Phoenix Open Bans...

Phoenix Open Bans...

• 5399 points

I loved when I saw this headline today -- "Phoenix Open gets rid of one of its most popular attractions:"

It seemed so timely given the focus on the current craze of yelling random phrases just after a pro hits a tee shot.  Alas, they aren't touching this one and are banning caddy races.

www.golfwrx.com/.../the-caddy-races-banned-from-the-phoenix-open

•  

probably not a bad idea.  i know it's all fun and games, but what do you do if a caddy tears an ACL?  could really mess up a player for the week.

• 3548 points

I really don't have a problem with the races, it's one week a year. If the caddies don't want to participate they are not made to (booed yes but, not forced). The Phoenix Open is a novelty and as long as the "fun and games" doesn't become an every week thing I think they should allow it.

• 5550 points

There are Caddie races at he Byron Nelson here in Dallas. Is all Caddie Racing banned or just Phoenix?

• 4499 points

I think its the PGA focusing on the wrong thing and removing fun from the sport is never a good idea.

• 2042 points

I hate how they are banning this.  I think this was an amazing way to treat the fans to something different, and I think these races could help a players game as well, especially if they are having a bad round and need a little laugh to get things off their mind.    Who couldnt sit back and laugh at these guys running down with a bag strapped to them??  

•  

shawks11
    I really don't have a problem with the races, it's one week a year. If the caddies don't want to participate they are not made to (booed yes but, not forced). The Phoenix Open is a novelty and as long as the "fun and games" doesn't become an every week thing I think they should allow it.

I agree.  The players and caddies are used to the boobirds on this hole and it is a one time a year event.  They have a choice.  Over the years they have enlarged the viewing area to encourage the rowdies on this par three.  The thunderbirds have done an outstanding job with this tournament and raised a lot of money.  Like the tournament at Hilton Head, SC people go their to party.  Sometimes, the PGA should leave well enough alone.  Don't take the fun out of golf..............  cz : )