Stevie Williams in the HOF

Stevie Williams in the HOF

• 1146 points

Stevie has announced that he's pretty much done after the 2013-2014 season.  Who is Scotty likely to pick up? Do you think Stevie would reconsider to get back on TW's bag? Is Stevie the best caddie ever? and Will Stevie be the first caddie in the HOF? What do you think?

•  

Steve Williams fan.  With the number of victories that he has looped for, you would have to consider him for the HOF......do not think that SW and TW will hook up again......that ship has sailed.......Stevie did well with both players and to tag him the best caddie ever .....is it the arrow or the indian.......they have to work in tandum to hit the target.......but the records speak for themselves.........   : )

•  

Caddies do not belong in the HOF. No matter how well you carry the bag and give distances, you are not executing the shots. The caddie may have helped a player win an event but the caddie didn't hit a shot or make a putt.

• 1379 points

I respectfully disagree with that statement.  In my opinion, caddies should be eligible for the HOF.  The HOF should be about the individuals' contribution to the game as a whole.  Whether you were a touring pro or not, if your contribution to the game merits recognition, then you should be in the HOF.

For example, someone like Butch Harmon who has coached many of the greats, could potentially be in the HOF.  The same could be said for some of the great course architects, or PGA members and professionals, who have nurtured and grown the game outside of the spotlight of TV.  In that same vein, caddies like Stevie or Squeaky, should also be considered.

I'm not saying they should be "in", merely measured for their contribution to the game.  If they were elected to the HOF, I would have no problem with it.

Just my 2 cents.  Feel free to ignore me if you think my opinion is nuts.

•  

i think the HOF needs to get their focus straight before tackling the caddy question.  what really qualifies you to be in the HOF?  not everyone in the HOF is in there because of their golfing ability and they need to decide where that line will be.  if caddies do make it in, it will be hard to argue against Stevie.

• 2947 points

Not too sure caddies should be in the HOF. Maybe some type of mention/recognition. Steve Williams does have a very impressive list of golfers he has caddied for, and if the HOF does includes caddies, he should certainly be in the mix. However, to be lucky enough to be with a premier player, doesn't necessarily mean you can ride his coattails in the HOF. Does a center in football get into the hall because he snapped and blocked for Payton Manning? Does a catcher in baseball get in because he caught a HOF pitcher for a few years: no, and doesn't a catcher have a bigger effect on a pitcher's success? And that is arguable because the pitcher has to make the pitches no matter who is catching and calling the game. And the golfer has to make the shots no matter who is on his bag. How many of Tiger's or Adam's tournaments would have been lost because they had a different caddie? I guess only they could answer that, but I wouldn't think it would be too many. The caddies do their job: learn course knowledge, how the greens break, distances etc., and through constantly being with the player, know how and how far he hits a ball. Is that really HOF stuff? Just my opinions of course, we all have them.

•  

I bet if we asked the tour players, they would agree that the caddies deserve to be in the HOF.......can't disagree that the player hits the shot or the one that strokes that ball towards the cup, BUT I'll bet without that caddie getting the correct yardage and clubing them correctly and giving them a good read on that putt their score might be a little bit higher......they are a team......a very refined machine......additionally, you might call their caddies their counselor and coach on the course and in some cases their friend...... : )

• 4140 points

No Caddies in the HOF!

•  

I don't think George. H. W. Bush, Frank Churkinian, Bing Crosby, Dwight Eisenhower, Dan Jenkins and a host of others ever hit a shot in an major tournament, yet they are all in the HOF. Given that, why not caddies?

•  

The only caddy who currently deserves to be in the HOF is Eddie Lowery, and that's based far more on what he did for golf after caddying for Francis Ouimet.  There are a lot of caddies who have just as strong a case as Steve if caddies were ever to be considered:  Argea (Nicklaus), Bones McKay, Bruce Edwards (Tom Watson's long-time caddie), Andy Martinez (Johnny Miller among others), and even Fluff (Tiger and Furyk).  Remember, tour caddies are a relatively recent adoption for professional golf.  And never forget Trevino's long time caddie Herman Mitchell, or Carl Jackson, the man who caddied for Crenshaw at the Masters.

•  

There's already a caddie HOF... That's where he belongs!

• 2385 points

pulplvr makes a great point about Eddie Lowery and offers a number of other deserving caddies.  Anyone know who of these are already in the Caddie HOF (TNT009 indicates there is one) ?

• 3694 points

Here's the caddie hall of fame

www.wgaesf.org/.../b.8558121

•  

If owners and coaches can be in the football hall of fame, should caddies not be allowed in the golf hall of fame???

•  

A lot of the coaches were once players and they're directly involved in the action!!   Point proven, I could caddie for TW at Torrey or Arnies place and I wouldn't make a bit of difference!