Forums

Dialing in the Fit on FJ Shoes

•  

As a new member to the FJ Community, I had some questions for the group concerning the fit on shoes.  I have a couple of pairs of FJ shoes, but never really felt that I got the fit right on these.  They feel great on my feet, no issues when I am riding in a cart and playing, but when I walk 18 holes the shoes are not comfortable after moving into the back 9.  And yes, I do walk with other shoes and don't have the same issue on the back 9.

I currently predominantly wear shoes with the three stripes but, after talking to Fred C, Pulplvr and Dallin last week, I see the ills of my ways and want to move back over to the FJ products.

The two pairs of shoes that I currently have are as follows:

FootJoy DryJoys MyJoys Golf Shoe- Traditional (53420)

FootJoy MyJoys DryJoys Tech Golf Shoe (53470)

I have alot of torque in my swing and need a very stable base on my shoes.  Another reason I believe the fit may be an issue is one pair is a 9M and the other pair is a 9.5M.

The local stores don't always have all of the size permmutations available to test for fit.  Any recommendations from the group as how I could get my size dialed in so I can ensure a perfect fit?

Thanks in advance for any advice, I appreicate it!

•  

Have you tried the FJ Sports or XPS 1's? Great base for the stable platform you are looking for. I would go to a good shoe store and have your feet (both) measured, that way you will know for sure what size you are. Personally, FJ shoes have been true to all other dress shoes I have been measured for.

Good luck, and welcome back to the #1 shoe in golf.

•  

For your issue re:  stability, I would recommend the XPS shoe.  You may be able to find a few left on closeout in some of the on-line golf shops.  Otherwise, they are now only available through MyJoys.  The new FJ Sport is also a valid alternative, I think.  Different look, but solid platform.  I know Freddy swears by both the XPS and the DryJoys Tours and he has a good twist in his shot, as well.  Correct fit is the major issue.  It's been a while since I walked 18, but I think all of my various FJ models would do quite well for the whole round.  My legs, though, are a different story.  

•  

Mike

Welcome. The guys are spot on with the XPS recommendation. Clearly the shoe designed for big swings and those needing a very solid base.

Walking 18 is interesting... I wear Icons, and in the rounds I have walked 18 or 36, they have never left my feet feeling anything but fine. No fatigue at all.

I think you should go and make certain your feet (both of them) are properly measured. Most people wear the wrong sized shoes, and every last fits differently. A good fitting in shoes, like in clubs, pays big dividends.

•  

Mike C:  I have been wearing FJ shoes since I started playing golf in 1984.  Even though I may vary in styles, DryJoys,  Contours,  DryJoy Tours, I have always purchased the same size, 12W.  I have been very fortunate, because I am a walker, in that I can talk a new pair out of the box and walk 18 holes and my feet are ok.  I had problems with my feet for a year and had to purchase orthopedic inserts which were customized to fit the FJ shoes.  This occurred when I was still working and only playing twice a week.  Through Dr prescribed exercises and wearing the inserts and my feet are now ok.  I walk 18 holes four days a week and have no problems.  I wear the same size golf shoes as I do dress and casual shoes and I always wear good comfortable FJ socks.  Never thin socks.  Socks with support.  I am 6"3"  245lbs and also need a stable base and could not live without my FJs.....tours are now my shoes of choice.....like the stability....chuck

•  

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.  I will definately get my feet measured (both of them) and go from there.  My only concern with the XPS is how high the profile of the shoe looks.  I prefer something closer to the ground for added stability.  May just be a visual thing, but  I will have to try on to be sure.  I guess I just need to spend some time at my local retailer to try on the various styles and see what feels good and hope they have the correct sizes for me to try.  Some of the retailiers in town have pretty big stock selections so I will start there first.  Thanks again for the input!

•  

Mike C.
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions.  I will definately get my feet measured (both of them) and go from there.  My only concern with the XPS is how high the profile of the shoe looks.  I prefer something closer to the ground for added stability.  May just be a visual thing, but  I will have to try on to be sure.  I guess I just need to spend some time at my local retailer to try on the various styles and see what feels good and hope they have the correct sizes for me to try.  Some of the retailiers in town have pretty big stock selections so I will start there first.  Thanks again for the input!

If stability is your thing then there is no shoe that offers more then the XPS-1. Being a few millimeters closer to the ground cannot provide you the stability that an XPS could!!

•  

Thanks Devin.  I will pick up a pair of the XPS shoes and give them a try if I can find them locally.  It looks like they have been discontinued except for in the MyJoy's area, which is perfect once I have the fit right because I like to have my initials on the shoe and love to customize them.  However, it's hard to comit to a $310 pair of shoes without being able to try them on first, especially considering the fit concerns I have had in the past.  I found them online as closeouts but that still does not fix the issue of trying them on before I make a purchase.  I will have to look around at several of my local retailers and see if I can find one with some of the old stock on these shoes.

•  

You can't go wrong with the XPS-1's.  They are perfect for those of us that swing the club.  Plus now that they are available on the MyJoy program is a great bonus.

Try  www.golflocker.com  They always seem to have some on closeout.  I wear the 9.5's and they are great.

Welcome to the FJ Community.

TT

•  

Mike, first and foremost, I'd recommend your trying on the various shoes for fit. In your area, PGA Tour Superstore has a good stock of the various models to try on. For example, the DryJoy Tour generally has a bit more room than the ICON. As far as stability goes, the XPS-1 is probably the best, but the DryJoy Tour and FJ Sport have loads of traction. Many pros swear by the Sport as they offer traction, stability, comfort and are also lightweight. I wear them for walking rounds. FJ may have some fitting shoes they can send you to get the right size and style for your needs. Also, if you're ever near Boston, you could see if they'll let you into the "Shoebox" and get really fitted for THE SHOE for you. Finally, welcome to the Footjoy Community my friend.

•  

When I see Freddy in a couple of weeks down at Wolfdancer I will have to check out his shoe supply a little more closely.  I appreciate the recommendations on which products I should use to make the transition more, um, manageable.  Some of these products were a given, but I hadn't considered the Extra Strength Rain.  Thanks for the heads up!