Forums

Finding it hard to retire my first pair of Icons

•  

Well FJC family, I think it's finally time to put my first pair of Icons out to pasture.  They've had a good life.  I've had them in shoe trees, shoe bags, and used shoe horns since day one.  I've had them for a little over two years, and they've been gamed A LOT!  They've traveled all of the country and walked countless rounds.  They've seen good shots, bad shots, sunny days and torrential downpours.  They've strutted proudly across some of the best greens in the country and trudged through some of the worst kept bunkers imaginable.  After buying one pair, I know I'll never own another type of shoe.  These are the shoes that have set the benchmark all others will be compared to.  I have other Icons, but these beauties were my first love.  They're tattered, beaten, and now they have a tiny hole, growing by the step, wearing in the heel.  They're more water resistant than water proof now, but still, I'm having a hard time taking them out of the rotation.  There's something amazing about a fresh pair of shoes.  Maybe I'm sentimental, but there's something equally fulfilling about sliding my feet into old #52062.

Anyone else have a shoe you just can't seem to part with, or am I just nuts?

•  

No, you're not.  Those are really cool pairs and a great style.  A little before my time learning about Icons, (i'm still new to icons)  but I think I would have loved them as much or maybe more had I had them ... as I realize it is 't too late as we speak of it.

The good part of it is that there are more newer Icons to chose from... Indulge and celebrate onto MyJoys or what not, for you and your experience have been Iconized in a memorable FootJoy way... Way!  More Icons awaits... You deserve a new pair in rotation... (What style and color do you have in mind?)

• 1716 points

I still have two pairs of Classics that are in great shape I love.

•  

Just make them your range or mudder pair.. Never get rid of shoes!

•  

Josh,

I have a pair of original MyJoys Contours.  They are White/Crimson with the OU logo on the heel.  They are the one pair that stays in the Jeep and I wear them for mostly practice sessions.  They have been cleaned,polished, new laces and still are in good shape for going on close to 5 years.  I just can't get rid of them.

TT

•  

I have an old pair of super lights that I cut the grass in. Still waterproof but they are from my freshman year of college.

• 276 points

I also have can't get rid of my 2yr old Icon Boa's.  These shoes has close to 400 rounds in them.

• 326 points

Still gaming an older pair of Synr-g (FO-53918), I take pretty good care of them and they still look really nice for over 2 years old.  Love these shoes to death, but can't wait to try out the XPS-1!

•  

i know the feeling.  i had a pair of Dry Joys i kept for a LONG time.  they are still in my basement waiting for the chance to have one more round.  now my first pair of Icons is starting to show their age.  but i've started wearing them less in hopes of extending their lives.  they're such a great shoe, i hate to stop wearing them.  but with that said, if you've worn them hard and well, it's probably time to retire them and get a new pair.  clean them up and display them in the living room.  i'm sure your wife won't mind!  haha.

•  

tdogg21
    i know the feeling.  i had a pair of Dry Joys i kept for a LONG time.  they are still in my basement waiting for the chance to have one more round.  now my first pair of Icons is starting to show their age.  but i've started wearing them less in hopes of extending their lives.  they're such a great shoe, i hate to stop wearing them.  but with that said, if you've worn them hard and well, it's probably time to retire them and get a new pair.  clean them up and display them in the living room.  i'm sure your wife won't mind!  haha.

I should have them bronzed!

•  

noeldaof
    No, you're not.  Those are really cool pairs and a great style.  A little before my time learning about Icons, (i'm still new to icons)  but I think I would have loved them as much or maybe more had I had them ... as I realize it is 't too late as we speak of it.

The good part of it is that there are more newer Icons to chose from... Indulge and celebrate onto MyJoys or what not, for you and your experience have been Iconized in a memorable FootJoy way... Way!  More Icons awaits... You deserve a new pair in rotation... (What style and color do you have in mind?)

•  

Well, I've still got two pairs of old DryJoys that I wear from time to time.  One pair I keep in Virginia at my daughter's house and wear when I'm there.  The other is here and is worn occasionally when I need an all-black pair for some reason.  They are both probably 8 or more years old and doing well.  

•  

If it was me -  I would search for another pair of 52062 -  keep the old pair around for practice sessions, etc.

Of course - If you keep building your collection - you will get longer wear out of all of them.

•  

I sent a couple pair of Contours to FJ heaven this year......they had experienced all the early morning dew they could handle and it was just time to say goodbye......have had them way past their life expectancy....sometimes we just have to say "goodbye old friend"....I think if I were to have them bronzed, my wife (the counselor) would have me committed..... lol

•  

I agree with Bobby. Keeping adding TO the collection so you have more to choose from each week. I have several pairs of Classics that get worn once a year (just because) and they are like new.

Store them and hang on to them....