No Phil or Tiger

No Phil or Tiger

• 3348 points

On the Ryder cup team, both of them have poor  Ryder Cup records and most likely will not qualify on Points. I hope Captain Watson doesn't use a pick on them  although I know at least one will be there. I say go with new blood, guys like Furyk ,Zach and Kuchar can step up and be leaders. Gotta change it up if we want a different results

• 5868 points

Phil and Tiger are the main reasons I watch golf on TV. If they are in the field I have the tournament on. However they play so poorly in the Ryder Cup; I agree give someone else an opportunity to be successful.

•  

Watch Rickie and Bubba are going to be a blockbuster team.

The US is gonna have a great team this year.

•  
    Use TW and PM as asst coaches....
    • 2246 points

I'm betting both will be there for one reason only.  Money.  No Tiger, no Phil = bad TV ratings, decreased sponsorship interest, and overall bad for the game's image in the near term.

That said, I don't think Tiger deserves a pick.  I don't think he's proven over the past two years that he is capable of playing the kind of golf that would good enough to keep his dismal Ryder Cup record intact.  It would be far worse in my opinion.  Phil deserves it because as his age, it's probably his "last hurrah" for the Ryder Cup.  

I realize my statements sound harsh.  I don't dislike Tiger as much as the above statements may make it seem.

•  

A-hem....

First of all, one needs to qualify primarily and make the team. If Phil and TW don't qualify, they'll be the first to say if they shouldn't be on the team. I love watching them play, but father time gets us all.

As for Furyk, let us not forget the gag job he had last time at Medinah. He's too fragile and his putting is a mess, so while he's trending OK right now, I wouldn't be heart broken if he's not there.

•  

TNT009
    Use TW and PM as asst coaches....

Now that makes sense.......and do away with MJ....they have the experience and motivation.........three big time names to drive the younger generation.....

•  

Tiger has 2-3 more tournaments to prove himself fit for the RC. I hope he does because his presence really brings a lot to my viewing pleasure.

• 3348 points

It's a very tough call they  have been US golf for 20 years which mean ratings but right now they are far from top players. Tiger is so unpredictable I guess it's why people seem so curious to see if he can turn the switch.

.Both are said to be great in the team room but it has not meant much. Keegan and Phil were a great team but it appears neither will qualify unless they win very soon. Spots 1-7 are lock's Zach is almost a shoe in. looks like it may come down to Reed, Phil and Brendan Todd

Tiger, IMO will be on the team for the reason kncmellen stated - money. Phil has a decent chance to qualify but needs a  win or a streak of good golf. However he usually plays uninspired  this time of year.

Tiger and Phil, while they are HOF players  have not individually added much to the Ryder cup teams going by their records  Very mediocre for each guy and that was when they were playing much better golf.

Its not shaping up too well for the US. Maybe it's time for Jordan and Rickie to step forward as the new face's of US Ryder cup golf .

• 2038 points

While it mat be considered sacrilegious I would rather see some young guns that are playing well get the spots.

•  
    I'd be shocked if Tiger agreed to be an assistant. Just doesn't seem like his thing.
    • 2040 points

tdogg21
    I'd be shocked if Tiger agreed to be an assistant. Just doesn't seem like his thing.

Ya I agree I can't see them taking "Coaching" positions.  They are both proud and thinking their games are still some of the best of the best in the world.  While they do move the media needle, they both lack games that are peaking at the right time.  While Zach Johnson, Dustin Johnson and Rickie Fowler seem to be peaking I think the majority of US stars are not playing that well right now.  Stricker has been steady in these events in the past and may not qualify due to semi-retirement schedule.  Spieth and Furyk will need huge weeks should they make the team.  Kuchar is steady but not exactly real hot right now, and Mahan who can be great at times has been missing all year.  Several questions for US squad and we will be playing crafty Europeans on their soil in most likely their type of course and weather.  Pretty tough task, Coach Watson may need to saddle up after his great display at the Open championship.  

•  

Well, well, well, we are the greatest speculators about some things.  The only one who really has a say is TW, oh thet is Tom Watson.  He probably knows a little more about it than we do.  He will talk to the players he is considering to see who is up to the task.  In his mind he will field the team he feels can win.  Unfortunately, the Ryder Cup has turned into something similar to soccer.  Watching 24 of some of the best players in the world play together is amazing.  

• 1720 points

Going to watch Ryder Cup action regardless of who in on Team USA.  But I am sure T Woods and P Mickleson will both be selected to the team.  So many good young US players available and yet,  Watson will bow to pressure to have those two on the squad.  Oh well, still going to be a fun contest and I am sure the best team will win.  

• 3348 points

I will definitely watch no matter who is selected but there comes a time  when you need to force the young guys to step up and stop using Tiger and Phil as a crutch and hope they play well.