Rio 2016

Rio 2016

•  

Watched Morning Drive this morning and review of the Olympic golf course being builit in Brazil.  Design is interesting and this course will be awesome.  They also said if we picked our team now it would be Tiger, Phil, DJ and Zach....a little early.....olympic golf....this should be interesting....

•  

Chuck

Having watched the winter games now completed, I have to say that the Olympics are turning really flat, and frankly, a shadow games and financial boondoggle. I say that because the games now are chock full of "paid" athletes, and in many cases outright professionals. In some sports that is huge, like say basketball, baseball, hockey, and soon golf. I'm all for "the best players in the world" being part of the Olympic experience, but it's getting plain old boring for me. Now the NHL is positioning itself to get paid more for loaning their athletes because of the risk of injury.

I love the NHL for a reason, and that is to see my favorite team win the Stanley Cup. Seeing my team broken up into 6 international teams to play a competition against one another doesn't cut it. Give me the days when true amateurs played, and won, against the best out there. Nobody can say that the 1980 hockey matches weren't the greatest ever played. My Canadian friends will say it was the 2010 games, but that was NHL North vs. NHL South. Great game and series, but still Pro's vs. Pros. How many in a case?

Explain to me how adding golf to the Olympics, and having the Tour guys playing is going to bring up the Olympic spirit. Frankly, professional golfers more embody that spirit every day than any other sport (Honesty, Integrity, Sportsmanship, etc.). We already have international competition every other year with the Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup. How is the Olympics really any different? Oh yes, a gold medal.

I think the IOC is getting a tad bit too, shall I say money grabbing with some of these moves. Call me a purist. But even laying golf aside a bit, the games are just too much of a financial shell game.

Off the soap box.....

•  

Can't disagree......I personally think the Olympics should be for amateurs only and have a clear cut definition of an amateur....if you get paid in any form to play a sport you are a professional.......I too loved it when our best amateurs against your best amateurs but then some countries amateurs were playing for company teams but not being declared as professionals.....it is a crazy catch 22........it is all about "show me the money"....it is an expensive venture to put on an Olympics and I do not know how some of these countries manage it......Russia barely made it and some of their projects still did not come in on time.......I would be willing to say they lost money.......I read an article in the sports section this am rearding the NHL unhappiness with the Olympics....many of the returning players are hurt and during the three weeks attendance was down.......let's get back to the Olympics spirt of the games and bring back the amateurs to the games......let the pros make their big bucks and not interfer with the ongoing pro league play......with all due respect....I'm just sayin'   :-)

•  

Randy,

I do agree with a lot of what you said, but at the end of the day, I'm a total Olympic junkie!  I can't get enough of Olympic sports.  There is not one event in the summer or winter Olympics I don't enjoy watching.  I think offering up the chance to be an Olympic athlete means a lot to these guys.  I think you'll see guys really trying hard to win a medal for their country.  Sure, you'll have guys who don't care and probably will even skip it.  But just think about that guy towards the bottom of the world rankings who gets to march into the stadium with his country as an Olympic athlete.  To me, all of the IOC BS is worth it for that to happen.

•  

If anything, I think the Olympics has the potential to bring more awareness to the sport of golf and can help showcase the sport to a potential new audience.  I was watching the same review of the golf course being built and wonder about the timeframe for being completed for the games as well as the maturity of the course by then.  Hopefully the course will all come together on time and be spectacular.

•  

Could care less about the Olympics.... Especially the summer games.. I love the track events and it kills me to see how many nonUSA competitors train, go to college here and live here... Heck, might as well call them US athletes!

• 4396 points

I certainly hope golf in the olympics takes off.  It could certainly be a great addition!

I also hope the venue is ready.  There has been much talk of the course being barely ready in time.  It needs to be up to what the golfers are used to playing on (tournament conditions) and hopefully not the day of.  Preferably well prior.

•  

Much of the contests look like something a bunch of kids made up in their backyard. Gee before you know it they will have shuffleboard oops wait a minute they do but they play it on ice.

•  

bholley
    Much of the contests look like something a bunch of kids made up in their backyard. Gee before you know it they will have shuffleboard oops wait a minute they do but they play it on ice.

Hey now.... Leave hockey alone my friend.

•  

Tar Heel
    bholleyMuch of the contests look like something a bunch of kids made up in their backyard. Gee before you know it they will have shuffleboard oops wait a minute they do but they play it on ice.

Refering to Curling which played normally in a non-olympic setting usually involves hurling (not the Irish game but the Irish do a lot of that also).

However I think hockey should do away the shoot out and just have a fight to settle the game.

•  

bholley
    Tar HeelbholleyMuch of the contests look like something a bunch of kids made up in their backyard. Gee before you know it they will have shuffleboard oops wait a minute they do but they play it on ice.

Refering to Curling which played normally in a non-olympic setting usually involves hurling (not the Irish game but the Irish do a lot of that also).

However I think hockey should do away the shoot out and just have a fight to settle the game.

Now we are talking......isn't that what hockey is all about......you go to see a fight and sometimes a good game of shuffleboard on ice breaks out........we play shuffleboard and corn hole in the south.....right Bruce.......gentlemens games......and let's not forget half rubber......Bruce we could team up and play in the Olympics, because at sometime, someday in the near future, if there is enough money in it, it will happen.....lol.....  :-)

• 3033 points

Olympics are definitely stale now for the most part because there is 100% about $$ now, professionals should not be involved at all .

Golf will be a novelty in the Olympics and people will watch but as a fan it's definitely not gonna mean any more than the Ryder cup  maybe a little more than the Presidents cup.

•  

Chuck in the rural South Corn Hole has an entirely different meaning. Just remember if you are ever in a canoe in North Georgia and hear banjos it means you need to paddle faster.