LPGA

LPGA

•  

The LPGA has added a new tournament to its schedule. Kia Motors America will be sponsoring the Kia Classic at LaCosta Resort , San Diego Mar 25 - 28. They also have an endorsement deal with Michelle Wie. It's good to see the LPGA getting some tournaments back.

•  

Couldn't agree more, grumpy. I think Michael Whan is off to a great start, getting Shoprite back in the fold and finding new events. Sybase is going to sponsor a match play event in May and Hana Bank signed on for a three-year deal.

•  

Agreed, would be great to see if they could work out a deal to take the US Bank spot that was on the PGA schedule until this year and add one in Milwaukee as well. Looks like the new commish is doing a good job.

• 2989 points

I think that the LPGA is on its way  back up.  They still got along way to go but, i wish them the best.  I enjoy watching LPGA, i go everytime they go to the stop in North Augusta.  I hope they pull it out.

•  

I think its great the LPGA is getting more tournaments.  I wish they would bring one to michigan.  We lost the Buick I think it be cool to go watch the LPGA play somewhere.

Caddy13

•  

GREAT !! THE LADIES SHOULD HAVE SOME GREAT YOUNG STARS WITH WIE,CREAMER,LEWIS,ETC.

HOPEFULLY THE U.S. CAN DEVELOP MORE GREAT YOUNG LADY PLAYERS.

GROUPS LIKE THE FIRST TEE ARE GETTING MORE YOUNG GIRLS INVOLVED IN THE GAME.

THE LPGA NEEDS TO SET BEHIND SOME OF THESE GROUPS IN A BIG WAY.

WE NEED MORE YOUNG U.S. TALENT

•  

I'm glad to see sponsors coming back and also see things like Michelle Wie, Natalie Gulbis, and Paula Creamer getting interviews and pieces in Golf and Golf Digest. We need to show just how good the ladies can play and keep the LPGA viable!

•  

With the group of great young players, it is nice to see the LPGA making a comeback. Now, if the economy can make the same kind of comeback, you will see some of the major sponsors getting back into hosting tournaments as well. Banks and Auto manufacturers were a mainstay but have had to bow out recently for obvious reasons.

Contrats to Michelle, Natalie, Morgan, Christina and all the rest!

•  

golfchick

Couldn't agree more, grumpy. I think Michael Whan is off to a great start, getting Shoprite back in the fold and finding new events. Sybase is going to sponsor a match play event in May and Hana Bank signed on for a three-year deal.

I just signed up to volunteer at the Sybase match play. I volunteered at the Sybase Classic in 2008 & 2009. These tournaments are in New jersey, which isn't far from me. I enjoy volunteering at LPGA tournaments. 

•  

I for one am definitely glad to see more LPGA events in the States and not out of the country as well. 

Congrats to the LPGA...maybe they are heading back upward

•  

This is what the LPGA has needed. More sponsors and greater exposure as a result. this may be the start of something better for the gals and I, for one, am lad to see it. I really enjoy watching the gals play. It is a little humbling, but,  then again, I don't worry about that type of thing any more.

• 1320 points

Most guys just don't realize how important the LPGA is to global golf overall. And, by extension, Michelle Wie is one of the most important people in golf right now. PRESSUREPRESSUREPRESSURE!!!

•  

THIS WEEKS GOLF WEEK HAS A GREAT ARTICLE ABOUT THELPGA TITLED--"AMERICAN AWAKENING".

IT TALKS ABOUT THE WORLD WIDE LPGA.

DID YOU KNOW THAT IN 1996 THERE WERE 38 EVENTS ON LPGA'S SCHEDULE AND THIS YEAR THERE IS ONLY 24. YEP,THEY HAVE LOST 14 EVENTS IN 14 YEARS.

OUCH !!!

•  

chalk that up the popularity of mens golf (I'm sure TW has something to do with that) and the fact that womens golf has become more expensive to put on as their purses have increased along with some of the things the former commissioner did to lose sponsors and there you have the loss of 14 tournaments...oh and lets not forget the economy!!

•  

Good news for you, grumpy830 -- sounds like the LPGA is making a big push for the Shoprite Classic June 17-20 up in your neck of the woods, New Jersey. Everybody gets in free Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (pro-ams and practice rounds). All service personnel (military, fire, police) get in free all week, as do people who have Shoprite shopper cards -- and of course, kids, per the LPGA policy. Even if you're not in one of those groups, the price is right -- even though a one-day grounds ticket is $15, you can get a week-long grounds pass for $30 and a clubhouse pass for $60. That's pretty affordable for a professional sporting event.