Does Luke Donald get the respect.....???

Does Luke Donald get the respect.....???

•  

To become #1 WGR is a definitive statement of your abilities and consistency as a player (there have not been many players at this penacle). It appears as if Luke, dispite his ranking is overlooked and overshadowed by others. Is this a media condition, a LD condition or a lack of something>(majors, grit, controversy, tc.)?

Thoughts/comments? 

-ICONs for ALL

• 3627 points

thomas alston iii

To become #1 WGR is a definitive statement of your abilities and consistency as a player (there have not been many players at this penacle). It appears as if Luke, dispite his ranking is overlooked and overshadowed by others. Is this a media condition, a LD condition or a lack of something>(majors, grit, controversy, tc.)?

Thoughts/comments? 

-ICONs for ALL

No, he gets very little of the recognition his peers due as the #1 playing in the world. When Rory reached #1 it was a huge deal...Luke regains it with a very solid playoff win? Crickets. I'm guessing it mostly has to do with the fact that Luke isn't a loudmouth and goes about his business quietly.

•  

PatCCraig

thomas alston iii

Thoughts/comments? 

-ICONs for ALL

No, he gets very little of the recognition his peers due as the #1 playing in the world. When Rory reached #1 it was a huge deal...Luke regains it with a very solid playoff win? Crickets. I'm guessing it mostly has to do with the fact that Luke isn't a loudmouth and goes about his business quietly.

no the reasion that he dosnt get any respect is because he is world number one and has never won a major tournament

• 3627 points

Wheelez3030

PatCCraig

thomas alston iii

Thoughts/comments? 

-ICONs for ALL

no the reasion that he dosnt get any respect is because he is world number one and has never won a major tournament

He's been #1 in the world for 44+~2 weeks...that's pretty impressive. I never said he didn't get respect, just not as much recognition as other recent #1's, IMO.

• 2180 points

I believe there is a lot of factors that play into the "crickets" he gets. 

The major one being the media, although why this is the case i'm unsure of. He just doesn't get the "glamour" coverage that other players get. Part of this my be his approach at the game. A lot of people feel he is boring to watch, little emotion, ect.. I actually like to watch him, great poise and seems like a nice guy. 

Another part of it is, he doesn't really have huge ups and downs like some of the other players. He is just a solid golfer who is always finding himself toward the top of the leader board. What i'm trying to say here is people aren't really surprised when he wins because he is a great golfer. 

Whether i'm right or wrong who knows, but it sounds good in my head. Hahaha. 

The media plays such a major role in anything these days, whether they are trying to make president obama seem like he is doing a great job, or not promoting and giving due credit the the number 1 golfer in the world. Its all about what they want people to hear and not hear.  Not trying to be the debbie downer here, but its easy to see one news story on 4 different stations and hear how they are all different.. Golf, along with other sports are no different. 

•  

I think it's a few things with Donald.  He's not a super long hitter, he's not very outspoken, he's not the "next big thing" in terms of his age, and he hasn't won a major.  He's a great golfer and proves that you don't have to hit it 320 off the tee to be the best and beat the best.  He doesn't have a whole lot of "flash" so to speak, though, and that's probably why he doesn't get the recognition he likely deserves from the average golf fan.  

•  

I think he gets the respect of his peers, its the media that drives the rest of it.  The number 1 in the world is based too much on consistant high finishes. Golf is becoming too much like NASCAR.  The swing coaches are like crew chiefs, high finishes is more important than winning, championship series, etc.

•  

PatCCraig

Wheelez3030

PatCCraig

thomas alston iii

Thoughts/comments? 

-ICONs for ALL

He's been #1 in the world for 44+~2 weeks...that's pretty impressive. I never said he didn't get respect, just not as much recognition as other recent #1's, IMO.

Don't think he gets the respect because his climb was more predicated on top 10 finishes and not so many victories...sure he had 2 or 3 in his run to #1 but when you compare that to Rory's run of victories or top 5 finishes along with his personality versus LD...Luke doesn't get the respect...

•  

GTJacket8

I think it's a few things with Donald.  He's not a super long hitter, he's not very outspoken, he's not the "next big thing" in terms of his age, and he hasn't won a major.  He's a great golfer and proves that you don't have to hit it 320 off the tee to be the best and beat the best.  He doesn't have a whole lot of "flash" so to speak, though, and that's probably why he doesn't get the recognition he likely deserves from the average golf fan.  

That's pretty much it in a nut shell. - he's got game. . . tough to beat a guy that won't go away.

•  

no he doesn't.  and i think it's because he's not a 'young-gun', he's not loud or flashy, and he's European.  so the media doesn't have much to 'exploit'.  and also because he's so consistent he doesn't have tourneys where he storms back from 12 down on Sunday and he doesn't have 18th hole meltdowns when he's leading.  he's just a solid player.

•  

Mondo

Don't think he gets the respect because his climb was more predicated on top 10 finishes and not so many victories...sure he had 2 or 3 in his run to #1 but when you compare that to Rory's run of victories or top 5 finishes along with his personality versus LD...Luke doesn't get the respect...

actually he had 4 wins last year worldwide to Rory's 2.  and they both are on an incredible run of top-5s.  going to be a battle between these two all year! (i hope)

•  

NCBob

I think he gets the respect of his peers, its the media that drives the rest of it.  The number 1 in the world is based too much on consistant high finishes. Golf is becoming too much like NASCAR.  The swing coaches are like crew chiefs, high finishes is more important than winning, championship series, etc.

i completely disagree.  i think the #1 player in the world should be the best player.  if i guy wins 3 times and misses 7 cuts in 10 events and another guy has 10 top-5 finishes, i think the more consistent player is the better player.  if you want to argue differently for the Fed Ex cup, fine, but not for the distinction of "World's best Golfer."

• 3627 points

Mondo

PatCCraig

Wheelez3030

PatCCraig

thomas alston iii

Thoughts/comments? 

-ICONs for ALL

In 2011 & 2012 Luke Donald has won 3 times on the PGA Tour and 3 times on the Euro tour. Rory? 3 victories in the world in 2011 & 12...

• 3627 points

tdogg21

NCBob

i completely disagree.  i think the #1 player in the world should be the best player.  if i guy wins 3 times and misses 7 cuts in 10 events and another guy has 10 top-5 finishes, i think the more consistent player is the better player.  if you want to argue differently for the Fed Ex cup, fine, but not for the distinction of "World's best Golfer."

I agree. Consistency should be rewarded.

•  

REBEL

I believe there is a lot of factors that play into the "crickets" he gets. 

The major one being the media, although why this is the case i'm unsure of. He just doesn't get the "glamour" coverage that other players get. Part of this my be his approach at the game. A lot of people feel he is boring to watch, little emotion, ect.. I actually like to watch him, great poise and seems like a nice guy. 

Another part of it is, he doesn't really have huge ups and downs like some of the other players. He is just a solid golfer who is always finding himself toward the top of the leader board. What i'm trying to say here is people aren't really surprised when he wins because he is a great golfer. 

Whether i'm right or wrong who knows, but it sounds good in my head. Hahaha. 

The media plays such a major role in anything these days, whether they are trying to make president obama seem like he is doing a great job, or not promoting and giving due credit the the number 1 golfer in the world. Its all about what they want people to hear and not hear.  Not trying to be the debbie downer here, but its easy to see one news story on 4 different stations and hear how they are all different.. Golf, along with other sports are no different. 

Rebel makes some valid correlations on LD getting respect...I think character traits of typical Englishmen play a factor.

"Self-effacing: The British do not like boasting in any form. They prefer instead to denigrate themselves and their country. Healthy self-mockery and cynicism is highly regarded in British culture. Just consider Shakespeare's humour." 

"However, take note: They will still be offended if you join in with the joking about themselves or their country. If you boast about your country, your academic achievements, or whatever, they will smile and nod politely but inwardly they will think you are a buffoon."

"The British prefer people who keep quiet about their praise points and laugh about their faults. If

you must praise a Briton, make it heartfelt, true, and short."

"Independent. The British favour individualism rather than group orientation. A modern trend of thought is, ‘If it feels good to me, I will do it’ - without consideration for others." 

LD studied art theory and practice in college and enjoys painting and drawing when not on tour....He is really just a mellow fellow without alot of flash and penuche. I question whether media hype actually classifes as respect. Here's great look at LD...To me he's a class act !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxFX-gEvQ6M