New Tv contract for golf tours

New Tv contract for golf tours

• 5264 points

The Tour has jumped ship leaving NBC to take a bog money offer from Fox! Who saw this coming? Pretty interesting that the Tour thought highly of Fox's bid and their creative approach.  What do you think?

•  

As always, it's about the money.

• 2772 points

The important question is not which network has the contract but who will be the talking heads.

•  

I agree with "pulpvr"....show me the money.....as the players jump ship from sponsorships........maybe TW is not drawing like they expected and bringing enough revenue to suit the tour and they need to reach out......all kidding aside......from a business standpoint, you cannot blame them......if I were in charge, I would probably make the same decision..... cz  : )

• 2756 points

As long as I get coverage on the Golf Channel from 11-3 and 3-7 on Fox I'm happy.  Will be interesting to see what Fox does to upgrade current coverage.

• 5235 points

I am curious to see how they change telecast ad revenue model to justify the high contract.

I wonder how this will play with the Golf Channel.

Do the current talking heads have noncompetes?

•  

zacho
    The important question is not which network has the contract but who will be the talking heads.

Agreed Zacho...can hardly wait to see who will be broadcasting...I'm really hoping NOT Miller...listening to him makes me want to put my foot through the TV screen

• 5142 points

Will be nice to see/hear from fresh faces/voices and perhaps revitalise the golf industry.

• 2781 points

MarkWDallasTx
    I am curious to see how they change telecast ad revenue model to justify the high contract.

I wonder how this will play with the Golf Channel.

Do the current talking heads have noncompetes?

Since The Golf Channel is NBC I'm sure they might be taking a hit in coverage.  It will be interesting to see how it will change.  Looks like Fox is going big with the launch of Fox Sports 1!

• 819 points

Rumor has it that Fox is going to land Greg Norman.  

•  

A money play to pay off Vijay.  It will be interesting to see what commentators move over

• 5142 points

Greg Norman...hmm...that could be interesting. From what I've heard/seen, he is definitely not shy about sharing his thoughts on what he likes/dislikes about players/courses.

•  

this will be interesting.  and hopefully they get quality announcers.  i am NOT a Miller fan, but i have to admit i'll be a little sad to see him go.  i don't care for everything he says, but i appreciate it more than the guys who just suckup  to the pros.

i like how the golf channel has earlier coverage, so hopefully that stays.  but i didn't like how they would leave nbc and go to the golf channel if the tourney ran long.  that messed me up when i would record the end of an event.  so i'm glad that will be gone.

•  

The news I saw it was just the US Open is moving to Fox and Johnny Miller is out. Given it's just the USGA, it may be about Miller but I'd suspect it's about the money.

• 4423 points

Yes its the USGA from what I read also.  Meaning most of the events wont chage from a coverage perspective.  But it will be very interesting to see what the US Open turns into!