What affect does switching equipment have....?

What affect does switching equipment have....?

•  

When a player switches equipment what has been the affect?

•  

i say thair old clubs are worn out, thay want to use the new clubs that has came out, or thay switch brands

•  

i think it is huge.  look at Graeme McDowell.  went from major winner and ryder cup hero to after-thought.  once he gets use to his new stuff i think he'll bounce back, but it's taking him 18+ months to do it.  and he's not the only one.  a lot of players win their first big tourney, get a huge equipment offer, switch, and then play horribly.  

• 3500 points

I think a lot goes into it. I am switching equipment for the first time in ages this year and will be able to speak more on it later.

However, I would put a lot of emphasis on whether the player is considered a "feel" player or more of a technical/numbers player. Personally, as a feel player, I will be hesistant when playing with me new stuff for the first time. But, I know I'll get used to them.

For these tour guys, they are so good, it doesn't matter. And a lot of it is all about the $$. So I can't really blame them.

I wish I could type way more but I'll ramble on forever. You pose a very solid quiestion and I think we could get quite the discussion going here.

•  

I change my equipment with every new generation of Titleist clubs. With the Driver and fairway metals I find the change to be very easy. The clubs are always an improvement and the performance or confidence is never a problem. the irons are pretty much the same, but they usually take 2-3 rounds before they are totally comfortable.

I go the kamikazi route, when the new equipment shows up it goes in the bag and the old goes in the closet.

•  

It is an interesting subject. Notable changes and one that may cause a lot of controversy is TW's switch to a Nike putter from his Scotty Cameron. His putting has really suffered. Others who have changed and are notable are DLlll, Graeme, Sergio, Els and others. They have all gone thru problems and the change is very obvious. A long time befroe they return to the winners circle.

•  

dzabkar

I think a lot goes into it. I am switching equipment for the first time in ages this year and will be able to speak more on it later.

However, I would put a lot of emphasis on whether the player is considered a "feel" player or more of a technical/numbers player. Personally, as a feel player, I will be hesistant when playing with me new stuff for the first time. But, I know I'll get used to them.

For these tour guys, they are so good, it doesn't matter. And a lot of it is all about the $$. So I can't really blame them.

I wish I could type way more but I'll ramble on forever. You pose a very solid quiestion and I think we could get quite the discussion going here.

I am also switching equipment and have hit about 1,000 balls at the range. I see differences and am adjusting to gain more confidence in how they consistently perfrom. It is going to take more rounds. It is going to be a little "relationship building" with these clubs...

-ICONs for All

• 1781 points

More than a few cases of flops with new equipment companies.  e.g., Mickelson going to Calaway right before the ryder cup

•  

eagle3

It is an interesting subject. Notable changes and one that may cause a lot of controversy is TW's switch to a Nike putter from his Scotty Cameron. His putting has really suffered. Others who have changed and are notable are DLlll, Graeme, Sergio, Els and others. They have all gone thru problems and the change is very obvious. A long time befroe they return to the winners circle.

agreed.  he might be a better putter in the end, but it takes a while.

•  

I would say it's pretty big.  It takes me a little time to get used to it.  I'm sure there's a learning curve for the pros as wel

•  

It seems like it has a huge effect, but I wonder if its mostly in the head. If memory serves me correctly, Camilo Villegas was with Cobra and was doing very well, but when he switched to Nike, he hasn't done diddly pooh.

• 3500 points

big tony

More than a few cases of flops with new equipment companies.  e.g., Mickelson going to Calaway right before the ryder cup

All about the $$ on situations like this im guessing.

•  

dzabkar

big tony

All about the $$ on situations like this im guessing.

that's exactly right.  they forget what got them there.

•  

Dallin

It seems like it has a huge effect, but I wonder if its mostly in the head. If memory serves me correctly, Camilo Villegas was with Cobra and was doing very well, but when he switched to Nike, he hasn't done diddly pooh.

i think especially with the pros, it's less in the head and more with the clubs.  those guys are good, but there is a reason they know exactly how many wraps of grip tape and why they grind clubs.

•  

19hole

I change my equipment with every new generation of Titleist clubs. With the Driver and fairway metals I find the change to be very easy. The clubs are always an improvement and the performance or confidence is never a problem. the irons are pretty much the same, but they usually take 2-3 rounds before they are totally comfortable.

I go the kamikazi route, when the new equipment shows up it goes in the bag and the old goes in the closet.

Can I have your closet?