Penalty on TW at Conway Farms

Penalty on TW at Conway Farms

• 3299 points

I don't understand the exact rules here.

TW says the ball oscillated versus the Rules Official who says it moved.  

Can anyone offer an layman's explanation of the difference?

•  

I looked at the review and his ball moved from it's original position and that created a penality if he failed to replace it in it's original position.  It may have only been a 64th of an inch, but it moved.   To occillate, the ball would have to have moved and came back into it's original position on it's own.  If Tiger would have replaced it, it would have only been a one shot penality.  Being he did not, if became a two shot penality.  Hope that helps.....cz : )  

• 4188 points

As I understand it. Oscliated = It wiggled but remained in the same spot.

• 1362 points

If a ball oscillates (ie. moves away from, then moves back to its original position) then it has not technically 'moved' and no penalty is required. But if it has 'moved' (ie did not return back in its original position) then it is the players responsibility to place it back to its original position and incur a 1 stroke penalty. If the ball is deemed to have moved and not replaced back by the player then that is a 2 stroke penalty. TW did not think it moved but rather just oscillated so he didn't place it back in its original position and therefore incurred a 2 stroke penalty.

•  

When the ball oscillates it is staying in place but shakes a little.  This happens a lot in the wind on a green, you also see it in tall grass where the grass is struggling to keep the ball in position.  A ball is deemed to have moved if it changes position no matter how small.  Have to be careful when removing twigs and especially pine straw.

Now if it is moved by an outside agency i.e. the wind there is no penalty.

•  

The one thing I don't like about the assessment of this penalty is that it was the result of an amateur videographer's actions, not assessed due to a player's comment, or observation by a rules official.  We've talked about this on the Forum before.  Players who get more coverage get scrutinized more carefully.  At least they did not DQ him for signing an incorrect scorecard.

•  

pulplvr
    The one thing I don't like about the assessment of this penalty is that it was the result of an amateur videographer's actions, not assessed due to a player's comment, or observation by a rules official.  We've talked about this on the Forum before.  Players who get more coverage get scrutinized more carefully.  At least they did not DQ him for signing an incorrect scorecard.

i completely agree with you on this.  i'm tired of seeing guys penalized because someone in the crowd just happened to be recording him.  and honestly, in the replay, you can see tiger hesitate when the ball moves.  and the way the ball moved, i believe from his view (directly above the ball) it probably looked like it just oscillated.  it moved so little down, he probably couldn't tell.  now with that being said, the penalty was the correct call.  i just don't like how it went down.

• 3299 points

Okay. So I have the same understanding as the rest of you. If it oscillates, it has moved but stayed in the same physical position -- i.e. it rotated. Now from watching the video a few times, it's clear that the logo on the ball drop down but it's not clear that the moves laterally to a new position.

• 3718 points

I've watched the video a billion times and I'm still undecided on whether or not it moved.  I think I'm leaning more towards it having moved though.

pulplvr

It wasn't an amateur.  It was a PGA hired videographer.  He called his boss who called the rules folks, etc.  Fortunately for Tiger he did it before the round was over, instead of doing it afterwards.  Then it would've been a DQ as has been mentioned.

• 2438 points

On the video its obvious it rolled to left and stayed it did not oscillate. I can see Tiger not being able to tell it moved that much by naked eye and from where he was standing but he saw the tape. He is in denial if he still believe's it never moved from the original spot.

• 1362 points

Not only did it drop, it also rotated towards TW's feet so you would be able to see that from his perspective.

• 519 points

The thing that I am most against is this continues to happen.  The great thing about this game is personal integrity while playing.  I don't think Tiger intentionally broke a rule.  The fact that he is taped on every shot he hits another problem, had this been another player in the field he would not have been videotaped.  Let the players police themselves.

•  

after reading more about it, it was a PGA Tour videographer  who was hired to follow and film Tiger all day.  to me, that's unfair.

• 4188 points

This off the original did it move penalty. If the PGA hires a videographer to follow and film Tiger for it's benefitY ) ***Making money..Tiger is still the biggest draw in golf) Should Tiger have the right to say I don't want to have a videographer?

• 3299 points

grillionjj"[quote user="grillionjj
     Let the players police themselves.

Or everyone should stop pretending that the players are actually policing themselves and just make sure that a rules official is with every player for every shot.  And that a scorekeeper keeps the official score and not a player.

Also, welcome to the FJC @Grillonji!