Will the struggles of Rory and Kyle Sanley...

Will the struggles of Rory and Kyle Sanley...

• 3134 points

Make guy's  hesitate jumping ship when it comes to switching equpiment and sponsors ?  I know Rory  is a little different case because his contract was for 180 mill. Not many guys will get those numbers but both these guys were not even close and the tour guys spend so much time getting their equipment just right .  

I know  $$ talk loudly but I bet Rory probably has a much better season if he stuck with his Scotty  and his TITLEIST bag.

• 5457 points

Rory is enjoying life a bit.  As a child prodigy he's finally gotten a taste of freedom/the good life.  While the equipment issues are significant, they are not insurmountable. I think it will be his drive to win/focus and work ethic that will get him back.

•  

i agree, but it's a business.  and if you have the chance to make a life-altering career move, you take it.  these aren't the first guys to struggle after a change and they won't be the last.  i think Rory starts to put things together next season.  

• 5378 points

You know, if you could say that Rory's swing was EXACTLY the same as his swing when playing Titleist equipment, then you could argue that he made a mistake.Is it possible that Rory's problems go further and deeper than equipment?

• 1680 points

While I agree that Rory struggled in 2013 based on his 2011/2012 success.... let's not lose sight of the fact that he is financially set for life and he still has 2 major victories. Are you saying a slower season means the rest of his career will be a bust? Too early to tell

As for Kyle Stanley....I don't see an issue with his season... 1.4 million dollars and 77th in fedex cup points and 62nd in money is hardly a bad season.... The arguement can be made that he is playing better now with the Nike gear than the Titleist gear. What did he do after his 2 hot weeks in 2012? T16 at Bridgestone? T17 at WGC Match Play? This year he had a 3rd at New Orleans and the Memorial as well as a 6th at Wells Fargo. He certainly started slow but he caught stride in April.

•  

tdogg21
    i agree, but it's a business.  and if you have the chance to make a life-altering career move, you take it.  these aren't the first guys to struggle after a change and they won't be the last.  i think Rory starts to put things together next season.

Might have to go along with this summation.....equipment change equals time to adapt.......I really like Rory and do wish he had stayed with the home team, but he is a businessman and has to look out for his future and I too can think of 180 million reasons to change......time will tell.....and I hope it works out for him career wise as well.....cz  :  )

• 3134 points

I think Rory will be fine ....., anyone will take the money because it was such a great sum . He also had a lot going on in changing management and all that.

I don't know how anyone could say Kyle Stanley played better......he played in less tournaments but missed more cuts made a million less ,that's not playing better to me.

My main point is I can see changing if the difference is tens of millions, but if its a million or two per season if and you  then struggle get used to the equipment and bank a million less because of poor play than you did with the other clubs what is really gained ?  

•  

I'm sure Rory will come good eventually because he's talented above alot of guys.  Stanley and even Watney showed signs but failed to do anything meaningful in the inaugural swoosh season.  Time will tell if they can break back through.  I'm guessing their confidence is more fragile than someone like Rory

• 5586 points

tee2green
    I think Rory will be fine ....., anyone will take the money because it was such a great sum . He also had a lot going on in changing management and all that.

I don't know how anyone could say Kyle Stanley played better......he played in less tournaments but missed more cuts made a million less ,that's not playing better to me.

My main point is I can see changing if the difference is tens of millions, but if its a million or two per season if and you  then struggle get used to the equipment and bank a million less because of poor play than you did with the other clubs what is really gained ?

I agree. Most of the players can't command that sort of monetary gains in changing equipment. Dance with who brung you.

•  

They knew what they were getting into (by leaving).  Tim says it the best - its a business.  FJ does not want to put all its money into a few golfers.  In fact, most of the players that play FJ products do so because they want to and not because they are paid to play it.  Remember the slogan - "The Mark of a Player".  It is not "The Mark of This One Very Expensive Marketing Campaign for a Single Top 10 Player".  I believe that FJ is trying to grow the brand loyalty from a broad base.

Rory and Nick may not have had the number of wins that they had last year, but they probably put a few more bucks in their bank accounts in 2013.  As sole proprietors, wouldn't they consider that a successful season?  

For those questioning whether they will bounce back, I ask this - Since they got paid, what do they have to bounce back from?

• 3134 points

Todd L   - so what your saying is  since they got paid they shouldn't worry about poor play . Rory states his goal is to be number one so he does have a lot to bounce back from as does Watney. You really believe winning golf tournaments isnt  important ?

Rory probably got five times what Watney did so he is better off but just being satisfied getting paid makes for a pretty shallow individual and an Anthony Kim like career.

I doubt that they think as you do.

• 2653 points

I think that players may weigh others success or "failure" with equipment changes when evaluating a new contract however my guess is that the contract value may weigh more heavily in the decision.  i may be wrong but I have to believe that rory tried the Nke clubs and hit them well before he opted to switch ( although the money was fairly decent). thus  IMHO he has developed other issues which are affecting his play.  It may be love or as someone mentioned above it could be his freedom as an adult.  Whatever it is i think he will return in 2014 as a solid player.

• 4511 points

When it comes to pros I can't really buy that a wholesale equipment change can have such an effect.

With these pros, their setups are VERY well documented and any of the MFRs can provide them a set of clubs that is built IDENTICALLY to what they were playing prior.  You might get slight differences in feel or ball flight, but they'll never be big enough where a professional can't figure it out in short order.

I think Rory's issues go deeper than equipment.  And I don't know that they're really "issues" per se.  He's young, he's had quite a few significant life happenings.  I think he's really just fallen into the "enjoy life" mode a little more so.  If he were to buckle down and go golf only, we'd see the old Rory return.  Or maybe not, maybe he has some significant mental hurdles that have popped up.

I certainly hope he can find "it" again.  He was fun to watch!

• 3134 points

I have no doubt that Rory will get his game back to a high level and I know the size of his deal is one that very few are going to be offered.

I was more referring to other guys of non " super star" status the guys who take a million or so more a year than what they had before, then somewhat struggle with their game and because of their struggle they end up making a million or two less in winnings that happened in the cases of Stanley and to a lesser extent  Watney.

I mean if you  make 1 million or a half million less because your finding a comfort level  with  for a couple years it adds up ..

•  

etakmit
    When it comes to pros I can't really buy that a wholesale equipment change can have such an effect.

With these pros, their setups are VERY well documented and any of the MFRs can provide them a set of clubs that is built IDENTICALLY to what they were playing prior.  You might get slight differences in feel or ball flight, but they'll never be big enough where a professional can't figure it out in short order.

I think Rory's issues go deeper than equipment.  And I don't know that they're really "issues" per se.  He's young, he's had quite a few significant life happenings.  I think he's really just fallen into the "enjoy life" mode a little more so.  If he were to buckle down and go golf only, we'd see the old Rory return.  Or maybe not, maybe he has some significant mental hurdles that have popped up.

I certainly hope he can find "it" again.  He was fun to watch!

I spoke with a former touring pro, who is now a respected instructor in Myrtle Beach.  We talked about this very issue and he said that it does take a period of time when you change equipment but in some instances the heads are the same only the paint and the name is different........but he did go on to say that he felt Rory made a big mistake changing clubs from Titleist to Nike...he felt that at the level Rory was playing and the amount he was earning, it would probably have balanced out over the ten year period with winnings and endorsements..........he also a certified fitter and they do not even carry Nike clubs....you just don't know what is going on in that six inch arena...afterall the game is 90% mental.....Rory is a gamer and I guess we will never for sure.....fairways and greens in 2014.....cz  : )