The PLAYERS

The PLAYERS

• 609 points

Golf's other fifth major?

So-so course with a gimmicky 17th hole?

Does a solid field make up for other inadequacies?

Lastly, pick your FJ player to win it.

Cuss and discuss.

•  

smashdn

Cuss and discuss.

gimmicky, gimmicky 17th hole?  we have a course in the lansing michigan area called eagle eye.  its 17th hole is identical to the one at sawgrass all the way down to the ridge running through it.  my son and i played it last year.  i played to the center of the green and hit it in one.  he shot for the pin which was placed behind that small pot bunker and put 2 in the water.

it was playing just over 100 yards that day

•  

smashdn

Cuss and discuss.

Golf only has 4 majors- end of story.  Yes the field is stacked, but I hate when people try to hype it up as much as they do.  The 17th is pretty cool, and has it's place.  Gimmicky? Yes, but also fun to watch.  The strength of the field is the only reason anyone cares about this tournament IMO.  I think Adam Scott will bring it home.

•  

I think 17 is a great test of the nerves on Sunday. After all it is only a 9 iron.  But Sunday makes you think.

•  
    I don't know who will win I just hope a FJ player does
  •  

i don't think 17 is gimmicky.  it's a solid hole that is made more difficult and high profile because it is the 17th.  

•  

This tournament is in the same vain as the World Golf Championships in that it pits the world top 50 in a select tournament.

My selections:

Oosthuizen, Louis

McIlroy, Rory

Huh, John (your probably scratching your head..Huh - HAHA)

-ICONs for ALL

•  

smashdn

Cuss and discuss.

Hey SMASHDN, welcome to the FJC.

Why do you not like this course/tournament? (based on your questions)

• 609 points

thomas alston iii

I don't not like the tournament.  It is fine.  But it has long been thrust upon us as a "fifth" major by the PGA.  (The other I alluded to is Q-School, which is going the way of the dodo.)  The field is excellent.

I personally do not care for the 17th at TPC-Sawgrass from an architectural standpoint.  It is wholly contrived and in no way shape or form works with the land or appears as part of it.  I fully understnd its design however.  And it does serve its purpose well.  Its positioning on the course and within the round for which the course is designed is perfect.  As a tournament hole it is excellent.  As a golf hole it is rather terrible by being unduly penal.  Aside from the 17th what other holes on the course promote interesting golf decisions or are memorable?  Without looking at the routing could you visualize another hole at TPC-Sawgrass?  In my mind I see it as a one-trick pony.

My questions also do not always necessarily point towards my specific views but oftentimes are asked to generate intelligent discussion.

Thank you sir for the welcome.

I like what I have been seeing from Stricker.

•  

smashdn

thomas alston iii

I don't not like the tournament.  It is fine.  But it has long been thrust upon us as a "fifth" major by the PGA.  (The other I alluded to is Q-School, which is going the way of the dodo.)  The field is excellent.

I personally do not care for the 17th at TPC-Sawgrass from an architectural standpoint.  It is wholly contrived and in no way shape or form works with the land or appears as part of it.  I fully understnd its design however.  And it does serve its purpose well.  Its positioning on the course and within the round for which the course is designed is perfect.  As a tournament hole it is excellent.  As a golf hole it is rather terrible by being unduly penal.  Aside from the 17th what other holes on the course promote interesting golf decisions or are memorable?  Without looking at the routing could you visualize another hole at TPC-Sawgrass?  In my mind I see it as a one-trick pony.

My questions also do not always necessarily point towards my specific views but oftentimes are asked to generate intelligent discussion.

Thank you sir for the welcome.

I like what I have been seeing from Stricker.

You will Indeed (more often) receive intelligent (often passionate) points of view from the membership.

Thank you for the response to my inquiry and it is often the course designer's "signature hole" that truly defines the particular track making it destinctive.

Pete Dye created a course design that favored no particular player or style of play. The result is a truly balanced golf course. Players find a selection of short, medium and long holes within the categories of par-3s, par-4s and par-5s; both right and left doglegs; and a course routing laid out so no two consecutive holes ever play in the same direction. With its signature island green, the 17th hole is one of the most widely-recognized golf holes in the world. This legendary golf course has captured the imagination of golf fans all over the world and is consistently named among the top golf courses worldwide.

-ICONs for ALL

• 3539 points

I don't really buy into the 5th major either but, I like TPC Sawgrass and the Players. I've played Sawgrass a few times and it's a good layout. Have I played better...absolutly but, its a solid track. The 17th is a fun hole and one the tour members should eat up but, under tournament pressure they don't and that's what many fans (including myself) enjoy. If the 17th is not surrounded by water, I would be willing to bet it would play under par at the Players.

•  

shawks11

I don't really buy into the 5th major either but, I like TPC Sawgrass and the Players. I've played Sawgrass a few times and it's a good layout. Have I played better...absolutly but, its a solid track. The 17th is a fun hole and one the tour members should eat up but, under tournament pressure they don't and that's what many fans (including myself) enjoy. If the 17th is not surrounded by water, I would be willing to bet it would play under par at the Players.

You are correct, the 17th is a wedge or 9 iron....

The water/wind is the psychological game played on the player...that is what makes it such a fun/challenging hole (great drama).

-ICONs for ALL

•  

shawks11

Without a doubt.  If the 17th was dry, it would be the biggest joke out there.  The water and wind just wreak havoc with the mental game.  The fact as many balls end up in the drink as they do is a shocker IMO.

• 1539 points

Lets go with Stricker.
  •  

shawks11

you're right.  and it has nothing to do with the water itself.  if there was no water the guys would just get up there and put it on the green.  if it was all grass around that hole, very few guys would miss the green.