Rory's Tenure

Rory's Tenure

• 3506 points

How long do you think Rors will remain the worlds #1 golfer? Dan Hicks and Johnny "63" Miller made an interesting relation to Tiger and Rors when Tiger first got his #1 ranking. To me, Rory has "it." He has what it takes to dominate any golf tournament he enters. He needs to stay hungry and on the gas pedal & I think he can make a phenomonal run at #1. Catching Tiger's consecutive week mark may not be possible, but if anyone can do it, its Rors.

•  

I like Rory, but he needs to win more to be a real No.1.  Someone who wins 2-3 times or more a year and is a threat every week is really the best. I realize it is hard to win but that is what it takes to be No.1.

•  

I think he'll stay there for a good part of this season (if not the remainder of it).  Beyond that, it's tough to say.  He certainly has the talent to stay there for a long time.  I don't think he'll be as dominant as Tiger was though...but time will tell.  

•  

Rory is a completely different golfer than Tiger was then.  Rory is much more mature.  Tiger just overpowered courses and when he was on (which was most of the time) he dominated.  he tried and pulled off shots most guys wouldn't even think about attempting.  but he later admired the reason he would take such risks, was because he didn't have the refined game to play the course.  he could only overpower the course.  and he was great at it.  that was the biggest change when he went to hank.  he stopped overpowering the course and started playing to win.  that's why he stopped blowing the field away, but won more tournaments. 

Rory already has learned to play the course and just win.  that should be very beneficial to him sustaining this run he is on.  however, he has a lot more competition than Tiger did.  so it's going to be nearly impossible to match Tiger's consecutive weeks streak.

• 1441 points

I agree with your comments here I believe Rory has a chance to be at the top for a good while. But I don't believe anyone will be as dominant as Tiger was the level of competition is just far more equal than when Tiger went on his run of dominance. But it will be fun to watch this young man grow in years to come. Keep it up Rors.

• 3852 points

Rosy will not be thee for very long...I think a few top players will be shuffling back and forth in a game of musical chairs. And for those who've already written him off, you will be surprised to see that Tiger Woods will be one of them right back up there again.

•  

i think he will last a long time as world number 1

•  

golfdoc1

Rosy will not be thee for very long...I think a few top players will be shuffling back and forth in a game of musical chairs. And for those who've already written him off, you will be surprised to see that Tiger Woods will be one of them right back up there again.

Tiger's problem is his poor play the last two years.  since world rankings go back two years, he has a lot of overcome to get back up there.  but i think he is MORE than capable of doing it.  i think westwood, donald, and rory will fight for it a little while.  but i think Rory will stay at the top while everyone is fighting it out.  it just won't be a big gap.

• 1787 points

Two years is too long a time period to guage how well someone is playing Now.  Personally, I believe the current crop of European golfers spend too much time worrying about it.  Win (especially the majors) and in the end you'll be number 1.

I would hate for Westwood and Donald to be high in the rankings and never win majors.  That approach didn't work out so well for Monty.

• 3506 points

I think the parity in the game today is what is helping the golf world get past this Tiger hangover. I think Rors at #1 is awesome for the Tour and for the game in general.

•  

big tony

Two years is too long a time period to guage how well someone is playing Now.  Personally, I believe the current crop of European golfers spend too much time worrying about it.  Win (especially the majors) and in the end you'll be number 1.

I would hate for Westwood and Donald to be high in the rankings and never win majors.  That approach didn't work out so well for Monty.

i actually like that it is two years.  i don't want the title of 'world's #1 golfer' to go to any hot golfer.  if that was the case, Mark Wilson would have had a great chance at it the start of last year.  and i don't think anyone would have said he was the #1 golfer in the world.  i don't know how tournaments are weighted, but i assume majors and WGC events get more points.  but being consistently good week to week (like donald was last year and rory this year) is what makes a great golfer.  i just don't want it to get to the point a hot golfer wins a couple tournaments and maybe a major and he is considered 'best golfer in the world.'

•  
    I think Tiger has skewwed the view Iof the number 1 ranking, I don't think there will ever be another dominate #1 like Tiger was for many reasons, the competition is much closer with many different people winning over the course of a season, I think now the ranking will become more of one of consistency and one that will change a lot more.
  •  

I think Rory will surprise a lot of people with his tenure.  He's in contention most of the time, and he's always lingering around in Majors.  The kid flat out knows how to win, which not everyone can learn.  If he can ride this wave of success I wouldn't be surprised to see him gain some distance on #2 and the rest of the pack.

• 2770 points

Rory has been playing great for an extended period of time, something 10 or 12 events in a row finishing at least in the top 5.

Thats golfing your ball!! I dont expect it to change anytime soon.

•  

He is a great talented golfer but as everything in life has some weak points.

No prediction...