Lydia Ko sets All-Time Record for Youngest to Win LGPA Tour

Lydia Ko sets All-Time Record for Youngest to Win LGPA Tour

•  

Good for her - let's hope she has a blast the next 4 to 6 years and comes out to play fully prepared for the LPGA.

• 3852 points

eagle3

Interesting, in that the age of the winner on the Women's Tour keeps getting lower. My question is why is the Tour allowing these young golfers the opportunity to play in this type of venue? I would think that allowing these young players in would subject them to outside pressures that cannot be good for them or the Tour.

My answer as to why the Tour "allows" teens to play is that, for the Women's Am, she qualified for the event. Teens are allowed to try and qualify.  To qualify and play in the Women's Am at 15 is unusual. To actually win it is unheard of!

As to playing in the pro event, she was invited, I think, due to her Amateur win. I think the Women's Tour is looking for anyone who might bring some attention to women's pro golf and a 15 year old phenom who wins gets attention throughout the golf world. 

• 3852 points

eagle3

Interesting, in that the age of the winner on the Women's Tour keeps getting lower. My question is why is the Tour allowing these young golfers the opportunity to play in this type of venue? I would think that allowing these young players in would subject them to outside pressures that cannot be good for them or the Tour.

Psychologically, the pressure on a 15 year old in the Women's Am or a pro event is actually less because the expectations are low. There is a go for broke attitude combined with a lack of fear or nerves that can actually give a teen a boost to go all out and not worry about the magnitude of the event. She may have no real idea of what she;s accomplishing at 15--how big a deal it really is. This is the innocence of youth and part of why young phenoms often burn out as they get older and realize how tough the game actually is.

• 396 points

golfdoc, I think you're right. Bringing younger girls on the scene could be great for women's golf. As a lady golfer, I would LOVE to see more hype about women's golf. Maybe then payouts would get closer to evening out with what the men receive....

Check out this article about the LPGA Tour vs the PGA Tour:  http://www.golftoday.co.uk/news/yeartodate/news02/lpga3.html

•  

TitleistGirl

golfdoc, I think you're right. Bringing younger girls on the scene could be great for women's golf. As a lady golfer, I would LOVE to see more hype about women's golf. Maybe then payouts would get closer to evening out with what the men receive....

Check out this article about the LPGA Tour vs the PGA Tour:  http://www.golftoday.co.uk/news/yeartodate/news02/lpga3.html

The only way the LPGA payouts will increase is if more people watches them on TV. What do you suppose will cause that to happen? The PGA attracts viewers by showing the best golfers on the planet and the best female pros cannot compete with their talent.

• 396 points

fredcloss

TitleistGirl

The only way the LPGA payouts will increase is if more people watches them on TV. What do you suppose will cause that to happen? The PGA attracts viewers by showing the best golfers on the planet and the best female pros cannot compete with their talent.

Right, but if the LPGA is getting more attention through these young talented players that could increase the number of viewers/fans. If a 15 year old girl is winning pro events, that sounds like getting close to having the best golfers on the planet involved in women's golf.

The LPGA can get the best female golfers in their world. The PGA would be separate. Do you think it would be difficult for two strong organizations to coexist in the golf world?