The Open Championship

The Open Championship

•  

Well FJ fans, we now are a mere one week away from The Open Championship at St. Andrews. Each of the tour professionals is now in full on preparation mode; some playing the John Deere and many others playing over in Scotland, but all trying to sharpen their game for one the the toughest challenges in golf.

We all have our favorites that we'd like to see win, from Strick to Phil, Justin, Lee, or Padrig. Who knows, we could even see a young lad like Rory bring home the treasured Claret Jug. In the end, Sunday July 18 we will crown the Champion Golfer of 2010. Who will it be? I'm sure we will all tune in to find out. Will it be a sun kissed day, or one full of wind and rain? One thing is certain, this year's Champion Golfer will face another stellar field and need to show shotmaking ability and a keen mind to battle the finest course created by Mother Nature's hand.

We know we'll see a variety of interesting fashions during the event, as we know Mr. Poulter has proclaimed he'll be wearing a very proper pair of plus fours and a peak lapel vest, all in a snappy Black Watch tartan of his own design. Certainly a myriad of argyle cashmere's will be on display as well, all set against the backdrop that is uniqquely St. Andrews in the summer. It will all make for great theatre.

I believe The Open Championship is my favorite Major of all. Yes I do love Augusta National, because it signifys the start of a new golf season and the promise of what lies ahed in a new year. The U.S. Open has always been a bit too "forced" for me, and while I love to watch, it is not as "pure" for me. The Open Championship has an aura that just can't be measured. I don't know, there is a bit of magic about the whole thing for me, as we've moved to the heart of the season and a great deal of the "story of the season" has been written. This tournament is now where, for me, the hands of fate truly hold the tournament and mold it. The ground derfines who will ultimately be champion, not the air. This unique situation, like the ground itself, is timeless.

I look forward to a wonderful event, and sipping my morning coffee with every twist, turn, shot, and putt. Play on gentlemen!

•  

Great post TH, could not agree with you more. There is something about the old course that just adds that little extra magic to the event. With a 60 shot at the John Deere it looks like Stricker is getting his game ready for sure, he is my pick for next week.

•  

Couldn't agree more Tar Heel.  The British Open (or Open Championship) is my favorite tournament.

By the way, what's the deal with the new photo?  Are you wearing NC State colors?

•  

I agree Tar Heel..especially about your comments relating the US Open.  I think Lee Westwood will finally break thru!  I hope he does b/c he's played so well and he's got the game do it.  I love getting up early to watch The Open Championship before the sun comes up with a great cup of coffee!  Other than Augusta, it's also my favorite!  I hope to play St. Andrews some day!! 

•  

Heel, I can only hope the TV coverage is as well done as your post!

Great job!!!

•  

Memphis! Stop it, you're killing me.... These are absolutely not NC State colors..... I wear 3 primary colors when I play golf; Black, Red and Blue (usually light blue). White those, I mix in a bunch of Navy's, Whites, and a couple other that are fashion hotties for the year. Matter of fact, for today's round I wore Red shirt, hat, and matched it with some IJP tartan shorts!

Man........ It's tough to be a fashionista isn't it?

•  

Tar Heel - that was a little long winded...you could have just said "yes, I'm wearing NC State colors."

Just kidding with you.  I wear every color under the sun.

•  

Actually ,it looks like TH may have joined the Cornhusker bandwagon with Erik. Nebraska had to move away from the Big 1210 and join a class conference, or so they say. All kidding aside, great post TarHeel. I am very much looking forward to the Open and perhaps another Tom Watson miracle.

•  

Love the NC State colors on the new snap. Light blue was beginning to look a little tarnished. Just kidding. New pic looks great. And the Open coming this week promises to be very interesting with TW in a funk and Big Easy and McDowell looking pretty well rested and ready to go. Should be a great test of the guys and the weather, as always , will put them all to the test.

•  

Memphis is all over you Tar Heel...just so you know...Memphis is right...those are definitely NC State colors...just kidding...trying to get you riled up.

By the way...you didn't exactly make a pick for the Open Championship...who are you picking to win this tournament???

•  

This is definately my favorite Major. I have been to a few Opens (and played in 2 Sr. Opens) and the golf required on these venues is nothing like what is played here in the States. The imagination required to get the ball in the hole is incredible.

This year should be quite interesting as St. Andrews has had a bit of a dry spell early this summer and the course should be VERY firm.

I can't wait......

Hope Phil M doesn't disappoint.

•  

OK, Memphis and JL....

I'm actually celebrating the Chicago Blackhawks Stanley Cup victory. You know, hockey!

•  
    Chicago Blackhawks are fine with me. Just as long as you don't say you're wearing Louisville colors. Those are fighting words in Memphis.
  •  

Tar Heel

OK, Memphis and JL....

I'm actually celebrating the Chicago Blackhawks Stanley Cup victory. You know, hockey!

Was thinking you switch over to a Badger fan there for a second, those are Badger colors, not NC State! : )

• 2107 points

"...Mr. Poulter has proclaimed he'll be wearing a very proper pair of plus fours and a peak lapel vest..."

Mr. Poulter (or Mr. "It will be just me and Tiger") has proclaimed quite a few things this week, once again proving his mouth is bigger than his game.  I actually like Ian and I love the outfits but shouldn't he actually win some before he starts popping off about how much the Europeans are going to win in the next few years?  I know he won the Match Play but I'm talking about majors.  I believe it's been about 14 years since an Englishman won a major (Faldo at Augusta in 1996).  Maybe Ian should try to win first and mouth off afterwards.