Player withdrawals.

Player withdrawals.

•  

Doesn't it seem that more and more of the top tier guys are withdrawing from tournaments the last few years?

TT

• 614 points

Agree -- it's always interesting that they only withdraw when playing poorly.  Rarely do you see a guy playing a good round get hurt???

• 1776 points

With all the endorsements and the large payouts, they are probably less likely to play through twinges, tweaks and pains. The pressures on joints and ligaments have to be heightened at their swing speeds.

•  

OUTIGER
    Doesn't it seem that more and more of the top tier guys are withdrawing from tournaments the last few years?

TT

A WD looks better than a score in the 80s.  And they don't need the prize money.

•  

Only when they are playing poorly.....

•  

19hole

Well....I was kind of hinting to that fact.  ;)   Swoosh must be uncomfortable.

TT

•  

19hole

Sad thing too.....Mr Hogan must be turning over in his grave....think of all the pain he played through.....

•  

If the injury is really debilitating, the player should probably sit out at least a few weeks.  Maybe even through the Masters...

• 1812 points

There was an interesting discussion on the  community last month regarding this.  Credit to tee2green for the link to the article and discussion.

www.golfdigest.com/.../undercover-pro-fake-injuries

•  

Amazing how great one's back feels when they are firing 65.

• 4333 points

The question really is : how many rounds has he played in practice recently, has he been doing PT for the back, etc.  If he hasn't played a lot of golf, and hasn't been working on the back (that was clearly a problem last season) then he definitely isn't ready to be out there.  Why would you even play in a tournament if you weren't 100%

I agree with most of you, he was shooting a horrid round and the back complaint was a convenient excuse.  Did it hurt?  Very possibly, did it hurt enough to not finish the last four or five holes?  Probably not.  I mean he did play just OK thurs/fri but shot great Saturday.  I'd think coming off the 65 (which showed improvement over the previous days) that he was looking for a strong finish.  So yeah, I dont doubt his back hurt.   But I also again do think it was a convenient reason to not finish that horrid round.

• 5044 points

Listen to your body. You only have one and it is the only one you get.

• 2942 points

The problem is you can never tell when it's real or when it's just to get themselves off the course . Tiger has had back issues before so you never know.

The guy seems to have something every year , funny thing is on TV they always comment on how fit and buff he looks.

You don't see guys like Zach or Jason Dufner getting injured or WD very often.

• 2942 points

The problem is you can never tell when it's real or when it's just to get themselves off the course . Tiger has had back issues before so you never know.

The guy seems to have something every year , funny thing is on TV they always comment on how fit and buff he looks.

You don't see guys like Zach or Jason Dufner getting injured or WD very often.

•  

Walter Hagen once said, "I've never beaten a totally well man".