Forums

Different shoes for different swings?

• 2781 points

I was sitting around yesterday watching golf when I started to wonder should I be wearing one type of shoe over another depending on my swing? Not everyone has the same swing and your feet play a big role. So many people just go to their pro shop or retailer and look at the cosmetics of a shoe but never consider the make up of the shoe itself (an Icon is going to feel a lot different during a swing than a M:Project). Thoughts?

•  

yeah, good points. You should go to D sports or golf galaxy to see how stable the shoes you like are. I go with shoe that are the most comfortable to walk in. If I felt they were unstable when I was swinging though, I would switch to a different style. Always a Footjoy style though, of course.

•  

This is a great question! There really isn't a simple answer to your question. The most important thing in a golf shoe is that it fit properly. If it doesn't fit, it will only hurt your game and probably your feet. Based on testing that I have done in The Box, I will say that for my swing it really doesn't matter what shoe I wear, the results are pretty much the same for me. Knowing that information however, I still prefer the ICON as my everyday shoe on the course. Now, I do swing like the old guy that I am (driver clubhead speed 100-105MPH) so I don't really need the extra stability of the XPS. If you have a very aggressive swing, hello TT and Whaql1, you really could benefit from the extra stability of the XPS.

All FootJoy shoes provide a solid base for the golf swing, some do just suit your game better than others. Before you pick a style, determine the style of your swing. If it is pretty smooth and balanced then pretty much any of the shoes that you like the fit and cosmetics of will work. If you are a pretty hard swinger, look at the XPS, ICON and DryJoys Tour.

•  

There you have a very highly informed answer from Rick!

Red, the one thing you consider that you didn't mention is do you walk or ride? The swing is certainly one thing, but if you walk you may want to consider one style over another. Like Rick, I wear Icons exclusively, and my swing speed isn't high enough to need an XPS. I've walked 36 holes in a day (with a caddy) and worn Icons and they are perfect. BUt you may prefer something that feels personally better on your foot.

Get your foot measured well by a good shoe person. Know those measurements and then go to a store with a full FJ ensemble. Try on lots of different pairs and you'll find the right place for you and your feet.

One important thing... FJ shoes are very consistant across the range size-wise. Once you know your size you'll be dialed in for all styles of shoes. One of the best things to know since other brands have variances, so you never know what is going to work....

•  

Good answers above.  Measurements to fit your feet first, then pick a style that supports your swing. . . it wouldn't be surprising to find an array of choices available within FootJoy as you and everyone in the FJC knows.

I've yet to try the MProject-- I'm going to-- and I know I'm behind on this for my own use.  Anyway, the path I took was different from what's been logically described above.  I'm one who is easily drawn to best style and look.  But I now have favorite, and they are the ICONs.  I must admit, I fell in love with its style before I even knew about what it posses or what it can do for me.  With much luck, the Icons are the best made shoes for golf in my opinion.  The stability it provides during the swing, the comfort in a walk and not to mention its durability and quality.  Additionally, MyJoys Icons provides and offers to  express some inner soul for all to see.  The colors and art adds positiveness to my will.  It's all about personalization and it becomes part of the game and who I am.  With me, I'm new to MyJoys, and when I'm in them, the inspiration it brings, along with how it's made, oh, they are awesome!

My dad is not foreign to FootJoy.  I went through the kitchen one early morning and he tells me, "It's easy to love something that has everything you need in it (he's looking at my shoes)".

• 2781 points

Thanks for the comments guys.  Real good insight and something everyone should be thinking about when they get a new pair of shoes.

•  

Let me add Red, don't only get measured, but try that model and size on because each model is designed on a different last (a mold if you will). An ICON will fit different than a DryJoy Tour, for example. I was personally guilty of this error and bought several 11M Footjoy shoes because that's what I wear in street shoes. While at the FJA Invitational, "The Box" showed me the error of my ways and now, I  wear the 10.5 Wide Footjoy DryJoy Tour.

•  

also consider how balanced you are in your swing.  if you aren't very balanced, even a slow swing speed might need the XPS.  but if you are very balanced and smooth, even with a high swing speed, you could still benefit from the M Project.  for me, i have a somewhat fast swing, but i keep things smooth and balanced.  so i have no need for the extra stability of the XPS and i can get away with just about any of the FJ shoes.  i've gone with the Icons and i am very happy.  look good, feel good, and perform.  what more could you want??