Should Els get an exemption into the Master???

Should Els get an exemption into the Master???

•  

The Big Easy needs help to get in, should the Masters committee use that exemption or make him earn his way in? He is Golf Hall of Famer and has never missed making the Masters throughout his career.

What are your thoughts?

•  

I believe even Ernie said if he can not play his way in he should not be given an exemption.  Some of the quirky methods of qualifying for the invitation make the tradition of the masters what it is.

•  

I'm a little torn on this one.  On the one hand, I like Ernie and think he's a great golf ambassador.  I also think it would be really strange watching a Masters without him in it.  On the other hand, he has had AMPLE opportunity to earn his way into the Masters.  As exclusive as the Masters is (smallest major field and all), you really do have to earn it.  I think he needs to win next week to get in.

•  

Els needs to be in there. The committee needs to recognize his contibutions and his game.

•  

from what i understand, if ernie were to win in houston, he would be in.  so if they invite him under an exemption and he does win will it be too late to offer the exemption to another.

is the exemption a once spent it's gone type of thing?

els has been playing well and i would like to see him included.

•  
    If he does not qualify n the normal fashion, he should not play. Having said that, if the Men of the Masters want him in the field, they should extend him the invite. It is their tournament. I just do not think they will bend the rules for any one player.
  •  
    I think they should use the exemption on him
  •  

If Els doesn't qualify yet, the Masters committee wants to let him play, it's their right. However, this opens a very large can of worms for the future.

•  

He has been playing well but needs a win in Houston to make the field.

I hope they do invite him to play because he is a true ambassador of the game. Time will tell for the big easy.

•  

i'm really torn on this one.  Ernie has done a lot for this game and has played the last 19 master's.  and the Master's has done this before (norman i think).  so it wouldn't be out of the question if they did it again.  and they gave one to Ryo, who i think is deserving, but less deserving.  however, he has had his chances the last two weeks and just folded under the pressure.  i just don't know what to think.  but i do want to see him there.

•  

NCBob

I believe even Ernie said if he can not play his way in he should not be given an exemption.  Some of the quirky methods of qualifying for the invitation make the tradition of the masters what it is.

no, he said he would accept an exemption, but he wasn't going to lobby them for one.

•  

beej

from what i understand, if ernie were to win in houston, he would be in.  so if they invite him under an exemption and he does win will it be too late to offer the exemption to another.

is the exemption a once spent it's gone type of thing?

els has been playing well and i would like to see him included.

they can give as many or as few exemptions as they want.  that's the beauty of the Master's.  if Ernie doesn't get it, no one will.  so really it's not wasted either way.

•  

Great question.  I think if you didn't play your way in you shouldn't get to be there.  On the other hand I really like the Big Easy, and admire his charity work.  I won't be disappointed if he gets an exemption, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't

•  

ToddL
    If he does not qualify n the normal fashion, he should not play. Having said that, if the Men of the Masters want him in the field, they should extend him the invite. It is their tournament. I just do not think they will bend the rules for any one player.

Then it begs to discern why Isikowa gets in on an exemption and not the Hall of Famer!!! (just the facts - selection committee makes the rules.)

-ICONs for ALL

•  

joshgiano

Great question.  I think if you didn't play your way in you shouldn't get to be there.  On the other hand I really like the Big Easy, and admire his charity work.  I won't be disappointed if he gets an exemption, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't

I personally would be surprised simply based on Els' contributions to the game and charity.

-ICONs for ALL