Who was the bigger Open surprise ?

Who was the bigger Open surprise ?

•  

Simpson/Thompson coming from nowhere or Mcdowell/Furyk  blowing it .

Footjoy guy winning it all, Priceless

• 2947 points

No big surprise either way. The US Open has many instances of players coming up from behind, while the leaders are concentrating as much on their position and playing partner as they are on their game and the course. (IMO) There is a lot let pressure on the player that is a few shots back than there is on the players in the lead, or within a shot or two.

Congratulations to Webb Simpson, FootJoy and Titleist!

•  

Losing WGR #1 and 2.....(CUT)

-ICONs for ALL

•  
    I say Simpson's victory
  •  

Anything can happen in golf.....Furyk, McDowell, Simpson & Thompson all played spectacularly regardless of how it ended up...Being the front runner through out the tournament definitely keeps the pressure on and takes a toll as we saw at the end.

•  

You know Thompson was much closer to that playoff then Mcdowell ever was.  His missed birdie putt on 17 was closer then Mcdowell's on 18. Nobody even heard of this buy before the open and he looked like a first day leader one-off. comming back on day 4 and almost sneaking into a playoff.

•  

THE TEXAS LONGHORNS GOLF TEAM.

GONNA BE TOUGH FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF YEARS.

HOOK 'EM HORNS

(SORRY TIM)

•  

There was surprise - Olympic is now 0-5 allowing the 36 hole leaders to win. It just seems that weird things happen to people down the stretch there. The top players seem to shoot themselves in the foot and the lesser accomplished players come through. Kudos to Webb Simpson for taking the trophy - the way he played the weekend, he almost ran away with it as he could have played 3-4 shots better on the back nine. Give 
    McDowell credit for almost pulling off the tie at the end. 

• 1495 points

That course was brutally tough and required accuracy from every location that you ended up in. Furyk has always been known as a steady player, but I was shocked to see him come undone in the last 6 holes or so. I thought Mcdowell would give that birdie put on 18 a little better run than that. The one player that impressed me the most was Beau Hossler, very mature and composed for a 17 year old on one of golfs grandest stages. Well done to Beau and congrats to Webb Simpson.

•  

miguelj20

That course was brutally tough and required accuracy from every location that you ended up in. Furyk has always been known as a steady player, but I was shocked to see him come undone in the last 6 holes or so. I thought Mcdowell would give that birdie put on 18 a little better run than that. The one player that impressed me the most was Beau Hossler, very mature and composed for a 17 year old on one of golfs grandest stages. Well done to Beau and congrats to Webb Simpson.

Miguelj20 you bring up an interesting point - Hossler did not win low - am (that was a surprise) given his play for the week.

-ICONs for ALL

•  

I think the greatest surprise of them all was Thompson. While Simpson has been an up and coming Pro, Thompson was a nonentity up to the Open. And leading the way he did against some of the best in golf after 2 rounds was a shock to the "big boys".

And another surprise was that all of us who tried to predict the winner of each round and the results. When I checked on Sat. I couldn't find anyone who made any of the picks right, but I could have missed someone.

•  

Furyk and McDowell are two of the best grinders in golf and must admit I was pretty shocked neither of them one.

The course was tough but they both made a lot of mistakes and you paid the price for hitting the wrong shot.

Simpsons 68/68 on the weekend was just fantastic golf and he is a very deserved winner.

Surprise - Thompson & Peterson, never heard of them before this.

Felt for Hossler as played unbelievable for a 17 year old and would have been nice for him to finish low-am but by all accounts Speith is a star of the future.

OZ-Crocman.

•  

No surprises, but never a dull moment. . . lots of hopes were crushed for Furyk, we were all behind him (and all the other old timers-- Davis Love III. . .)

Awesome set up at the Olympic.

•  

This course made fools out of almost all pros and a few amatures. i wouldn't say McDowell or Furyk "blew it" or that Webb went out and "took it," rather that Webb was the most conistant over 4 days and everyone else was not. The US Open (save a few instances) is not about shooting a lights out round on Sunday and roaring in for a win, but steady "boring" golf. Webb did this better and was rewarded.

• 3852 points

What a beautiful course...the cypress trees that frame most holes are just gorgeous and yes, the course made them all look foolish. I was there for all 4 days of the championship and if you weren't there walking the holes, it's tough to appreciate how difficult the greens were, how difficult the first 6 holes were,  and even the penalty of the soft sand. Just a great course for the Open to be played on.