Tiger urged enforcer rule on Steve Williams

Tiger urged enforcer rule on Steve Williams

•  

Interesting interview with Steve.  Guess all caddies are there to protect their players to a degree.  Worked with Annika a couple of years and her caddie,  Terry was very protective of her.....the article is interesting if you care to read it........

www.sbnation.com/.../tiger-woods-caddy-steve-williams-hyundai-tournament-of-champions-2013

• 4638 points

While protecting your player may be a part of the job description for a professional golf caddy, destroying people's property and aggressive confrontation is not. If your player is bring thrown off his/her game by "fans" and their antics, call in the real pros for that sort of behavior. If a fan or pro photographer has a camera in hand, more than likely the fan/photographer is allowed to have that camera in hand. If  the fan/pro photographer doesn't understand how to be discrete in using his/her photography equipment, call in the cops on course to eject  the offender. As rude as it is to see a bystander act inappropriately, it is just as bad to see the players and their support team act in the same manner.

•  

Having worked tournaments as a marshal chairman, I agree....there is security on the course and all a player has to do is ask for assistance and they will get it....hole captains are miked and can have security on the hole quickly to handle any situation....in working with Terry and Annika, he was protective but NEVER rude to fans.....I was in charge of a security detail that followed her inside the ropes and other select players.......guess some players overdo it....and that is uncalled for.....

• 4178 points

Caddy's job and livelyhood are to help his player shoot as low a score as possible. How many missed cuts, top tens finishes, and tournaments are decided by a stroke or two?

If the Tour officials were doing their jobs there would be no need for enforcers. If the people that were the object of Stevie's "enforcer" attention were within their "rights" I am certain a big deal would of been made of it.

If I were Sergio's caddy the jerks in NY would have been sent off.

•  

Wow, did not realize all this was going on inside the ropes exactly!  Thanks for sharing!

• 4178 points

This should go with out saying but...

Since Stevie and other caddies get a percentage of winnings...if some obnoxious overzealous fan photographer was irratating the caddies. Screwing with his paycheck. A thumping would be warranted.

• 2397 points

I smell a book in the works....... probably sell like Haney's did.  Even in retirement Tiger will be helping Stevie make money.  

•  

I think Steve is way out of bounds.  I would think an incident would have more effect on the player than the offender would have.

Steve may be a great caddy but he has let this really go to his head.  Tiger won before  with Fluff who also got a little big for his  britches and Tiger has won after him.  I could probably caddy for Tiger and he would win.

• 2397 points

By the way thats only Stevie's view and we all know how he feels about Tiger.  We shall see if Tiger dignifies this with a response or it dies ... at least till Stevies money grab book comes out.  Not a fan of Steve Williams.

•  

IMHO it is a shame the split between TW and Williams has been so acrimonious.

They had spectacular success toghether and obviouslysy their great relationship has been forever fractured but would have been more classy for them to both move on without any attention. Not much hard about '"no comment" but just doesn't realy happen these days.

• 447 points

I enjoyed reading that.