The Open Championship

The Open Championship

•  

Feeling a bit philosophical this morning as I look through some of the web sites with photos of the practice rounds for The Open. As I did, I reflected a bit on the good fortune our colleagues Mr. Holley and Mr. Higley had at playing in Scotland at St. Andrews recently, and it had me pondering....

This is now the 3rd Major of the year, and when concluded it puts most folks around the country closer to the end of their golf season than to the beginning. Never a good thought. This Open is literally 'wide open," with as many as 10-15 players with legitimate shots at a victory. Will another international player win? Wii the Euro's continue on their streak (Wimbeldon and the US Open) and snag another? Can an American break through and pick up a Major? Can TW shake his major funk and win, or perhaps Phil going back to back over the pond. Once again, there will be great theater made more compelling by some of the most beautifully natural terrains turned into a golfing facility. Always a hallmark of an Open Championship.

What makes The Open Championships special each year for me is that the courses have stood tall against the march of time and technology. Unlike US courses, these European courses have a completely naturalness, set against the sea, and always protected by an ever watchful Mother Nature. Will she be kind this year, or will she once again go on the offensive as she did last time the event was held at Muirfield. We will know soon.

The of course there are the side stories; Tom Watson still plugging away and contending in his 60's, Nich Faldo coming out of retirement to once again challenge at Muirfield, and all the other golfers trying to prepare for what unexpected foils come their way "on the ground." Yes, as FJ asked us this week, the tournaments in Europe are played on the ground and not in the air. What bounces will confound and torment the players.

I love The Open each year, because it is always filled with drama and surprises at every turn. I'll need to be in front of my TV at 2:00am here on the west coast to see the action, but will gladly do so in anticipation of seeing a great champion emerge. My heart wants to see Phil snag this one in his professional twilight, and I hope this is his year.

• 2822 points

Tar Heel
    Feeling a bit philosophical this morning as I look through some of the web sites with photos of the practice rounds for The Open. As I did, I reflected a bit on the good fortune our colleagues Mr. Holley and Mr. Higley had at playing in Scotland at St. Andrews recently, and it had me pondering....

This is now the 3rd Major of the year, and when concluded it puts most folks around the country closer to the end of their golf season than to the beginning. Never a good thought. This Open is literally 'wide open," with as many as 10-15 players with legitimate shots at a victory. Will another international player win? Wii the Euro's continue on their streak (Wimbeldon and the US Open) and snag another? Can an American break through and pick up a Major? Can TW shake his major funk and win, or perhaps Phil going back to back over the pond. Once again, there will be great theater made more compelling by some of the most beautifully natural terrains turned into a golfing facility. Always a hallmark of an Open Championship.

What makes The Open Championships special each year for me is that the courses have stood tall against the march of time and technology. Unlike US courses, these European courses have a completely naturalness, set against the sea, and always protected by an ever watchful Mother Nature. Will she be kind this year, or will she once again go on the offensive as she did last time the event was held at Muirfield. We will know soon.

The of course there are the side stories; Tom Watson still plugging away and contending in his 60's, Nich Faldo coming out of retirement to once again challenge at Muirfield, and all the other golfers trying to prepare for what unexpected foils come their way "on the ground." Yes, as FJ asked us this week, the tournaments in Europe are played on the ground and not in the air. What bounces will confound and torment the players.

I love The Open each year, because it is always filled with drama and surprises at every turn. I'll need to be in front of my TV at 2:00am here on the west coast to see the action, but will gladly do so in anticipation of seeing a great champion emerge. My heart wants to see Phil snag this one in his professional twilight, and I hope this is his year.

• 2822 points

Well said Tarheel,especially your sentiment about out Phil. It would be wonderful to see someone who has shown so much class during his career cap it off with The Open.

•  

Nice reflexion Randy. As a Major The Open will be always a great tournament with fantastic and/or thrilling stories.

•  

And it's always a good reason for contests.   I entered GolfWeek's Major Challenge for The Open.  Interesting how they have split the field into groups from which you have to choose.  Who knows how my picks will do, but that's the fun of golf, as all you fantasy golfers know.  I'm just hoping for a contest with some excitement, strong competition, and even a rules dispute/error or two.  I will be watching.

•  

Well said Randy. I'm pulling for Phil as well, it would be another feel good story at the majors this year.

•  

well said Randy.  The Open is one of my favorite tournaments of the year.  I love getting up and watching it on the weekend mornings.  It's just something about watching a major so early in the day for us east coast folks.

•  

I think I will watch early in the morning while eating my normal Scottish breakfast of runny scrambled eggs (the way they are meant to be eaten), haggis, blood sausage, and beans along with some Caledonian Beer at room temp. I'm saving the Tennent's beer for game days

•  

Hoping for big weeks from TW (long overdue) Adam Scott (would be almost poetic after last year) PM (always a lot going on when he is near the lead) and think McDowell is a real chance also and finally ... that  McIllroy will have a good week too.

That's not much to ask for ... is ist?

Didn't know Faldo was coming out of retirement for this one? Will be interesting to see how he goes. Obviously loves the place and as a two time winner there he will be treated like royalty as well.

•  

Tar Heel

I hope you had a few pounds on Phil! Nice call for us.

•  

Tiger, Adam, Lee,, and Zach all came up short at the end, along with Hunter.  Henrik stuck in fairly well, but just couldn't make the move needed.  Phil's round was awesome, as he comes out of the pack with his 66.  Terrific final round for any major, but especially Muirfield.

•  

Well, you got your wish. Phil, aka Lefty, did it by birdies on the back nine and going into the 18th hole lands on the green in 2 and puts the putt in for his bird and a final score of 3 under, winning by 3 over the field. From the beginning it looked like Westwood was going to be the man to beat, but again he just made mistakes that cost him the day and the trophy.

In retrospect, Phil played in the Scottish Open the week before and I believe that this was the reason Phil won. He was accustomed to the conditions and it was certainly a smart move on his part. And Phil joins some of the greats with wins in 3 different majors and that group is a heady group of people.

My hearty congratulations to Phil on his win.I'll bet there are going to be more wins for him before he goes to the Senior Tour and I would like to see him win one or two more Majors.

• 819 points

I really enjoyed this win from Phil.  Hope he pulls it out next year at the US Open to complete a career slam.  

•  

Happy to see Phil win. It's hard not to root for him. It seemed like at no point during the 4 days that he felt concerned about what was happening, he was always in control. I know the guys preach patience for days at all of the majors but I think their is something to be said about staying calm as well. Phil never looked flustered; Woods, Westwood, Scott, all at one point you could see that they were stressed.

•  

Great win for PH (well done TH).

Clearly played the best while everyone else faltered at crucial moments.

His last three holes *** everyone away.

A lot of very big questions about TW emerged from this tournament. Will be extremely interesting to see how he finishes the year out and how he does in the next few majors.