Westwood out at Players

Westwood out at Players

•  
    Westwood out at Players; The Euro Tour is very strong right now... Maybe a change in min tournament rules is due.
  •  

Paul, I heard talk that they were either thinking of or going to implement a new rule where players had to play certain tournaments that they skip every year. I don't know if this is in effect now or they I'm sure Deno or GolfDoc will have the answers on this soon. are still working out the details.

•  

Each tour has their own rules for membership. So the PGA and the European Tour are competitors in the end. Today I heard someone on Morning Drive commenting on this, and they said stright up that Westwood was playing in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, so the Euro Tour was quite happy, and the Players didn't matter.

Of course it doesn't matter to them....

Golf is now global, so the tours need to get synched up so the top players can compete in the major events. Otherwise this will continue to be an issue.

•  

I can't blame him.  To us, the US tournaments are everything, to the Euro's there tournaments mean more.  Now, if TW or Phil start skipping THE Players to go to Dubai, we may be in some trouble!

•  

Agreed, golf has become a worldwide sport. I think it helps for the players to split their times and play both sides of the pond. The Euro Tour will benefit by several players committing to play full time on the Euro tour. The US tour will benefit from some of the Euros playing on the US Tour. It's a Win Win.

I think it is great for golf.

•  

Wonder if this will impact his world ranking at all?

•  

He may not be #1 by then and it won't matter...

•  

Westwoods comments concerning conflicting schedules makes sense.   Ernie Els also had alot of negative hings to say about it also.  One reporter stated Westwood SNUBS the Players.   These reporters add to the frenzy. 

Deno

• 1790 points

I wonder how much appearance money impacts the decision.  If the euros play the euro tour, then those events will get more world ranking points.  plus appearance money is ok on the euro tour.

why travel and play a tough course when they can get a guaranteed check playing with their home boys.

I agree with Deno, press builds this up too much.  Simple business decisions in my mind.