Forums

Cleated vs. Spikeless

• 396 points

Hey does anybody know an advantage of switching from FJ Sport with spikes to FJ sport Spikeless?

•  

The FJ Sport with removable cleats will give you more lateral stability and grip then it's spikeless brethren.  The Sport Spikeless model will provide you with plenty of grip though, it has one of our most aggressive spikeless outsoles.  The Spikeless model will also feel a bit softer underfoot.

• 3548 points

I love the spikeless version...it's very comfortable and I have had no grip problems vs. a traditional spiked shoe. I've played a couple rounds in the rain with no problems.

• 396 points

Okay is that any other shoe that is recommended to someone who walks more they ride in a cart?

•  

No there is not, all FJ's are designed to be comfortable if you walk or ride.  The FJ Sport is one of our lightest models and many walkers do like that feature.

• 691 points

I am a new found fan of the M project shoes in the spiked and the Contour casuals for spineless.  Spikes work great for anytime that the grass is ever wet.  Spikeless shoes get enough traction on dry grass, especially when it hasn't rained in a long time.  Walking or riding all the several pairs of FJ shoes have been comfortable.

• 5318 points

This is such a timely thread for me. I've been scouring the net/personals opinions for some perspective. I walk all my rounds and am definitely see the benefit in the "comfort" factor but have wondered about the traction level.  I wish I could "demo" a set for a few shots/ holes.

I saw that Jordan Spieth wore spikeless FJ's at the John Deere, but also heard that 30-40% of the pro's still wear steel spikes!

• 4480 points

miniwarmth
    This is such a timely thread for me. I've been scouring the net/personals opinions for some perspective. I walk all my rounds and am definitely see the benefit in the "comfort" factor but have wondered about the traction level.  I wish I could "demo" a set for a few shots/ holes.

I saw that Jordan Spieth wore spikeless FJ's at the John Deere, but also heard that 30-40% of the pro's still wear steel spikes!

A lot of that depends on conditions.  If a course is playing softer you won't find too many folks wearing spikeless shoes and youll probably find many having a steel spike or two on their shoes.

All of the FJ models are comfortable.  I find I really love my M:Projects and the new ICONs I have.  I think in my mind so far the M:Projects win out on comfort just slightly.

• 5318 points

I haven't bought into the M Project style as a golf shoe (yet). But I did just order a pair of contour casual spikeless and will give them a try. I'm sure they'll be great for walking and overall comfort but will they last like my spike shoes -- time will tell. I'll certainly provide feedback here ;)

•  

I am trying to decide between the M Project Spike and Spikeless. I frequently play early mornings, will the spikeless offer enough grip on the dew lined fairways....if I actually keep my ball in the fairway/

• 1763 points

Devin, does FJ make replacement inside soles for ICON Spikeless BOA style. The arch on my old ICON are pretty much worn out.

• 2777 points

Devin_Gmitter
    The FJ Sport with removable cleats will give you more lateral stability and grip then it's spikeless brethren.  The Sport Spikeless model will provide you with plenty of grip though, it has one of our most aggressive spikeless outsoles.  The Spikeless model will also feel a bit softer underfoot.

Been looking for a comparison of the two.  I think I'm going to give the cleated a try.  Thanks Dev!

•  

I have played in both and I prefer the cleated.  My shoe of choice at this time is the tour shoe and I normally ride a cart.  It is very hot in SC this time of the year (humidity) and walking just takes to much out of this old man.  We normally tee off between 7am and 815am.....prefer the added grip.... cz : )

•  

Okay, from my perspective (68 + and 7 handicap), I find that both the MProject spiked and spikeless give me essentially equal traction.  I've worn both in both wet and dry conditions and have not had any difficulty with either one.  In fact, the first time I wore each of my pairs, play was cart path only due to recent rains and I found both types equally comfortable.  Just this week, I chose to wear my spiked version because of wet conditions.  The only time I had any slippage was when attempting to get solid footing in a creek bed (hazard) that was really muddy.  I simply adjusted the placement of my feet and proceeded without any problem.

• 5318 points

@pulplvr Great feedback on the difference.

I'm hoping to get my CC's spikeless by Friday and am keen to try them out. I occasionally put myself in those "crazy locations" as well and was curious.