Forums

shoe trees

•  

so i know most people on here swear by shoe trees, but i have a question/concern.  i picked up a few pairs of shoe trees a while back and quickly stuck them in my Icons.  but it seemed to be a very tight fit in the toe area.  my concern is any issues of stretching the shoe out.  i have a fairly narrow foot and i would hate to damage my shoes (or at least the comfort) by stretching them.  any thoughts?

•  

Tdogg, most of the shoe trees have the ability to wide at the toe box.  I don't have a pair of the FJ ones, but the ones that I do have can be expanded.  I guess in your case, you just wouldn't adjust them.  

Have you noticed the toe box being strectched out?

•  

I would think they could stretch some if they are that tight. I like the FootJoy Premium Shoe Trees because they are sized to fit and have width and length adjustments.  

•  

i picked up a couple of Jos. A Bank when they had one of their super clearance sales.  i don't think they are adjustable, but i'll have to look.

•  

Tim,

Get out your knife and do some whittlin (add bholley voiceover)

TT

•  

No worries on this at all Tim. They may be tight, but you really need to put a ton of pressure on the leather to stretch it out that much. You want there to be some amount of pressure so the leather stays taught, which is wht you use a shoe tree in the first place. Meant to keep the leather from getting wrinkles.....

•  

OUTIGER
    Tim,

Get out your knife and do some whittlin (add bholley voiceover)

TT

i tried to do this but i couldn't find anyone to play the banjo while i worked.

•  

Tar Heel
    No worries on this at all Tim. They may be tight, but you really need to put a ton of pressure on the leather to stretch it out that much. You want there to be some amount of pressure so the leather stays taught, which is wht you use a shoe tree in the first place. Meant to keep the leather from getting wrinkles.....

i was hoping you would respond.  that makes a lot of sense.  i guess i was just surprised at it stretched things out and was worried i would damage something.  thanks!

• 5241 points

Tar Heel is on the money on this -  My foot is between and medium and wide width in the ICON last. Medium was too snug and wide was not snug enough. My local cobbler had the solution for me: His shoe stretching equipment widened out the medium enough to provide a good fit. I asked it I could do this at home with shoe trees (saving a whopping $10 or so) and the answer was, shoe trees provide enough pressure to retain the shoe shape, take out wrinkles but will NOT change the width..

• 335 points

A shoe tree it self should not be able to stretch the shoe,  I would not worry about it........

•  

Joe_Izzo
    A shoe tree it self should not be able to stretch the shoe,  I would not worry about it........

thanks for the expert insight.  that makes me feel better.  i have a narrow foot.  the mediums fit, but my worry was what would happen if it stretched a little.  i suspected there was nothing to worry about.  but that's my way.  i knew people here would be able to ease my fears.

•  

I haven't had any problem with my shoe's widening at all with the tree's in them. As Randy mentioned it would take a great deal more pressure to stretch out the leather. I biggest thing I notice when I use the tree is that the toe doesn't curl up after many many rounds. Had a few pairs in college do that when I would wear them more and not use trees.