PGA Stock

PGA Stock

• 4178 points

If the PGA were a for profit company. Would you buy stock?

•  

Mark, what did their bottom line look like this year, if I were interested........I have stayed clear of purchasing stock for many years....what say you "businessman".....of course that information is probably not public....... ? :-)

•  

It wouldn't do any good to own stock it is a "Not for Profit"

• 1146 points

Heck yeah, they're bringing in a lot of money.

• 1382 points

Not for profit companies can be publicly traded.  Most commonly, health insurance companies.  Heck, even some of the exchanges themselves are/were not-for-profit, as ironic as it seems.  The New York Board of Trade was an example, think "Trading Places".

If the PGA were publicly traded, I'd probably buy and hold.  

• 704 points

Yeah I would invest some money into it

•  

kmcmellen
    Not for profit companies can be publicly traded.  Most commonly, health insurance companies.  Heck, even some of the exchanges themselves are/were not-for-profit, as ironic as it seems.  The New York Board of Trade was an example, think "Trading Places".

If the PGA were publicly traded, I'd probably buy and hold.

Which not for profit health insurance companies are publicly traded?

•  

"No one person or group of people can own a nonprofit organization. You don't see nonprofit shares traded on stock exchanges, and any equity in a nonprofit organization belongs to the organization itself, not to the board of directors or the staff. Nonprofit assets can be sold, but the proceeds of the sale must benefit the organization, not private parties."

•  

taking a look at the top salaries in the golf industry, it becomes very clear the PGA Tour must be bringing in A LOT of money.  not sure how much "profit" they would have, but I would probably buy.

• 4178 points

Let me be more clear. If the PGA gave up it's Nonprofit status and had IPO how many of you think it could be a profitable venture? I think it could be wildly profitable. They would have to restructure their entire business model.

• 1382 points

I stand corrected.  I worked for Independence Blue Cross a number of years ago, they were non-profit, once gobbled up in a merger, they became part of Wellpoint (for profit) and are publicly traded.  My mistake.

•  

No, just like any company revenue growth are key plus the industry is mature for the moment and is very cyclical.    IMHO

•  

MarkWDallasTx

Let me be more clear. If the PGA gave up it's Nonprofit status and had IPO how many of you think it could be a profitable venture? I think it could be wildly profitable. They would have to restructure their entire business model.

It's not going to happen anyway, so the point is moot. You might as well speculate as to when pigs will fly. I think it will be on a Tuesday. :-)

•  

Pigs can't fly between Friday sundown and Saturday dusk. It ain't kosher.

•  

Interesting fact.  The PGA is non-profit.  This year at the PGA Championships, they charged tax on the volunteers registration package.   We questioned that and never got a response.  First time in my 21 years of volunteering I had been charged tax on a volunteer registration package.......no one could answer why.......