Player of the Year

Player of the Year

• 538 points

Today's poll on Morning Drive was for "Player of the Year" up to this point.  The 3 choices were:

1) Rory McIlroy; 2) Tiger Woods; and 3) Someone Else.   I vote for Rory because a major win where 

a record is set beats 3 regular wins.   Any takers on that ?   Or, Someone Else ?  

•  

Good point - A major tops 3 wins any day.

• 674 points

fredcloss

Good point - A major tops 3 wins any day.

Given the pressure and adversity Tiger faced this year, 15 tourney's, 9 top 20's, 6 top 10's and 3 wins-regaining (although temporary) World #1 Status (something many thought he would never do) easily puts him in the conversation for Player of the Year.  Not discounting what Rory did at Kiawah but that was one tournament, Tiger has played better over the course of the 2012 season, especially given the scope and context of the pressure that he now plays under.

•  
    TW, three wins! $$leader!
  •  

TNT009
    TW, three wins! $$leader!

If Rory had won the event he lost to DJ I would say yes, he folded like a house of cards though. TW barely.

•  

POY is a crap shoot at this time. Everyone is juiced by RORS victory at this time. Let's see who wins next will be the POY (that's my theory and I'm sticking to it!)

-ICONs for ALL

•  
    If you say Rors, why not EE, BW or WS! TW's wins weren't on Ricky dink courses, three is three!
  •  

I will see your 3 wins and raise you a major.  Majors trumps all.  But the season is not over.  Several more playoff tourneys to go. A win or 2 there could flip this whole thing upside down

• 1441 points

I agree a major does have more pull than a few tournament wins. But you have to give Tiger credit for the way he has played this year and granted no wins has performed better than Rory all year for the most part and I'm a Mcilroy fan. Think it takes 1 more win in playoffs to get POY for Rory or a solid run at least. Will be fun to watch to see how it turns out.
    • 674 points

bmullins
    I agree a major does have more pull than a few tournament wins. But you have to give Tiger credit for the way he has played this year and granted no wins has performed better than Rory all year for the most part and I'm a Mcilroy fan. Think it takes 1 more win in playoffs to get POY for Rory or a solid run at least. Will be fun to watch to see how it turns out.

Completley agree, I think in almost any other case Rory's win last weekend does it; but given what Tiger has come back from it lends alot more to the weight of his achievements, I think either of these guys pulls out a win between now and they end of the season locks it down.

•  

I would like to see who comes out on top in the FedEx cup. If I had to pick right now,  it would have to be Tiger based on wins and cosistancy.

• 689 points

Not only has tiger had 3 wins, but, if I'm remembering correctly, he has been very higih up in all the majors as well

•  

a major win is bigger than a regular win.  but one major better than three tourneys that are ranked just below the majors?  i'm not sure.  and Rory struggled all summer.  he did NOTHING in any of the other majors.  i'm a huge Rory fan and he was lights out in the spring, but so was Hunter Mahan and no one is talking about him.  i don't think POY is decided yet.  it's so close.  what if webb or bubba or ernie win a tourney in the playoffs and take the fedex cup?  that would definitely push them past Rory and Tiger.

•  

No way, this is definately Rory's year.

•  
    I'll ask again, if you say Rory, was it because it was such a decapitation of the field and if you use that theory..... Then I say Bubba for hitting the most amazing shot this year, that hooking pitching wedge! Wins are hard to come by and if you're winning, you're top the FedEx and Money list!