Lydia Ko sets All-Time Record for Youngest to Win LGPA Tour

Lydia Ko sets All-Time Record for Youngest to Win LGPA Tour

• 3852 points

Pretty amazing stuff. A 15 year old won the Canadian Women's Open today after shooting a final round 67. This is the same girl who two weeks ago won the U. S. Women's Amateur. Not a bad couple of weeks worth of playing.  She commented that because she's an amateur, it was a bigger deal to her to win the Amateur than the pro event. 

She is in no hurry to turn pro, wanting to follow Michele Wie's example by going to college. But since she's only 15 and not yet even close to finishing high school, we'll see whether she and her family can weather the onslaught of agents who will be licking their chops to get her endorsement deals and turn pro.

Lexi Thompson won last year at age 16 and she ended up getting a special acceptance to join the women's tour. 

Interesting to see whether a phenom at age 15 gets better and can make it in golf or ends up having reached her highest plateau at age 15.

•  

yeah, the agents can make life nasty with the $$$ signs they will throw around. Hopefully, she will maintain her ability to putt, unlike Michelle Wie never was a good putter and, if she could just learn that skill, she's be a force to reckon with.

•  

"Girls mature faster than boys" which is a huge understatement considering most boys never mature at all and the ones which do you wish they hadn't.

•  

Interesting, in that the age of the winner on the Women's Tour keeps getting lower. My question is why is the Tour allowing these young golfers the opportunity to play in this type of venue? I would think that allowing these young players in would subject them to outside pressures that cannot be good for them or the Tour.

•  

That is amazing.  

•  

Perhaps the LPGA needs to no longer allowed amateurs to play.

•  

I agree with eagle3. These kids should enjoy their young life, it only comes once. I wonder why you don't see this on the PGA tour.

•  

Incredible effort from a 15 year old.

Is that purely a prodigy at work or an indictment of the LPGA regulars???

Interesting question ... maybe ... but that's the real beauty of golf in that anyone can have a great run.

Will be fascinating to see how she chooses to spend the next few years.

Not sure I could wait 6 + years to finish college before I tried out for the tour.

OZ-Crocman

• 2956 points

Absolutely amazing stuff. I watched a bunch of the tournament, and it is something to see such a young woman (actually, no offense, but I'd still say young girl) play at that level. Wish her all the best, and hope the press, hoopla, etc do not spoil her.

• 396 points

You've never been more right!! haha

• 396 points

It's a choice, just like anything else. Obviously education is most important, but the LPGA Tour shouldn't have to make rule changes. With Ko's talent, it wouldn't surprise me if she's smarter than most college graduates anyway...  I think it's the parents' responsibility to set the rules.

While I agree that the ages are getting a bit ridiculous, I say go for it!

•  

Noticed that she is from the right part of the world and from New Zealand (Almost Australian).

Will be interesting to see which US college attracts her if that's the way she chooses to go.

OZ-Crocman

• 514 points

Great golf for an up and coming future LPGA golfer

•  

At age 15 to rush would be a mistake from my perspective. There's a level of maturity much needed as well....Articles note she will remain amateur to finish High School then off to college, hopefully Stanford. She stated 'breaking records is amazing" it's awesome to play with the Pros but things got nerve wacking the last few holes". Although Lydia handled the tournament very well and played like she had done it before she's still just a young teenager who needs the opportunity to experience life off the course and have some fun along the way before making golf a final career choice.

• 396 points

girlsgotgolf

At age 15 to rush would be a mistake from my perspective. There's a level of maturity much needed as well....Articles note she will remain amateur to finish High School then off to college, hopefully Stanford. She stated 'breaking records is amazing" it's awesome to play with the Pros but things got nerve wacking the last few holes". Although Lydia handled the tournament very well and played like she had done it before she's still just a young teenager who needs the opportunity to experience life off the course and have some fun along the way before making golf a final career choice.

Very valid point.