Scott has new caddie at Sony....

Scott has new caddie at Sony....

•  

For the first time since Colonial in 2011, Adam Scott will have a new caddie on the bag this week at the Sony Open.  No, Steve Williams is not ready to retire.

''He's tired. He's old,'' Scott said of Williams, who turned 50 last week. ''One week in a row is enough.''  Williams called it the start of his semi-retirement. He has talked about cutting back on his schedule in the next year or two, though it would seem peculiar to come all the way to Hawaii just for one week.

The caddie failed to mention that the New Zealand Super Saloon Championship is next week, followed by the New Zealand Saloon Championships.

''He's chomping at the bit to have a go,'' Scott said. ''He's earned it. I'll let him drive one week, as long as he comes back.''

That won't be until the Honda Classic. For the Sony Open, the Masters champion will have a friend on the bag.

Must be nice to have an understanding boss and friend.....

•  

Chuck, do you think you really need to cut and paste a story from the Golf Channel's web site and post it here? I think most of us read their stuff already. At least give them credit for the story.

•  

My apologizies, Don....that article was taken from ESPN Golf for those who do not follow that site....thought it might be of interest...with all due respects.....  :-)

•  

I had not read anything about this story so I am glad he posted it, keep it up chuck.

•  

Whaql1
    I had not read anything about this story so I am glad he posted it, keep it up chuck.

same here...I have been in full PGA show mode!

•  

Send us some sneak peeks DG

TT

•  

ChuckZ

My apologizies, Don....that article was taken from ESPN Golf for those who do not follow that site....thought it might be of interest...with all due respects.....  :-)

Same story on the Golf Channel website, no difference. No worries. Personally, I thought it was a "non" story. Williams has already said he's ready to retire and would have if Adam had not persuaded him to wait one more year.

• 1141 points

I had heard Williams was going to take some weeks off and do his driving and family things.  He will for sure be on the bag for the majors and some big money gigs, but I can see him cutting way back this season.  Will be strange not seeing him making the rounds after he calls it quits.  He is a fixture like some other caddies.  

• 704 points

I hadn't heard this as well Thanks CHUCK!

• 4203 points

ChuckZ
    For the first time since Colonial in 2011, Adam Scott will have a new caddie on the bag this week at the Sony Open.  No, Steve Williams is not ready to retire.

''He's tired. He's old,'' Scott said of Williams, who turned 50 last week. ''One week in a row is enough.''  Williams called it the start of his semi-retirement. He has talked about cutting back on his schedule in the next year or two, though it would seem peculiar to come all the way to Hawaii just for one week.

The caddie failed to mention that the New Zealand Super Saloon Championship is next week, followed by the New Zealand Saloon Championships.

''He's chomping at the bit to have a go,'' Scott said. ''He's earned it. I'll let him drive one week, as long as he comes back.''

That won't be until the Honda Classic. For the Sony Open, the Masters champion will have a friend on the bag.

Must be nice to have an understanding boss and friend.....

I really don't have a lot of time with a wife, kids, job, and a couple of hobbies to follow many online news forums. I choose this one generally. I am most interested in what members opinions are and waht they are interested in.

I appreciate the aggregation that everyone does here. I would have missed this piece of information. I like Scott and Williams so this was relevant to me.

Thanks Chuck.

• 2397 points

the real story is who will be on Scott's bag this week or any week when Stevie does his own thing.  Also what affect does a PT caddie mean for continuity and Scott's game?  

•  

It's great that he is able to do this.  I'm sure Adam Scott realizes Scotty is a good asset for him so he doesn't mind him cutting back.  But I thought I had read he wasn't going to cut his schedule back until next year.  Either way, good for him.

• 3302 points

I'll be glad when he fully retires.