suggest that you consider looking at an FJ shoe that you can use off the course - such as the Professionall.  You will likely find that you have found a new favorite off the course shoe!