US Opens at Pinehurst - Do the men play first of the ladies?

US Opens at Pinehurst - Do the men play first of the ladies?

• 4617 points

Has anyone within the USGA addressed this question: With back to back US Opens, won't the second or following US Open experience less than ideal conditions for their tourney? While teeing grounds are different and thus not subject to "abuse", what about the fairways, i.e.,divots  and the condition of the greens? Is this an issue?

• 1466 points

Men play first and I think that they plan on having different landing spots on most fairways as the mens will be much farther back, most hitting 5 and 6 irons into par 4s!

•  

I'm curious to see how the crowd damage and USGA "baking" the greens for the men's event will affect conditions for the women. They'll pull it off, but the greens are going to be close to dead once those 2 weeks are over.

•  

They better not have any rough as some of those tiny gals may disappear in it .

If it's anything like Merion the gals had better start on the weights immediately or they could be in there forever.

•  

i think it's a great experiment and i'm excited to see how it goes.  i'll most likely watch some of the women's tourney, when on a typical year, i wouldn't.  i hope it all goes well and they do it again in the future.

• 1466 points

There's is very little rough on the course but instead lined with all waste bunkers with plants and such growing! Little tougher in my opinion!

•  

The men go the first week and the ladies the second.  They plan on both having the same approach shots i.e.. they would both hit a seven iron on the first hole.  The greens will roll a lot slower for the ladies somewhere around 10 , the men are planned for 12-13.

Approach angle will be critical, the greens have a lot of false fronts, sides and backs.  Balls will roll a long way away from the greens.

•  

Can they go from 12-13 back to 10 in one week?  

What, just not mow 'em!

From what I've seen (and I am by no means an expert) the ladies can really putt so would be great to seem them putting on greens the same speed as the men.

• 1466 points

NCBob
    The men go the first week and the ladies the second.  They plan on both having the same approach shots i.e.. they would both hit a seven iron on the first hole.  The greens will roll a lot slower for the ladies somewhere around 10 , the men are planned for 12-13.

Approach angle will be critical, the greens have a lot of false fronts, sides and backs.  Balls will roll a long way away from the greens.

So will they be located in the same place in the fairway off the tee or as our caddy down there told us the women will be closer to the green but hitting the same club such as your example with the 7 iron

• 3673 points

Yeah that'll be an interesting experiment for the USGA to see how quickly they can turn the course around.  They'll want tee boxes and landing areas to be different for the men/women.  Especially since the course won't really get a break with the pro-ams that happen earlier in the week and the practice rounds being played.

I can't wait to see how it goes!

•  

Is this the planned model going forward, or *** and see, or a one off?

Anyone got the scoop?

• 609 points

What if there is a Monday playoff?  One less day of practice for the ladies and one less day for the course to "heal."  

Would make it pretty tough to go from 12-13 (which I don't think they would or could do) to 10.  I personally don't think that the USGA gets the greens to the published speeds.  Plus 12-13 on the greens would be stupid hard, to the point of unfair.

•  

Gzink96
    NCBobThe men go the first week and the ladies the second.  They plan on both having the same approach shots i.e.. they would both hit a seven iron on the first hole.  The greens will roll a lot slower for the ladies somewhere around 10 , the men are planned for 12-13.

The way I understand it the tees for the ladies will allow them to hit the same club as the men do.  i.e.. If the men hit there second shot with  a 7 iron from say 175 and the ladies hit a seven  iron from 150, the ladies tee shot should put them at 150 so they also can hit the same club as the men who would have 175.

So will they be located in the same place in the fairway off the tee or as our caddy down there told us the women will be closer to the green but hitting the same club such as your example with the 7 iron

• 1628 points

There is no rough at Pinehurst #2... I just played there on Friday

It is a very large ballpark and I think if any course is capable of pulling it off... it is this and Bethpage Black

•  

It is also amazing what a little water can do to the greens........if anyone can pull it off, you can bet those professionals at Pinehurst can......I'm betting on them......cz : )