No Shorts for Tour Players

No Shorts for Tour Players

•  

I was just thinking about this a few days ago. Did anyone else ever notice that PGA players never wear shorts because of the PGA rules? It does look nicer, but I just never actually realized that I've always seen players wearing pants even when it was very hot until now. 

•  
    It is both a Tour and a PGA rule. The only exception PGA members get is when they play socially and the host Pro allows them to wear shorts.
    • 2180 points

I personally don't understand the rule. I see no reason why if they are golf shorts why it shouldn't be accepted when you have places like loudmouth making the crazy stuff they do and pga allows it. 

I see it from the integrity of the sport side, however look at the course next time you are there on a day about 75* and count the pants on the course being wore by golfers. 

•  

No doubt it is tough on hot days, but I would imagine that they are used to it.  The body will adjust...

•  

I have a couple of Valet locations that aren't allowed to wear shorts because the client doesn't want them to.  They're outside in North Carolina in July (not making millions of dollars playing a game they love) and they don't get to wear shorts.  I think it's stupid too, but I guess it's what you sign up for.

•  

Rumor has it that the "rule" on Tour came from an incident just after golf started to be televised. It says that a players wearing shorts (and not a lot else!) was squatting down to read a putt and he was facing the camera. Well you can imagine the view the home audience got. It goes on from there to an immediate ban of shorts on Tour.

Don't know if it is true or not, but it does make for a colorful story!

•  

It took a long time for the Tour to allow the caddies to wear shorts, but that finally happened.  I have noticed that none of the pros at any of the courses I play or work at wear shorts, usually not even when they are playing, but did not realize it was a PGA rule other than for the Tour.  I, too, wear long pants when I work at a course, particularly at Champions Golf Club, because I believe it presents a much better appearance for the members and guests--most of whom are wearing shorts.

• 2180 points

Maybe its just me being in a younger generation, but like I've stated I'm perfectly fine with whomever wearing nice shorts whether it be a player of grounds crew or caddie. A few of the courses Ive played have a nice shorts policy (basically can't be ripped, tore, fringeys, or be hanging half ways off your @!!)

Its a lot better than what a lot of people are wearing these days eh.

IMO its one of those "old" rules that I believe will change as the face of golf is changing. Guess we will see.

• 1263 points

I don't see the harm in letting the pros wear shorts during the summer months.  They should be comfortable when they are playing 5 hour rounds.  At least give the choice to the pro and let me decide.

•  

No shorts. The rule is fine and doesn't need a change. Certainly there are wonderful shorts out there, but it is a gentlemans game.

If I am playing an event at a nice club, no matter the weather, I always wear long pants. It's just the thing I do. If it's very hot (like now), I'll wear a pair of performance pants that have very light breathable fabric to them. And a lighter color of course.

Call me old fashioned, but that's how I see it.

PS, I refuse to wear the Loudmouth stuff too......

•  

My only argument for shorts is if we want younger golfers (who wear shorts) to be more interested in golf, why not let the pros look more similar to those younger players and wear shorts? Other than that small bit I am pretty much okay with pants.

•  

Mike

Snap out of it man! If younger golfers want to play they need to adapt to the traditions of the game. Sure youngsters can play when they want, but being a tour pro requires certain decorum.

Look at it this way. Baseball guys have to wear the uniform. Same wih all other sports. And they play in the elements just like golfers. Guys who race NASCAR wear firesuits in cars at 140*, and while I'm sure they'd like to wearshorts, it's a no go. Yeah I know, golf isn't NASCAR. But there is the leagacy of the sport, any sport.

At least guys don't have to wear wool and ties and vests any more (unless you're Ryan Palmer).  Seriously, it's fine to entice the young guys, but long pants are the uniform of the tour, any tour.

•  

randy mentioned:

"I'll wear a pair of performance pants that have very light breathable fabric to them. And a lighter color of course."

i have a few shirts made of this light weight breathable stuff and often i find that my body seems cooler than my arms when exposed to the sun.  i'm sure that the pants have a similar effect on the legs by keeping them out of the direct sunlight.  so if they stick with the right combination of fabric and color, the pro's will most likely find themselves more comfortable with the threds they have available to them.

by the way, those shirts i have that seem to keep me cooler,  three of them are black.

•  

Hmm,

I have often considered if pants may actually keep you cooler when I've seen a few caddies wearing them. Keeping your legs out of the direct sunlight but still being breathable sounds like it would be better than being exposed directly to the sunlight.

• 444 points

I like pants on the golf course too. Like others have mentioned, if the heat is extreme, I'll wear shirts, but it's mostly pants for me. Tim